Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 6:09:36 AM EDT
I've always liked* his political/economic views, but I just saw him "rant" (a Ben Stein rant != a rant by The_Macallan, of course, but that's another story) on CBS.  He went on and on about how he didn't know who "Nick and Jessica" were, and didn't care; then about how, as a Jew, he didn't get offended by Christmas trees or being wished "Merry Christmas".  Then he tied it all together nicely at the end.

I really think he should be the next Andy Rooney.  Alternatively, since he's old, too, and may not have too many good years on him left by the time Andy Rooney kicks, perhaps a network with balls (Fox?) can put him on OPPOSITE Andy Rooney.  That would be like Kasparov or Fisher saying "Check".

BTW, if anyone has TiVo or whatever and can put the vid file up, I'd appreciate it.

CBS, [approx] 9:05 a.m., CST.

* whether agreed with 100% or not, always respected them
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The man is a genius in his financial advice as well as his comedy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#2]
He should run for president!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The man is a genius in his financial advice as well as his comedy.

+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Beuler? Beuler?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Ben Stein is like a bipedal Jewish Basset Hound who gives good financial advice.   He's just likable.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#6]
He was also a speech writer for Nixon and Ford.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I just saw his rant on "Sunday Morning".

Very well spoken. Good points!

This should be played on every channel every day this time of year....

efxguy
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#8]
He did a great job; smart fellow with excellent insight.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Bueller....anyone....Bueller?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Beuler? Beuler?

DAMMIT someone beat me. Oh well, I spelled it right.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beuler? Beuler?

You know, the actual quote is "Anyone?...Anyone?..."  

No one says "Bueler?  Bueler?" in that movie.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I caught the segment too.  Ben is a brilliant man.  If he ran for pres, he would get my vote.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Actually, he does when he is taking role.  

I have seen that movie about 15 too many times.  

ETA:  Ben Stein writes for the American Spectator, also.  Great stuff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just saw his rant on "Sunday Morning".

Very well spoken. Good points!

This should be played on every channel every day this time of year....

efxguy

OK, so that was the name of the show.  I've been running around after my daughter, trying to let my wife and the newborn get some sleep.  It's been like a dog chasing it's tail, but for some reason, she just stopped in front of the TV during his rant and I got to watch it.

She must be a really good judge of character/intellect.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beuler? Beuler?

You know, the actual quote is "Anyone?...Anyone?..."  

Actually he does say "Bueller?.........Bueller?" when he is taking role.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Never saw the movie but I liked the game show he used to have on Comedy Central.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Actually he does say "Bueller?.........Bueller?" when he is taking role.

Yeah, about nine times.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Economics Teacher:  Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Simone:  Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
Economics Teacher:  Thank you, Simone
Simone:  No problem whatsoever.

Economics Teacher:  In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. Today we have a similar debate over this. Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before? The Laffer Curve. Anyone know what this says? It says that at this point on the revenue curve, you will get exactly the same amount of revenue as at this point. This is very controversial. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in 1980? Anyone? Something-d-o-o economics. "Voodoo" economics.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top