Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 2:29:04 PM EDT
My little brother wants two 12" subs in a bandpass box for Christmas. I haven't looked at subs etc. for years.  I know I wouldn't go wrong with Kicker, MTX, Alpine, etc. but these are pretty expensive and I'm unfortunately not currently rolling in money.

I found two "Dual" brand subs in a bandpass box for a very good price, but I don't want to get my brother total crap. Does anyone know if these at least sound decent? He won't be using them for any competitions. He just likes the extra bass.

I already know they probably aren't on par with the big boys (MTX and the others), but are they worth getting just to add some bass??
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Cars and Bikes Forum's mod owns a custom stereo shop. He may be the one to ask.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd recommend buying thesubs and building your own box for them if at all possible. You could do 2 Shivas for a pretty good price, then just build a nice ported box for them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help. I'm headed to a Christmas Party. Will check for anymore suggestions when I get in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Bandpass is not good for anything beyond SPL comps.  They don't sound good with music.

Plus they take up alot more room than even a good ported box.  So if he is set on bandpass and 2 12's then just buy any crap and he will probably be happy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If you do decide to go with a Adire subwoofer, those guys are really helpful. Just use their forums for any questions and they'll get you set up right in terms of box size and whatnot.
Personally, I use a Brahma which isprobably a bit outof your price range but I love that damned sub.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
And just make sure to remember to turn them way down when you enter a residential neighborhood so I don't have to break out the pellet gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Stay away from bandpasss boxes!! They produce alot of bass, but I have yet to hear one produce clean, accurate bass. IMO bandpass is good for making noise and pissing people off more than anything. I have tried literally every type of set-up, and I prefer a good sealed box to anything else. You don't have to spend a fortune, but you don't want to skimp either. It will cost more in the long run if he keeps blowing "cheap" subs. I currently have one Infinity Kappa Perfect 12" in a sealed box, powered with 400 watts rms from an "old school" Rockford Fosgate Punch 200 running bridged mono. I designed my system for sound quality, but I will put it up against "boomer" system any day. If you don't have a local shop to work with, check out www.crutchfied.com. They have some quality equipment, and run alot of specials. I prefer to work with a good custom install shop, as their people are usually much more knowledgeable than chain stores.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]

mow much are you looking to spend on subs?  you could get some pioneer subs fairly cheap.  IMPP's should run you ~$40 a piece and sound a hell of a lot better then dual.  i'm a little partial to jbl as well.  the gt series of subs are fairly cheap.

but what i'd do is get him one good sub.  a quality 10" sub will sound better then 2 cheap 12"s any day.  my ancient fosgate punch z that had a crack in the face that was jb welded together put out more bass then a friends two dual 12"s with a 600 watt amp.  

one kicker cvr  or jl w6 with a good 400 watt amp will do just fine and it'll take up less trunk space.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I dont have any idea of these other who guys posts I will say they are on the right track, But I feel a little more credible (I once was a USAC World Finalist in Sound Quality and SPL) but bandpass and ported boxes have some distinct applications such as SPL, PortWars, etc.  They have a Street Bass sound, but as far as listening they are nasty. The drawback is they produce a certain range well and the other ends of the spectrum leave me less than impressed. A good sealed box would certainly be my route of choice and will definately save space.

Those u mentioned are all great, If you dont want to drop a load and hes not competing get him a pair of Kicker COMP VR, or check walmart, they are clearing out the SOny Xplod12s. They are nice my little cousing has a pair and the sony walmart amp.

Ive always ran Kicker amps and subs, and to good results. SO that is always who i am partial to.

I say  Just get him anything put it in sealed boxes and dont let him turn the amp all the way up or the volume knob. Nothing made sounds good with the amp turned up all the way or with the volume knob cranked past 3/4 full volume its just crap at that point no matter who made it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I dont have any idea of these other who guys posts I will say they are on the right track, But I feel a little more credible (I once was a USAC World Finalist in Sound Quality and SPL) but bandpass and ported boxes have some distinct applications such as SPL, PortWars, etc.  They have a Street Bass sound, but as far as listening they are nasty. The drawback is they produce a certain range well and the other ends of the spectrum leave me less than impressed. A good sealed box would certainly be my route of choice and will definately save space.

Those u mentioned are all great, If you dont want to drop a load and hes not competing get him a pair of Kicker COMP VR, or check walmart, they are clearing out the SOny Xplod12s. They are nice my little cousing has a pair and the sony walmart amp.

Ive always ran Kicker amps and subs, and to good results. SO that is always who i am partial to.

I say  Just get him anything put it in sealed boxes and dont let him turn the amp all the way up or the volume knob. Nothing made sounds good with the amp turned up all the way or with the volume knob cranked past 3/4 full volume its just crap at that point no matter who made it.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with a ported box if you make it correctly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#12]
If he lives in Florida just buy him a tweeter.

Please.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Get whichever one comes with the free hearing aids. He will thank you now, and again in a few years.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#14]
While making the speaker work with a box is purely mathematical, the Dual brand lacks a certain panache, surely causing your Bro to be made fun of by his friends with name-brand equipment.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I think I have the subs you are talking about in my truck.  I got the 2 Dual 12" subs and a 460 watta amp for like $170 at Best Buy a while back.  But, I did not use the box they came in; I took them out and put them in a custom box that goes under the rear seat.

Overall, they aren't bad but it depends what you are seeking.  If you want something that just adds some bass and enhances the sound without making you deaf or breaking any glass, they are great.  If you want earth-shattering bass, then look elsewhere.

Remember though, I didn't use the box they came in and know nothing of subs, so just keep that in mind.  But they don't sound too bad.

Kevin
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#16]
2 JL 12w0 (8ohm in parallel for a 4ohm load)in a sealed box and a JL 250-1 amp, will be more than sufficient for any kind of music..   Like everyone else says.. bandpass is only going for being loud and pissing people off,  and have no accuracy what so ever.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
While making the speaker work with a box is purely mathematical, the Dual brand lacks a certain panache, surely causing your Bro to be made fun of by his friends with name-brand equipment.

He's in college now and past the stage where he and his friends show off their speakers. Now it's just for the sound. Although admittedly in high school anything less than Kicker would have gotten him  laughed out of town.

Update:
I took everyone's advice about the box type and went with sealed. Well, I ended up getting another kinda "off-brand" in a sealed box for him today. Went to the store and listened to two Visonik 12's in a sealed box. Sounded better to me than the Duals. I already told him this was what he's getting, and he says that's cool.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's in college now and past the stage where he and his friends show off their speakers. Now it's just for the sound. Although admittedly in high school anything less than Kicker would have gotten him  laughed out of town.

Update:
I took everyone's advice about the box type and went with sealed. Well, I ended up getting another kinda "off-brand" in a sealed box for him today. Went to the store and listened to two Visonik 12's in a sealed box. Sounded better to me than the Duals. I already told him this was what he's getting, and he says that's cool.

Less the Kicker? Didnt know there was such a thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#19]
First, what kind of vehicle is this?    Where would the subs be located?    If it's in an extended cab pickup or hatchback, consider this.   Port noise sucks.

I simply hate being able to hear the air chuffing away as it tries to be forced in and out of a poorly designed bandpass box.

Edited to see that you went with sealed.    good for you, AND HIM.

I went through an evolution of sorts with car audio.    Started with two 8s in a ported box, they were actually surprisingly good for what they were.

Moved to an experimental bandpass box with 2 Orion 10s.    Wasn't impressed.

Wound up going to a 12 inch JL Audio W6 running around 350 watts continous in a 1.25cu ft enclosure.    That thing would rattle your teeth and in some instances make the road ahead of you vibrate while stopped at an intersection.

I have yet to see any serious competition systems retain the bandpass enclosure when going for serious SPL these days.    Reason being, they can often pack 3 speakers in a sealed enclosure that is the same size as what a 2 speaker bandpass enclosure would require.     I have seen 1 or 2 systems with a single 12 in a bandpass box that were done in competition cars but they were very carefully tweaked, not the ordinary enclosure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If he lives in Florida just buy him a tweeter.

Please.

+2

Or send him by my place, my 10kW focused EMP generator is ready to test.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I know you already bought yours but as ahead up for anyone looking for subs,

Crutchfield is running a special for Infinity Subwoofers buy one get one free.

I got 2 10" reference subs, for $80

Haven't installed them yet, waiting to get an amp.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I know people recomend staying away from best buy and other large retailers for car audio stuff but I picked up all this for $300.00

2 12's amp and box ..

( they were running a special deal )

It sounds really good and hits extremely LOW the box has individual enclosures and is non-ported.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I miss my old system from highschool days..    

Sold that too because I was too busy chasing ass..  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top