Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 2:59:06 PM EDT
Another thread got me to wondering:

BATF's rules on homemade guns stipulate that you cannot make them for "transfer" without a license.

Would it be considered a violation of the law to make a bunch of $10 "zip guns" in the basement to turn in to a gun-buyback program which is going to destroy them?  (This presumes that homemade guns are legal in your state/county/locality.)

Hey, a chunk of 10/22 barrel, a rubber band, a screw-cap, a bit of drill rod, and some plywood, and you've got a working firearm.  Might take a little while, but big deal.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is they would turn you down.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
interesting idea
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Another thread got me to wondering:

BATF's rules on homemade guns stipulate that you cannot make them for "transfer" without a license.

Would it be considered a violation of the law to make a bunch of $10 "zip guns" in the basement to turn in to a gun-buyback program which is going to destroy them?  (This presumes that homemade guns are legal in your state/county/locality.)

Hey, a chunk of 10/22 barrel, a rubber band, a screw-cap, a bit of drill rod, and some plywood, and you've got a working firearm.  Might take a little while, but big deal.

Who says it has to be working?  How bout a door latch and a car antenna duct-taped to a board?

Doesn't matter, I think of lots of better ways to make money where I could still sleep at night, rather than giving guns to the anti's.  Things like killing small animals, committing genocide, taking away old ladies' walkers, beating small children, etc.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I do remember dunhamns fliers in the news paper with those sinlgeshot and old surplus guns in them.  they were on sale for less that $100.  There you go.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#5]
What's wrong with killing small animals?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think they would be so eager to get their numbers up that they would be more than glad to accept them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It would be interesting to turn in a gun, home made or otherwise, and when they give you money for it, ask the nice  police officer or city official to show you their FFL. I mean, isn't it a federal offense to buy a quantity of guns like that and not have a license to do so?

Next Buy-back program you encounter, ask to see an FFL and if they don't have one, take your $10 gun and leave. Tell them you don't want to commit a felony.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the whole idea is stupid-it's just another move to keep guns out of law-abiding citizens hands.  If you were a criminal it would be different.  But if you play by the rules, why get penalized?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Doesn't matter, I think of lots of better ways to make money where I could still sleep at night, rather than giving guns to the anti's.  Things like killing small animals, committing genocide, taking away old ladies' walkers, beating small children, etc.

I can't.  In an eight-hour day I figure I could machine ten of them pretty easily.  At $100 each (that CC gift-card promotion), that's a net profit of about $900.

That's also $1000 out of the coffers of the anti's, and ten other guns that they won't be able to afford to cheat old ladies out of.

The money had to come from somewhere, and it is going to go to somewhere.  Draining the resources of the antis is a good thing to do.  If you really want to, you can buy a plasma TV and donate the savings to the NRA or some such crap.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't.  In an eight-hour day I figure I could machine ten of them pretty easily.  At $100 each (that CC gift-card promotion), that's a net profit of about $900.

That's also $1000 out of the coffers of the anti's, and ten other guns that they won't be able to afford to cheat old ladies out of.

The money had to come from somewhere, and it is going to go to somewhere.  Draining the resources of the antis is a good thing to do.  If you really want to, you can buy a plasma TV and donate the savings to the NRA or some such crap.

I was referring more to people doing dumb shit like buying cheap real guns and selling them off to be destroyed.  As for homemade, half-assed zip guns, I can see where that could drain the resources of the brownshirts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

and follow you home and execute a search warrant on your house
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It would be interesting to turn in a gun, home made or otherwise, and when they give you money for it, ask the nice  police officer or city official to show you their FFL. I mean, isn't it a federal offense to buy a quantity of guns like that and not have a license to do so?

Next Buy-back program you encounter, ask to see an FFL and if they don't have one, take your $10 gun and leave. Tell them you don't want to commit a felony.

yep, what about waiting periods. Maybe one of those workers is planning to shoot his wife and needs a clean gun. We have to end these programs, for the children.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
They sometimes may give more for "assault rifles". So if you have the means bend up a bunch of AK flats for $10 each and then bring them in. By definition of the law the reciever is the firearm so they cant say it isnt a firearm. Then use the money to buy a new gun or ammo for yourself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I recall, many of those gun "buy-backs" pay for guns with tax dollars.  Oh well, better you take the money and put it towards a new gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think the whole idea is stupid-it's just another move to keep guns out of law-abiding citizens hands.  If you were a criminal it would be different.  But if you play by the rules, why get penalized?

Very prescient of you.
Conditioning people to give up their guns is a large part of the disarmament strategy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top