Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 6:45:35 PM EDT
In every hobby, there have to be new guys.
Otherwise the hobby will wither, and die.

Arfcom, esp. GD is not particularly gentle with newcomers, esp. young folks, which I feel is a mistake on their part.
Young people are the future, and they need to be encouraged, not told to STFU because they don't own 30 ARs and or any guns yet - mostly because they just turned 18.

Of course, young people need to not post so much, and read more, until they have learned enough. Howevr, just because someone has a low post count, does not reflect on their knowledge, or their character.

flame away
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, you can catch more flies with dead rotten fish guts.
If you're a new guy who doesn't know about ARs, join the Army like I did. You'll learn more in the infantry than you could ever learn from a forum.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#2]
......than with vinegar. Not sugar.

Get your proverbs straight.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you're a new guy who doesn't know about ARs, join the Army like I did. You'll learn more in the infantry than you could ever learn from a forum.

...and cow poop.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Won't flame, just counte with fact.

As you can see by my post count, I am still relatively new to the forum.  

When I first started getting into the AR's (once I could finally own a "real one" having moved from the PROC) I asked many questions, many of which had been asked before, and most of which will be asked again.  The overwhelming majority of responses were supportive and informative.

I now own two AR's, one bought from the local shop, and oen purchased in parts off the EE.  

I consider the folks who helped me figure out what to get and why the Godfathers and Godmothers of those beautiful black rifles.  Without this site or those providing advice, I likely would not own them.

So, I for one, take exception to your thesis, and say many thanks to Arfcom.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
......than with vinegar. Not sugar.

Get your proverbs straight.

oh fuck me.
changed
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Won't flame, just counte with fact.

As you can see by my post count, I am still relatively new to the forum.  

When I first started getting into the AR's (once I could finally own a "real one" having moved from the PROC) I asked many questions, many of which had been asked before, and most of which will be asked again.  The overwhelming majority of responses were supportive and informative.

I now own two AR's, one bought from the local shop, and oen purchased in parts off the EE.  

I consider the folks who helped me figure out what to get and why the Godfathers and Godmothers of those beautiful black rifles.  Without this site or those providing advice, I likely would not own them.

So, I for one, take exception to your thesis, and say many thanks to Arfcom.

I too, had a painless first experience on AR15.com
I never found any animosity towards me for being a young guy.
But sometimes, guys do get jumped on - thats all im saying.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to find out about guns, don't go to GD for gosh sakes!

There are lots of informative areas of this site, but sadly, GD isn't up there towards the top.
If you come to GD you should recognize that it is a topical discussion that is a free-for-all.  "Young people" up on the intraweb should know this better than anyone.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#8]
You do make a VERY good point.

I saw it in my bicycle club in high school - everyone loved to rag on the newbies for their junk equipment, which we all had when we started, and liked to leave them behind.

I always went out of my way to hang back and help them stay up with the group.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you want to find out about guns, don't go to GD for gosh sakes!

Best advice
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you not get the invitation?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Nobody's gotten on my case for just having turned 18 (17 when I registered) and never owning a gun in my life yet, but I haven't actually told anyone that yet.

GD might be bad for learning about guns, but it's halarious to read often enough that it's well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If he can't hold his own in a polite debate in GD, and has to call me out in the pit...it's more a matter of him not liking me, rather than a simple disagreeing with my position on one issue.

The reason for this thread was that I see some of what F4 pointed out.
I have never had that experience, as I came to this board with a decent knowledge of firearms already.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually you can catch lots of flies with vingear.  Especially fruit flies.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yeah, because the AR15 is such a complicated fucking platform you have to go to the Army to figure out how to use it.

I think your nic is more spot on then you know.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#15]
You can catch a lot with a dead cow and a flamethrower.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, because the AR15 is such a complicated fucking platform you have to go to the Army to figure out how to use it.

I'd say your assessment is correct.
I'd also say docs308 is talking about you!

Couldn't help it.

Anyhow, I agree that we should cut them some slack but I'd also say some of them come here as first class trolling assbags. I could name a few. Be better if they were just shown the door and the tip of my boot.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Did you take genetics also?

I spent an entire semester with fruit flies.
Smarter than some of the trolls here BTW. And better company.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Couldn't help it.

Anyhow, I agree that we should cut them some slack but I'd also say some of them come here as first class trolling assbags. I could name a few. Be better if they were just shown the door and the tip of my boot.

Shown the door and the tip of your boot? In that order?

And he may be talking about me, but I have little patience for idiocy. Theres a difference between idiocy and ignorance. Most new guys here display ignorance (No fault of thier own) and I can understand that.
But to tell me your going to learn more about an AR in the military then in these forums is flat out idiocy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Couldn't help it.

Shown the door and the tip of your boot? In that order?

And he may be talking about me, but I have little patience for idiocy.

Same here.

Theres a difference between idiocy and ignorance. Most new guys here display ignorance (No fault of thier own) and I can understand that.
But to tell me your going to learn more about an AR in the military then in these forums is flat out idiocy.

Well, he is "armed and retarded" afterall. Soon to be poster boy for gun confiscation.
I learned how to clean it and shoot it, pretty much it, but that is enough for most. Nice to be able to trouble shoot and you won't learn much of that in the service. Never had a problem with any of my M16s in the Corps. All ran like a mother.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#20]
And I havent been in the service, and I built my precision upper myself. Ordered all the peices, put it together. Troubleshot and fixed all the problems. Will be reloading my own ammo soon for it. My only point of reference was Arfcom.

Guess that pretty much proves the point.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you take genetics also?

I spent an entire semester with fruit flies.
Smarter than some of the trolls here BTW. And better company.

Yes I did.  And some got out during Christmas break. There were millions in the lab. Because my buddy left a bowl of something out.  We ran around with right guard and a lighter.  Nothing like the smell of burnt deodorant and wingless flies.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#22]
New guy shows up and asks a question.  He will get a response or a link to the answer.

New guy who knows jack shit about fuck all shows up and immediately shows his ignorance and arrogance should be called to task for it.

The most favorable thing that happened to me was when I realized I don't know half as much about anything as the guy next to me.

EDIT: Below, Lumpy says it best.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Walk into my house, put your shoes on my coffee table and then bitch about the paintings on the wall and tell my I have shitty taste in beer, I'll probably tell you to fuck off.

Maybe some people could learn some manners and they'd get treated nicer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
New guy shows up and asks a question.  He will get a response or a link to the answer.

New guy who knows jack shit about fuck all shows up and immediately shows his ignorance and arrogance should be called to task for it.

The most favorable thing that happened to me was when I realized I don't know half as much about anything as the guy next to me.

Exactly.
But some folks just ask a question that others think have been done to death...like oh say "I'm buying my first handgun, glock or 1911?"

Who knows.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Walk into my house, put your shoes on my coffee table and then bitch about the paintings on the wall and tell my I have shitty taste in beer, I'll probably tell you to fuck off.

Maybe some people could learn some manners and they'd get treated nicer.

Well, considering the coffee table is a old cable spool, the paintings are of gay pride rallies and your drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon.....What do you expect?

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Cow poop.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Why in the fuck would I want to catch flies?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#28]
The problem lies in the fact that a lot of these NOOBs are actually troll accounts or re-accounts of the banned.  Thats the problem.  They come to stir the pot.  So unless you have a proven name, a low post count noob is good as dirt.

The best way to avoid this is to get a team membership.  Most people wont waste $24 for a troll account.  

Some would.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The problem lies in the fact that a lot of these NOOBs are actually troll accounts or re-accounts of the banned.  Thats the problem.  They come to stir the pot.  So unless you have a proven name, a low post count noob is good as dirt.

The best way to avoid this is to get a team membership.  Most people wont waste $24 for a troll account.  

Some would.

I think you hit the nail on the head right there.
We do have a lot of "ressurrections" on this board, and so people are suspicious of new posters.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he can't hold his own in a polite debate in GD, and has to call me out in the pit...it's more a matter of him not liking me, rather than a simple disagreeing with my position on one issue.
The reason for this thread was that I see some of what F4 pointed out.
I have never had that experience, as I came to this board with a decent knowledge of firearms already.

I can find your post where you have attacked others and think you got away Scott Free, but in the same token you come here crying that you are being flamed?

Cry me a river and get over it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Many times I see people getting shit on (myself included) when they first start out here. I don't post in tech forums (yes, I lurk) because although I learned about a few toys when I was in the military, what I know wouldn't hold a candle to what many members here know. If I have a questions, I ask in IM to those members I know will respect my questions and not make me feel stupid about having them. From a Marketing/PR perspective, I see Doc's point. Right now there's a thread pit that exemplifies what he's talking about: scaring away instead of teaching a noob.

See, I was raised around guns. I've 'played' while in and out of the Army with guns. I've never feared them despite having lost family members to gun violence. I was given a rough welcoming...and from where I sit, this site is missing a HUGE opportunity to, er, "recruit" if you will. Noobs and the curious WILL start in GD. Just to get a finger on the pulse. Well, that pulse often beats up the very walks of society that gun proponents NEED: females and youths. Like it or not, the youth are the future and females are excellent secret weapons in the fight to keep the 2nd from being swallowed up by "well-meaning" gun control lobbyists.

I dunno. I LIKE that there are different people on this site and that we can carry on heated political and personal discussions, but picking on someone because of their newness, especially when that someone is NOT going into GD shouting, "Who can take a full power shot from ME!!!???" is self defeating.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top