Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I took a very stressful job a few years ago and to get through the day I used to drink a six pack of Coke with the occasional Dr. Pepper from the break machine tossed in. Literally, I'd take a six pack a day with me and by 5:00 it was gone. I had constant mood swings, I was dizzy, I could eat and still feel hungry and I wound up having two root canals within weeks of each other. And over a period of about two years at this job, I packed on 80lbs.

I talked it over with my doctor and he asked me to keep a "food journal" for a two week period. At the end of that two weeks, I was STUNNED by the nutritionally free calories and the sodium and the sugar I had injested.

After careful consideration, he placed me on a hybrid diet. I say hybrid because it was a mixture of Atkins and South Beach. I moderated my carbs, watched the glycemic index, and cut out caffeine entirely. In two weeks I lost 21 lbs. By six months, I had lost over 70lbs.

Once the caffeine was gone from my diet, I craved leafy greens instead of Hershey bars. I was full after a smaller portion by drinking a glass of water before each meal instead of having a coke. I drink around 100 ounces of water a day and OCCASIONALLY I will have a Diet Rite or a caffeine free Dr. Pepper. I accidentally picked up someone's regular Coke at a party and I had to spit it out. It tasted like liquid fire after so long not having it.

And yes, my uncle who is a state trooper, does use Coke to remove blood from the road. He even used it once on battery acid on my car and to break up some oil that had pooled in his driveway.

edited because I'm tired and made a TYOP
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
100% grape juice has more sugar and calories in it than Coke.

Some of you people will believe anything.

If you drink 2000 extra calories a day because you have no God damn self control, don't blame the inanimate soda.  

Some of you idiots sound just like the gun grabbers.  Grow the hell up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If you drink 2000 extra calories a day because you have no God damn self control, don't blame the inanimate soda.  

Natural sugar has no ill effect on you. It's the refined sugar that's the killer.

Also, too many calories is a separate issue. What we are talking about is how refined sugar is a poison to the human body.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Natural sugar has no ill effect on you. It's the refined sugar that's the killer.

Also, too many calories is a separate issue. What we are talking about is how refined sugar is a poison to the human body.

Bullshit.

Moderation is the key to anything.

I know plenty of people who drink 3 to 8 24 ounce bottles of soda a day.  That is a hell of a lot of dead calories.  If you drank the same amount of grape juice in a day, you would get just as fat and have just as good of a sugar buzz going.

If you drank that much alcohol in a day, you would be considered an alcoholic.

It's called self control.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

I know plenty of people who drink 3 to 8 24 ounce bottles of soda a day.  That is a hell of a lot of dead calories.  If you drank the same amount of grape juice in a day, you would get just as fat and have just as good of a sugar buzz going.

+ 100000

Refined sugar has been around for a LONG time.

If you eat a shitload of anything, it will become toxic to your system.

Hell, drinking enough water will kill you.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep debating...  I'm going for a COKE.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I drink a couple pops a week.  I drink a couple beers a week too.   I drink much more dihydrogen monoxide, also known as hydroxyl acid, though; it is the most abundant compound in acid rain.

What I really wanted to know, though, is why cops bother cleaning clean blood off the road?  There's lots of roadkill that leaves red smears, but it seems like they're gone after a couple days.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I drink a couple pops a week.  I drink a couple beers a week too.   I drink much more dihydrogen monoxide, also known as hydroxyl acid, though; it is the most abundant compound in acid rain.

What I really wanted to know, though, is why cops bother cleaning clean blood off the road?  There's lots of roadkill that leaves red smears, but it seems like they're gone after a couple days.  

Human blood is a health hazard.  Road kill blood is extra protein for your sandwich.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
On a more personal level I used to drink about as much Cola as the thread starter.  I'd go through at least 2 2-liter bottles in a week or so.  It was all I drank really.

I cut out Cola and most any flavored drink (looking at the carbs from sugar and junk even orange juice and similar have the same kinda carbs are Coke, now whether one type of sugar is better for you than the other I don't know).  Anyway, I cut out Cola and switched to drinking water only, occasionally a sugar free drink (diet drinks w/ whatever sugar substitute they use taste like complete ass to me unfortunately...).  I dropped a solid 10-15 pounds with no other diet change in like a month, no extra exercise or anything.  I still sat around on my ass all day just tried to drink better stuff.  That is a HUGE change for doing nothing else differently.  And I wasn't that overweight before, I was only right at 200 pounds.  

Just for what it's worth, don't know kinda shape you cola drinkers are in, but if you'd like to lose at a little cut out the Sugar from the cola, doing nothing else differently I'd be willing to bet good money you'll drop some measureable weight, end up feeling better, etc...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't believe how many morons misinformed people are posting in this thread. Coke is NOT as bad as some of the people here make it out to be. Coke has calories in it (yes it uses high fructose corn syrup, but what the hell ever). If your caloric intake is a lot more than what your body burns everyday you will get gain weight. If you continue to do it you will get fat. Moderation people. Did they not teach some of you people anything in health class in school? Coke does NOT rot your teeth anymore than anything else if you don't take care of your teeth. Coke does NOT desolve nails and other shit. Some of you guys make it out to be a chemical weapon. I don't know about how you people drink fluids anyway, but when I drink something COLD, especially through a straw, it doesn't touch my teeth. When cold stuff touches my teeth it freezes them up. I don't swish coke all around my mouth or any other fluid except water when I brush my teeth.

If you are a heavy coke drinker, stop drinking it if you wanna lose some weight.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I drink Coke a lot. It's fuel for the 12-hour Halo 2 marathons. My dad is a machinist and he used to keep coke around because of it's handy corrosive properties.

A lot of the arguements against coke do seem pretty poorly justified. If it was as bad as some people claim, then there'd be five pending lawsuits against Coca-Cola at any given moment.

8 cans a day here, if it's available. If not, I drink a lot of MILK.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

+ 100000

Refined sugar has been around for a LONG time.

If you eat a shitload of anything, it will become toxic to your system.

Hell, drinking enough water will kill you.

Duh!! If you eat 8 steaks a day it will fook you up to. Steak, fish, chicken, veggies, and fruit in normal qualities is what your body needs. Your body doesn't need ANY refined sugar. Even small amounts of refined sugar is bad for you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You ever seen what blood will do to paint on a vehicle?

Now imagine that in your body.

Good thing my body's not made of acrylic laquer.

Is drinking a Coke or two a day going to make a difference to an ordinary, healthy, adult human being? No.

Is drinking a case of Coke going to have a significant impact on the health of a malnourished, immobile diabetic who has a blatant disregard for his health and hygeine? Yep.

Moderation.

Drinking a coke or two a day will have an effect, no matter how healthy or unhealthy you are. Whether it is an effect that is noticeable or not is a different matter.

Drinking 2 cokes a day (instead of 2 waters) would be about (365.25*300) 110,000 extra calories a year. Some people may burn that many extra calories, but there are still a metric buttload of extra calories that go SOMEWHERE.

One gram of fat consumed = 9 calories. If that holds true in reverse (that every 9 calories can be turned into 1 gram of fat on your body), 110,000 calories would equal (110,000/9/30/16) 25.5 pounds of fat in a year you could have otherwise burnt off had those 2 cokes a day been substituted for water.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ask your doctor when you become diebetic.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#16]
So what I've learned is:

-I'm not going to go into a Diabetic coma and die

-My teeth aren't going to rot out of my face

-And considering the fact that I do PT an hour and a half every morning and hit the gym every evening, I'm not going to blow up like a friggin' balloon

I'll even start watering it down with Cpt. Morgan more often.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is drinking a Coke or two a day going to make a difference to an ordinary, healthy, adult human being? No.

Is drinking a case of Coke going to have a significant impact on the health of a malnourished, immobile diabetic who has a blatant disregard for his health and hygeine? Yep.

Moderation.

Drinking a coke or two a day will have an effect, no matter how healthy or unhealthy you are. Whether it is an effect that is noticeable or not is a different matter.

Drinking 2 cokes a day (instead of 2 waters) would be about (365.25*300) 110,000 extra calories a year. Some people may burn that many extra calories, but there are still a metric buttload of extra calories that go SOMEWHERE.

One gram of fat consumed = 9 calories. If that holds true in reverse (that every 9 calories can be turned into 1 gram of fat on your body), 110,000 calories would equal (110,000/9/30/16) 25.5 pounds of fat in a year you could have otherwise burnt off had those 2 cokes a day been substituted for water.

Drinking anything with calories in it will do the same thing.  OJ, Grape Juice, milk, soda.

The food police have arrived.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moderation.

Drinking anything with calories in it will do the same thing.  OJ, Grape Juice, milk, soda.

Way off subject but dangit I have to ask, is your avatar a cat in a trash can?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you're drinking a coke a day, you're addicted to caffeine and getting HUGE amounts of sugar that
your body doesn't want or need.

Keep it up and you'll be shoving needles into your body (insulin) JUST TO KEEP YOUR HEART BEATING.

Lay off the sugary, caffeinated drinks TOTALLY.   The first two weeks are the roughest, but when
they're done,  you're mostly off the caffeine addiction.   You WILL feel better, too.  And any excess
pounds you may be carrying will start to melt away almost as if by magic.   That's what happens when
you cut many hundreds or even thousands of calories out of your diet.

CJ

I have to disagree, I had drunk atleast 6 cokes a day and recently had my blood work done, Not a single problem was found. As the saying goes I was as healthy as an Ox.

Reason I had my blood work done, every one was trying to tell me I was diabetic from my sugar intake.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Let's put it this way, my father uses it to get the corrosion off of his fishing pole guides.

Imagine what it's doing to your stomach
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moderation.

You may need to actually read what I wrote.

I never claimed drinking OTHER things didn't have the same effect, only pointed out drinking caloric beverages (in this case coke) WILL have an effect no matter what state of health your body is in.

Previous poster said drinking 1-2 cokes a day will have no effect on healthy person. That is incorrect. 2 cokes a day instead of water WILL have an effect. That means they either DIDN'T lose as much weight as they would have, or they burnt exactly the same amt of calories they ingested, or they GAINED weight. The extra calories are there no matter what the result is. If said person ingesting burns more calories than they intake, they will still have ingested 110,000 more calories.

None of what I posted makes ANY claim other than to refute the "healthy person = no effect from drinking 2 cokes a day" statement.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Let's put it this way, my father uses it to get the corrosion off of his fishing pole guides.

The acid in my stomach can digest a soda can.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#25]
My Grandfather drank several Cokes a day from WWII until he recently passed away at 84.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you're drinking a coke a day, you're addicted to caffeine and getting HUGE amounts of sugar that

Keep it up and you'll be shoving needles into your body (insulin) JUST TO KEEP YOUR HEART BEATING.

Lay off the sugary, caffeinated drinks TOTALLY.   The first two weeks are the roughest, but when
they're done,  you're mostly off the caffeine addiction.   You WILL feel better, too.  And any excess
pounds you may be carrying will start to melt away almost as if by magic.   That's what happens when

CJ

More bullshit.

A cup of coffee has 7 TIMES (700 %) the caffeine in it then a 12 ounce can of mt dew or coke.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#27]
... I love ice-cold Coca-Cola®. But recently, I realized it was not the right thing to do (for me personally) to ingest it any longer. I've given up on soda and sweets except for an occasional weekend treat.

... On the plus side, I've lost 16 pounds recently and coincidently my penis stays stiffer for much longer as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moderation.

Way off subject but dangit I have to ask, is your avatar a cat in a trash can?

Cat on the back of a computer chair.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
... I love ice-cold Coca-Cola®. But recently, I realized it was not the right thing to do (for me personally) to ingest it any longer. I've given up on soda and sweets except for an occasional weekend treat.

... On the plus side, I've lost 16 pounds recently and coincidently my penis stays stiffer for much longer as well.

Way way WAYYYYY! to much information!!!!

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Diet soda is awesome. You can drink as much as you want and it's basically just water as far as your body is concerned. Coke Zero is especially awesome, it doesn't have that artifical sweetner taste to it. I  can't drink regular soda anymore, it's just way too syrupy and thick, unless it's from a fountain machine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Diet soda is awesome. You can drink as much as you want and it's basically just water as far as your body is concerned. Coke Zero is especially awesome, it doesn't have that artifical sweetner taste to it. I  can't drink regular soda anymore, it's just way too syrupy and thick, unless it's from a fountain machine.

Unless nutrasweet gives you headaches...

Here's an original idea people.

DRINK WATER!!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I can't believe how many morons misinformed people are posting in this thread. Coke is NOT as bad as some of the people here make it out to be. Coke has calories in it (yes it uses high fructose corn syrup, but what the hell ever). If your caloric intake is a lot more than what your body burns everyday you will get gain weight. If you continue to do it you will get fat. Moderation people. Did they not teach some of you people anything in health class in school? Coke does NOT rot your teeth anymore than anything else if you don't take care of your teeth. Coke does NOT desolve nails and other shit. Some of you guys make it out to be a chemical weapon. I don't know about how you people drink fluids anyway, but when I drink something COLD, especially through a straw, it doesn't touch my teeth. When cold stuff touches my teeth it freezes them up. I don't swish coke all around my mouth or any other fluid except water when I brush my teeth.

If you are a heavy coke drinker, stop drinking it if you wanna lose some weight.

The whole 'a calorie is a calorie' thing is really simplistic. It doesn't take into account the role of insulin and the endocrine system  in fat production and storage, for instance. If a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, than a person subsisting purely on pop tarts and mountain dew will be as healthy as someone ingesting the same calories in lean protien and leafy greens.

I guess there's a chance that your health class in school was more informative than my endocrine lectures at the UW, but if you want to believe that high glycemic intake doesn't affect your endocrine system, knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I drink a ton of diet soda.
I always thought of it as flavored water.
But it's not flavored *spring* water though.
I heard that a can or bottle of soda has no electrolytes in it (or whatever makes water good for you).
It actually even dehydrates you!
This was proven to me once when I was in the hospital for something unrelated and I was told that I was severley dehydrated.
I was like WTF are you talking about?
I think I just finished my second 2 litre of the day just before I got here.
I used to semi-freeze it and then drink it right from the bottle so I had an icey type of drink.
The doctor shook his head and told me as far as my body was concerned if I had only drank soda for the past few days it was like I hadn't drank anything at all.
So I make sure I always fill up a glass of mug with a lot of ice with my diet soda (or tonic in my neck of the woods).

Of course i'm not too happy with the mild soda stain on my teeth.And I too wonder how all that acid washing over my teeth is influencing my increase in cavities lately.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

I have to disagree, I had drunk atleast 6 cokes a day and recently had my blood work done, Not a single problem was found. As the saying goes I was as healthy as an Ox.

Reason I had my blood work done, every one was trying to tell me I was diabetic from my sugar intake.

My grandfather smoked two packs a day from his teens 'til he died when a tractor rolled over on him at age 78. Didn't have any significant medical problems until he acquired squish syndrome at that time. I guess by your reasoning, the concerns regarding the health effects of smoking are unfounded too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
My Grandfather drank several Cokes a day from WWII until he recently passed away at 84.

Yes but clearly he was one of the great men that fought WW2. The people around today couldn't do such things.

I do say that in all seriousness about your grandfather being a great man if he did fight in WW2.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Every 5th Fucking Poster:

What the hell is wrong with you people???  Did you ALL fail science in the 3rd grade?  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
<snip>
My grandfather smoked two packs a day from his teens 'til he died when a tractor rolled over on him at age 78.

If two packs of cigarettes will cause you to get run over by a tractor, imagine what it will do to your stomach.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What the hell is wrong with you people??? Did you ALL fail science in the 3rd grade?[/size=5]  

No, but some of us did retain a sense of humor, hence the ol'
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>
My grandfather smoked two packs a day from his teens 'til he died when a tractor rolled over on him at age 78.

If two packs of cigarettes will cause you to get run over by a tractor, imagine what it will do to your stomach.  

If getting rolled over on by a tractor causes diabetes....
Wait, now I'm all confused.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The whole 'a calorie is a calorie' thing is really simplistic. It doesn't take into account the role of insulin and the endocrine system  in fat production and storage, for instance. If a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, than a person subsisting purely on pop tarts and mountain dew will be as healthy as someone ingesting the same calories in lean protien and leafy greens.

I guess there's a chance that your health class in school was more informative than my endocrine lectures at the UW, but if you want to believe that high glycemic intake doesn't affect your endocrine system, knock yourself out.

Moderation in everything.  I guess they don't teach that at UW, mr endocrine.

You eat 4000 calories in veggies a day, you are gonna get FAT.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

My grandfather smoked two packs a day from his teens 'til he died when a tractor rolled over on him at age 78. Didn't have any significant medical problems until he acquired squish syndrome at that time. I guess by your reasoning, the concerns regarding the health effects of smoking are unfounded too.

I would say in the case of your grandfather the health effects of cigarettes where unfounded. He was healthy enough to work until he was 78 I would say he was rather healthy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell is wrong with you people??? Did you ALL fail science in the 3rd grade?  

You, sir, get the special exemption.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I mean the "cola", not the "aine". I was just reading another thread and everyone was cracking on it. Aside from rotting your teeth what's so bad about it? I'm just curious cuz I drink at least a 6 pack a day of the shit and my guts aren't rotting out...at least, I hope not. It's just so friggin' good!

6 pack a  day? how much do you weigh?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell is wrong with you people??? Did you ALL fail science in the 3rd grade?  

You, sir, get the special exemption.  

Thank, Thank you very much
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think ya kinda missed the point, but whatever works for you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think ya kinda missed the point, but whatever works for you.

So you are saying that if someone eats 4000 calories in veggies they won't get fat?  That somehow veggie calories won't make someone fat?  Right.

Or how about if someone eats only carrots all day long.  They should be really healthy, right?  Wrong.  Ask Steve Jobs about that one...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but clearly he was one of the great men that fought WW2. The people around today couldn't do such things.

I do say that in all seriousness about your grandfather being a great man if he did fight in WW2.

15th AAF Top Turret B-24. Cokaholic.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Ah,Mother's milk!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So you are saying that if someone eats 4000 calories in veggies they won't get fat?  That somehow veggie calories won't make someone fat?  Right.

Or how about if someone eats only carrots all day long.  They should be really healthy, right?  Wrong.  Ask Steve Jobs about that one...

I've known people who try to eat 4000 calories in veggies every day.

They are on the toilet more than they are working.

Edit:  I was mistaken.  They ate a lot of fruit.

I dated a girl who's mother thought she would be healthier if she ate nothing but carrots.

Turned herself a funny shade of orange, and made herself sick.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#50]
It's actually NOT "sugar" (sucrose) in sodas, but rather high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).  Very bad stuff for your body's metabolism, triglyerides and cholsterol, and a host of other negative effects.  Long term effects from many of the artificial sweeteners are not real appealing either.  Nutshell - don't drink sodas regularly.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top