Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 9:08:33 AM EDT
For those of you who aren't familiar with him, Michael Yon is a former SF, now independent journalist in Iraq. He maintains a killer blog at

michaelyon.blogspot.com

He took this photo of a US soldier cradling a girl who was mortally wounded by a car bomb in Mosul:

It's now up for vote for Time's Photo of the year: HIT IT!
www.time.com/time/potw/2005_viewers_choice/vote.html
He's got it hotlinked from his blog so I imagine Time won't mind hotlinking.

Regular visitors to the Time Magazine website are probably familiar with a feature called "Photo of the Week," where readers vote to select the most compelling photographs from the news that week.

The photo of Major Beiger cradling the Iraqi girl, Farah, was the people's choice the first week of May, 2005. Time Magazine titled it In his Arms and used this caption:

"A US Soldier comforts a child fatally wounded in a car bomb blast in Mosul, 225 miles northwest of Baghdad."

At the end of the year, the ten photographs that polled the highest numbers during the year are selected as finalists and readers and visitors are given the opportunity to determine their choice for photo for the year. It was a tremendous honor to learn that this photograph was among those images most often selected by people; especially when I saw all the other photos, which are all amazing images. As the only amateur photographer to have his work included in this grouping, I am truly honored, but I am also aware that the power of the image I captured is what people respond to.

It was an instant of clarity in a blur of chaos that, for many of us, frames and defines the nature of this war. Any US soldier who has ever served in combat can probably give countless examples of moments like this. I just happened to be on the scene that day when a terrorist who had been trailing a Deuce Four patrol in a car packed with explosives waited until a crowd of children had gathered around the soldiers and selected that moment to drive into the crowd and detonate. Although little remained of him to be shown in this frame, the image somehow still reveals the true nature of our enemy in this war.

The link below is to a slide show featuring all ten qualifying photographs, each of which was a top vote getting photograph for the week it first ran. The slide show concludes on a page that shows all the thumbnails above check boxes that record votes. Current statistics are revealed once the "vote" button is clicked and the selection recorded by the website.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
bump

Dude he has 69% of the Vote!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Hit.

Does anyone know how to extract a photo from a Flash animation? There's a pic on that site of a soldier with a prosthetic leg I'd post here if I knew how--it's damn inspiring.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:22:33 AM EDT
[#3]
done! thanks for the link!

he's at 70% now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:23:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Done. 70%.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:02:16 AM EDT
[#5]
man, it's kinda no contest...it's the only pic that's actual news and hits you on a gut level. the other pics are basically artsy-fartsy stuff...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:37:39 AM EDT
[#6]
hit - 70% now
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#7]
HIT!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Done. That is a very powerful image. You can feel the soldier's grief.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Voted!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:15:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Voted, from every computer I own
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Done, and I STILL THINK YOU NEED TO KILL THE HOTLINK
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I think too many people are hotlink parinoids.

It's not like Time is going to look at a US Soldier holding a dead child compared to pictures of a hot air balloon and think "my gosh, how did that win over the balloon? Someone must have cooked it, trace everylink that came to the largest news mag in the world and see what happend!"

How many votes do we really give them anyway...we are not as big as we think we are in the world of the Internet. I am sure there are 1000's of other links out there for that site.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Damnit..... that image choked me all up the first time I saw it.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Hit and done. now at 70%.  BTW sheep w/ approaching storm WTF?  The others were good artsy pics though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#15]
still at 70%...those star pix are wicked cool, huh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top