Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 10:36:23 PM EDT
I have seen lots of "gift idea" threads but nothing where anyone actually states everything they did.

So for some reason I will, this is what I have bought so far, still need to do a little more for the immediate family

Father - leather bound bible with gold leaf engraved name and inscription from me

Mother - tickets to the symphony sitting in prime dress circle and Amadeus the movie on DVD

Younger sister - two antique maps (well they look old), one of the world and one of south america, she loves latin stuff including men for some odd reason.  A book of Calvin and hobbes comics.

Older sister - hardest to shop for, one of those "tell me what you want and I will get that" people.  I bought her some smelly stuff from Victorias Secret that she wanted, perfume or something, I just handed the lady at VS a piece of paper with the name and said give me this.

My best friend - a silver flask engraved with "This is better then a gift card, from B" its kind of a joke because he gets everyone he knows gift cards.  And I tell him that gift cards scream "I dont care enough about you to think of something to buy" or "I dont know you well enough so heres a gift card."   He will get a kick out of the gift, thats all that matters.

I dont buy gifts for co workers or aquantances.  I was always taught not to as it creates a sense that the person must buy you a gift then and that should never happen.  And you should expecially never by a gift for any subordinates.  Again that makes people feel like they must buy you a gift then.

And thats it so far.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Havent started shopping.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Brother - Xbox360, Call of Duty 2, Project Gotham Racing 3

Sister - S&W Airweight .38 Special (she just finished her class for her CCW)

Grandmother - Band of Brothers

Aunt and Uncle - South Park seasons 1-6 on DVD
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Dad-some computer game
Mom-antique ornaments
Sister- chinese lanterns
Brother-Antique style globe
GF- a bunch of French looking stuff i got at cost plus, cuz she's into that
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Jack 5h17.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a grill and a smoker so far. I don't know what else I'm getting, but I'm probably going to get myself a progressive reloader and several more guns if I can swing it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Wife- The Garth Brook Collection

Kids- To much to fit here

Me- A case of Radway Green M855
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The only person I've bought anything for yet is my younger sister, got her Battlestar Galactica Season 1, and the miniseries Taken (she's as big of a scifi junkie as I am).

I'll get my mom a pressure cooker and/or some books, and my father...whjo the hell knows...maybe a gun that he won't really like (but I will!  Only kidding, probably try and find him a tool or three that he doesnt yet have, but needs).
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Brother - Xbox360, Call of Duty 2, Project Gotham Racing 3

Sister - S&W Airweight .38 Special (she just finished her class for her CCW)

Grandmother - Band of Brothers

Aunt and Uncle - South Park seasons 1-6 on DVD

You mus have an interesting family
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#10]
nuthin  wife does all the shopping

I guess I will have to go get hers monday  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Havent started shopping.

+1

I did get one of my presents early.  Black Motorola Razr
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Bought family and friends a 57 X 60 X 1/2 inch fleece blanket.
Found them at Home Depot for $10 each.
Went to the family Christmas party yesterday and passed out 18 of them.
Sent another 12 out via US mail.

Bought the wife a new washer/dryer set.
I got a SEBR AR15.

Sent the two college students nieces $500 each plus a Webster's Third New International Dictionary and a years subscription to Websters on-line.

Bought some shotgun ammo, clothing gift certificates and 3 months worth of Netflix accounts to the various nieces and nephews.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Christmas shouldn't be about trying to have a big payday in gifts.  Yes,  I put lights up on the house and we decorate inside the house and put up a tree.  But gifts at home are normally not expensive  and we buy things we want (or think the other person wants) throughout the year.  

Call me Scrooge, but I don't believe in giving clothes or household/kitchen appliances as gifts.

So far, as gifts, I have bought a set of sights for the ARFCOM TM exchange, a couple boxes of candy, a 20Q game, Christmas decorations, a few of toys for nieces and nephews, and a ring: 19.6 carat tanzanite surrounded by 3.2 carats of diamonds set in platinum.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife kicked ass this year. She got me a vintage Boston Bruins Bobby Orr jersey and a few others things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top