User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 3:40:07 PM EDT
Officer's pistol stolen from car
Officials ask for public's help
Published: Saturday, December 17, 2005 -- The Truth, A2
Last updated: 12/16/2005 11:51:12 PM
By Justin Leighty
Truth Staff
ELKHART -- The sheriff's department is asking for the public's help in finding a handgun that was stolen out of a police car overnight Thursday.

The thief broke a window on the squad car, parked in the 57800 block of Frances Avenue, and flattened a tire on the police car and on another car in the driveway, Elkhart County deputies said.

The stolen weapon is a Remington Rand .45 caliber pistol. It's a model 1911 A1 U.S. Government semi-automatic handgun with serial number 873579 and has stamped on the side "Property of U.S. Government" or "Property of U.S. Army," sheriff's department spokesman Trevor Wendzonka said.

The weapon is a federal government surplus gun acquired by the department for law-enforcement use, said Undersheriff Julie Dijkstra.

Anyone with information on the theft is asked to call Detective Jim Smith at 535-6544

A few weeks ago some stole a taser and and Bushy out of a city cop's P/V
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#1]
And how many posters here claim they leave guns in their cars? This is why I don't leave one in mine. I wonder how many surplus 1911s that agency acquired and when.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The stolen weapon is a Remington Rand .45 caliber pistol. It's a model 1911 A1 U.S. Government semi-automatic handgun with serial number 873579 and has stamped on the side "Property of U.S. Government" or "Property of U.S. Army," sheriff's department spokesman Trevor Wendzonka said.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Never leave guns unsecured in your car

2.  "take home" police cars should be restricted to officers who live in the comunity they police and have a garage.  leave a police car unattended on the street and this is exactly what i expect will happen.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
No fuckin' street punk should be allowed to carry one of JMB's designs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
He should have taken the weapon inside his home.

Had this discussion on another board about a AR15, Glock, badge and body armor stolen from a DEA agewnts vehicle parked in his driveway.

The guy should be fired, thats how I see it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
That is sad.

A fellow at the local range went out shooting on a Fri nite, and he left his guns in his car, that night his car was stolen along with his guns.  All firearms should never be left in a vehicle whenever possible.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
This just isn't supposed to happen... we have laws making it illegal for criminals to steal guns.  

Maybe we need to pass some more laws?  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, my car is parked in plain view, in my driveway, per my standing orders.

My shotgun is removed after my duty cycle. Other than that, I leave it in the locked rack. Same with my M-4.

I tried to park my sled in the garage but the bossman said negative; "visibility, dammit!" That being said, it doesnt really bother me.

Oh well.

I have to disagree about restricting take-home cars to resident officers, though. I like the idea of being able to take my car to the house even though I live 15-20 mile from the P.D. It's just a good fleet management policy, I think. Good for morale, too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
And how many posters here claim they leave guns in their cars? This is why I don't leave one in mine. I wonder how many surplus 1911s that agency acquired and when.

It depends on how many officers are on the Dept. and how many they request of course. AFIK, they are still giving them out. Same program that gives out M16's and M14's.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#10]
A police car in a driveway is supposed to scare away would be criminals not give them something to steal.

How much longer does it take to bring your weapons inside after your shift?

I see this as pure laziness.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:18:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not I. It gives me with willies just thinking about leaving a gun unattended in a car. Maybe if I had a safe designed for such a pupose securely mounted. Maybe.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It depends on how many officers are on the Dept. and how many they request of course. AFIK, they are still giving them out. Same program that gives out M16's and M14's.

I wasn't aware that 1911's were part of that program. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Had this discussion on another board about a AR15, Glock, badge and body armor stolen from a DEA agewnts vehicle parked in his driveway.

I agree you should not leave valuables unsecured in your vehicle but firing him is blaming the victim for the crime and is wrong.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#14]

It's a model 1911 A1 U.S. Government semi-automatic handgun with serial number 873579 and has stamped on the side "Property of U.S. Government" or "Property of U.S. Army," sheriff's department spokesman Trevor Wendzonka said.

That serial number should make it a Colt mad in 1943.  Remington Rand didn't start until 916,405.  Unless it has a Remington Rand slide and that's where they got the name from.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#15]
My department has a ridiculous policy of requiring SWAT officers to keep their M4's with them 24/7.  So there are a bunch of authentic select fire Colt M4's cable locked to the seat brakets of Mini vans and SUV's all the time.

Someday someone is going to come out of a movie threature, restaurant, or Gym and find their M4 missing and that policy will change.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree you should not leave valuables unsecured in your vehicle but firing him is blaming the victim for the crime and is wrong.

+1

Roy
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Was it his duty weapon?  Interesting that its a dept issue.  I wonder if its dept approved/provided but they normally use some more modern hicap gun?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Was it his duty weapon?  Interesting that its a dept issue.  I wonder if its dept approved/provided but they normally use some more modern hicap gun?

I know alot of cops that still use the 1911. More accurate and easier to shoot than just about any other pistol.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm... I think its called negligence. If a bank manager forgets to lock the vault and leaves for the night and some robbers come in and steal everything, I think the manager has some answering to do. Yes, it was the robbers' fault for actually stealing the money, but the manager made the whole thing possible or more likely to occure. Yes, the robbers might have still cracked the vault and still stole everything, but he only made it much easier for them.

The officer is responsible for leaving the gun in the car, and not taking it inside with him for the night.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

2.  "take home" police cars should be restricted to officers who live in the comunity they police and have a garage.  leave a police car unattended on the street and this is exactly what i expect will happen.

If his gun wasn't in the car, it wouldnt' have been stolen.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Why? He is upholding the DEA's honored traditions of wisdom, foresight, and diligence.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess this thug thinks he's professional enough for the "COTE FOHTY FIE"
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Not an option for many of us unless we don't carry a gun at all.  For example, according to SC law I can't take a gun out of my glove compartment on public property or on someone else's property without permission.  If I have a gun in my glove compartment, and I park on the street near my office or in the business next door because our parking lot is full, the only legal option I have is to leave the pistol in the car.  When I spend the night with my wife in her nursing home, I can't legally take the pistol out of the glove compartment to carry it inside, so again, I have to leave it in the car.

have a garage

Some departments don't allow parking of police cars in garages.  I know the city cops here and the SCHP are encouraged to leave their cars outside so they have a visible presence.z
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? He is upholding the DEA's honored traditions of wisdom, foresight, and diligence.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top