Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2005 12:54:18 PM EDT
I was looking at this certain model (Sirius Sportster) for my wife's SUV  and decided to hit Best Buy.  I was told that all the stores in the area were out of that certain model and new ones won't be in until January at the latest.  However they had positively eye catching displays of that model with no indication that they were out of stock.  I asked a couple of questions about subscriptions and installation, and was told that you can install this yourself, but we can do it for $50.00 because you might screw up the antenna.  Young punk must have thought I was all thumbs....

So off I go to Circuit City.  Pretty much the same situation with the same response.   Salesman (might be a supervisor because he was wearing a different colored shirt from the rest of the goons) was a pretty cocky fellow.  Tells me the "whole nation is out of that model" and won't be in until the end of January.  So again I ask why doesn't someone put an "OUT OF STOCK"  sign next to the models you don't have any in stock of,  so customers won't get all excited waiting for a salesperson only to be told that they're SOL?

His response: "Because we do carry the item we just don't have any in right now!"

He was dumber than I thought.

So I go online to sirius.com and guess what? They have the exact model in stock and will be in my hands by next week!  And the kicker? NO FUCKING TAXES.  So FUCK YOU Best Buy and Circuit City.  Merry Christmas.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Now, once you get your wife the subscription, take the info and go to their site and register for the online player. It's free for all subscribers. That way, you can listen to satellite radio one any computer that has internet. And she wont know.

You have to call in to activate it, but its free. I told all my friends about it and they listen to it all the time.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy one direct from Sirius, or save a bit of money by buying from Costco online.
Neither of those seem to be havind stock problems -- just bought one :-)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I just avoid shopping in stores this time of year
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking through these the other day, saw Sirrius has a lifetime package for $500.

Expires Jan 31st. iirc.

I dont know what the fine print is, and didnt call them on it, but I think I am getting Sirrius next month. .

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was looking through these the other day, saw Sirrius has a lifetime package for $500.

Expires Jan 31st. iirc.

I dont know what the fine print is, and didnt call them on it, but I think I am getting Sirrius next month. .

on the receiver. If it dies you are SOL on your lifetime deal
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
on the receiver. If it dies you are SOL on your lifetime deal

Well that sucks.

+1

They were going to get $500. Now they may get nothing.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 I asked a couple of questions about subscriptions and installation, and was told that you can install this yourself, but we can do it for $50.00 because you might screw up the antenna.  Young punk must have thought I was all thumbs....

first off, if you buy it there, best buy should do it for free.  also, does her suv have a factory amp?  if it has a retractable antenna hooked up to the factory amp, you do run a risk of fucking up the antenna.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:55:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree on them installing it for free.  I guess my real point was,  the box stores are shit for customer service and that if you can purchase it from the net and save on TAXES,  do it that way.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Expires Jan 31st. iirc.

I wouldn't bet on the lifetime of sirius being that long.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
My antenna sits on the dash (never got around in the last year to get it out on the roof with the other 4 antennas...) and works with only under bridge glitches and dropouts ... so no problems at all ...

Ted...

(check out the Visor Rcvr for Sirius on sale at Sears for $29.99 out the door .. Wally World just priced matched it .. )

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=ELEC&pid=05731216000&subcat=Satellite+Radio
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#12]
espromotions.xmradio.com/xm/emaillogin.aspx

If you know the e-mail address for someone at xm.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expires Jan 31st. iirc.

Really?

Considering XM's parent company has filed bankruptcy, Sirius looks pretty good.

Maybe you XM lovers will be getting your bill from Sirius real soon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#14]

So I go online to sirius.com and guess what? They have the exact model in stock and will be in my hands by next week! And the kicker? NO FUCKING TAXES. So FUCK YOU Best Buy and Circuit City. Merry Christmas.
- ooooooooooooooo, you told them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was looking at this certain model (Sirius Sportster) for my wife's SUV  and decided to hit Best Buy.  I was told that all the stores in the area were out of that certain model and new ones won't be in until January at the latest.  However they had positively eye catching displays of that model with no indication that they were out of stock.

I think they have nothing else to put in there.  Most of the equipment comes from overseas, and I think that Circuit City and Best Buy under-estimated the demand for those units and underbought.  Retailers have to put in their order way in advance, like in Mar to Jun for Sept to Oct delivery in time for Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
well, having a store...its nearly impossible to predict demand at this time of year.  Granted big chains have more money but they also have lots of items to stock.  Its a tough call on what to have tons of and what to have little of so in that respect I gotta say...shop early or buy online.  As for the salespeople..well they get what they pay for and most don't give a crap.

Ran into that this weekend buying a computer part. I told the guy at compusa I needed a cable for it..he says..well they are right around the corner on that aisle.  This is an aisle I just looked at and there is a crapload of cables for EVERYTHING.  It wasn't like it was far and he didn't bother to walk over and say, "here, this should help out".  So I left without buying the cable. I should have one at the house once I determined what it was...and at the checkout with, surprisingly enough..the same guy.... I tell him "yeah I woulda buoght the cable if i coulda figured out which one but since you wouldn't give me the help, I will get it somewhere else".  Not like he cares but at least I will bitch at them.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expires Jan 31st. iirc.

they may go bellyup when they suddenly realize Howard Stern isn't worth $500,000,000. The idiots
ETA: the zeroes is not a typo
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I asked a couple of questions about subscriptions and installation, and was told that you can install this yourself, but we can do it for $50.00 because you might screw up the antenna.  Young punk must have thought I was all thumbs....

first off, if you buy it there, best buy should do it for free.  also, does her suv have a factory amp?  if it has a retractable antenna hooked up to the factory amp, you do run a risk of fucking up the antenna.

Satellite radio does not in any way use the car's antenna...it has it's own. I've installed several Sirius sytems in various cars and in no way have to touch either the cars factory "amp" or antenna.

SG
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Really?

With their commitment to better programming, the NFL, Several of the top Major College programs, the NHL and starting in 2007 NASCAR, Howard Stern etc...plus the fact that their subscriber base is growing substantially faster than XM, I'd say you're incorrect.

SG
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So off I go to Circuit City.  Pretty much the same situation with the same response.   Salesman (might be a supervisor because he was wearing a different colored shirt from the rest of the goons) was a pretty cocky fellow.  Tells me the "whole nation is out of that model" and won't be in until the end of January.  

His response: "Because we do carry the item we just don't have any in right now!"

They have them located right next to the XBox 360
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Satellite radio is growing at very rapid rate, at rate so fast that even over-the-aire broadcaste radio has noticed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Siruis plain rocks...I bought the Clarion Calypso unit about 6 months ago and havent listened to regular FM since...I dont think that Ive listened to a cd in my truck in that amount of time either. I listen to NFL and NBA and the music channels are great. Direct TV just started programming XM channels, I dont like the music very much.  
I had my unit installed in a whole 30 mins. Has nothing to do with the cars antenna...its got its own flat antenna that is magnetic...

BTW, I was at Frys last weekend and they had tons of Sportsters...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
they may go bellyup when they suddenly realize Howard Stern isn't worth $500,000,000. The idiots
ETA: the zeroes is not a typo

Sirius signing up Stern is one of the main reasons I bought an XM receiver.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

With their commitment to better programming, the NFL, Several of the top Major College programs, the NHL and starting in 2007 NASCAR, Howard Stern etc...plus the fact that their subscriber base is growing substantially faster than XM, I'd say you're incorrect.

SG

XM subscriber base: 5 million, up 2.5 million from 2004

Sirius subscriber base : 2.2 million, up 1.2 million from 2004

And where do you get the information about XMSR decaring bankruptcy. I did a Google news search and came up with nothing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Delphi ownes XM.

Filed in October, I think.

And GM owns Delphi...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Look at the statistics for non-OEM auto subscribers. XM has a much larger "user base" due to cars coming pre-installed. Once the free period is over, see how many people pay $13 for the XM that came with their cars.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Question: Lifetime subscription
A lifetime subscription is for the lifetime of the radio. As of April 2005, the SIRIUS Terms of Service state the following:

If you wish to transfer your Subscription to a different SIRIUS Receiver during the term of a prepaid subscription or committed subscription period, we may charge you a transfer fee of up to $75.00. You may only transfer a lifetime Subscription to a different SIRIUS Receiver a maximum of three times.

You will need to contact SIRIUS to do a receiver-swap on your account. A benefit to having a lifetime subscription (even if your unit fails while not under warranty) is you can add up to 3 additional radios under the Multi-Receiver rate.

[ LINK ]

Also I've never actually heard of anyone getting charged the transfer fee.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Delphi ownes XM.

And GM owns Delphi...

Delphi doesn't own XM.  XM Satellite Radio Holdings (Nasdaq: XMSR) owns XM.  XMSR is a publicly-traded company and is listed on the Nasdaq-100.  Delphi may or may not have a stake in XMSR (I know GM and Honda do), but their bankruptcy filing means exactly zero to XM.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at the statistics for non-OEM auto subscribers. XM has a much larger "user base" due to cars coming pre-installed. Once the free period is over, see how many people pay $13 for the XM that came with their cars.

Sirius does exactly the same thing.  And about 40% keep it. <-- can't find the link where I saw that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Satellite radio is growing at very rapid rate, at rate so fast that even over-the-aire broadcaste radio has noticed.

[mr burns]excellent[mr burns]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#32]
I think we've found the new ARFCOM holy war.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Just got Sirius myself Friday.  Ordered from their online store, with a company discount from my company, last week.

They have ground transmitter stations as well.   I live on a hill, and the signal bar menu for the ground station is high there, but almost non-existant in most low lying areas.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Delphi ownes XM.

And GM owns Delphi...

Delphi doesn't own XM.  XM Satellite Radio Holdings (Nasdaq: XMSR) owns XM.  XMSR is a publicly-traded company and is listed on the Nasdaq-100.  Delphi may or may not have a stake in XMSR (I know GM and Honda do), but their bankruptcy filing means exactly zero to XM.

From XM's own website Press releases:

"CLEAR CHANNEL, DIRECTV, GENERAL MOTORS & A PRIVATE INVESTMENT GROUP TAKE COMBINED $250 MILLION STAKE IN XM SATELLITE RADIO"

Link:XM Press Releases

Hmmm...Sure seems like GM and Clear Channel (both known for extreme suckage) own a good part of XM, per XM.

Of course if I ever get a hankering to listen to the USTA tennis matches or worldcup soccer or MLB over The NFL, NHL, NBA or a larger selection of College sports then XM's my ticket.

Now I know why I dumped XM for Sirius.

SG
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

"CLEAR CHANNEL, DIRECTV, GENERAL MOTORS & A PRIVATE INVESTMENT GROUP TAKE COMBINED $250 MILLION STAKE IN XM SATELLITE RADIO"

Hmmm...Sure seems like GM and Clear Channel (both known for extreme suckage) own a good part of XM, per XM.

Of course if I ever get a hankering to listen to the USTA tennis matches or worldcup soccer or MLB over The NFL, NHL, NBA or a larger selection of College sports then XM's my ticket.

SG

True (and I did note that GM owns a stake in XMSR), but my point was that XMSR is a completely separate corporate entity and that Delphi's bankruptcy has nothing to do with XMSR's future.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Delphi ownes XM.

And GM owns Delphi...

SG

NHL is on XM as well.

I don't see how investment by large companies (who may or may not suck) will in turn make XM suck.  All I see in that is stability.  Hell, even Apple is partly owned by Microsoft.  Talk about suck and not suck (depends on your perspective).

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

SG

And where do you get the information about XMSR decaring bankruptcy. I did a Google news search and came up with nothing.

Probably heard it from that lying faggot Stern.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#38]
My local Radio Shack has the Sirius boombox and receiver in stock.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#39]
COLT... Oh, sorry... Wrong thread

I too thought/think Sirius is a bit loonie to pay Stern $100mil a year... There has to be something to the contract to get rid of him if they start taking a bath on the deal.
I think the guy is a dirt bag FWIW... What made him "funny" is what he was/trying to get away with. Without the FCC oversight, he can do what he wants, but ti will lose the shock value IMHO.

Kinda like when they do something edgy on TV or cable and people are like OHHHH AHHHH, but they do it on HBO and it's like "okay." My opinion.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Stern had his 15 minutes when he did his movie. His head swelled and he sucked ever since
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#41]
... I got my G/F's 7-y/o daughter a Delphi receiver with an XM radio subscription for Christmas - partially because I liked mine and partially because she loved playing with my XM receiver on a recent road trip.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
... I got my G/F's 7-y/o daughter a Delphi receiver with an XM radio subscription for Christmas - partially because I liked mine and partially because she loved playing with my XM receiver on a recent road trip.

Make sure you contact XM and get a few of those channels blocked....I think 7 is a little young for O&A on XM 202 ...for example
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I have the XM in my Acura MDX and RL. I let the subscription lapse in the MDX for 6 months.
I only reactivated it because it's only few dollars a month additional due to it being in my RL also.

Now, I don't care for the music programming at all, but in my RL I have instant traffic updates that make it worth while. I don't think Sirius has the traffic feature, so I don't see why anyone would want it for more than the initial subscription.

It's just like cable TV-100 channels and nothing you want to watch/hear. You will be, not surprisingly, underwhelmed by either service.

After all, how many times do you have to hear Kelly Clarkson on 3 channels at the same time-and often it's the same damn song.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Help

I saw on sirius.com that they only have one channel for NBA. But what happens if they have 5 games on at one time? Am I SOL on 4 games?
How will it choose which one I get? I think digital radio is nationwide not regional right?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Delphi ownes XM.

And GM owns Delphi...

SG

Damn, do you even comprehend how the stock market works? How dense are you?

If Bob declares bankruptcy, yet  he owns 100 shares of google stock, that doesn't mean google in in financial trouble.

How freaking moronic.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:01:38 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make sure you contact XM and get a few of those channels blocked....I think 7 is a little young for O&A on XM 202 ...for example

+1, big time. And the comedy channel on ~150.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:23:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[mr burns]excellent[mr burns]

You know, I can't help but wondering when the broadcasters for Sirius and XM are going to consider their customer base has hit the saturation point and it's time to start encouraging advertising on all of the channels for extra income ...  Once traditional broadcast starts getting next to nothing in terms of listeners and adverti$ement, you know this will happen.

I know advertising is necessary, I just HATE it.  You can't get away from it ...  Enough is enough.  Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.  It'll start slow at first ... One commercial every 30 min then back to music but it'll creep.

ETA:  Yes, I know there's more to satellite radio than music channels.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:39:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I bought a Delphi XM unit about 3 months ago.  I love it.  Comedy and Reggae for me, and Nascar for the wife.

I listened to Stern way back when he had a little "talent", but I wouldn't change satellite providers over him.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:44:36 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
COLT... Oh, sorry... Wrong thread

I too thought/think Sirius is a bit loonie to pay Stern $100mil a year... There has to be something to the contract to get rid of him if they start taking a bath on the deal.
I think the guy is a dirt bag FWIW... What made him "funny" is what he was/trying to get away with. Without the FCC oversight, he can do what he wants, but ti will lose the shock value IMHO.

Kinda like when they do something edgy on TV or cable and people are like OHHHH AHHHH, but they do it on HBO and it's like "okay." My opinion.

In essence they are not really paying him $100 mil a year --out of that he has to provide programming 24/7 for 2 satellite channels, that includes recruiting and hiring talent (they get paid out of the $100 mil) and producing content ,manging scheduling and all the other stuff that goes along with running essentially two nationwide radio station. Sirius provides the vehicle. Stern has to fill it and make people want it--oh and show a profit after five years or at least break even if he wants to keep going. Howard is nothing if not a sharp guy businesswise --I think he knows that 24/7  of lesbian dial a date will get old fast. So will talking about himself and his movie all day.

Delphi was one of the principal companies that devloped and licensed the technology that make XM (and to some degree Sirius) radios possible and reliable enough that you and I will buy them and use them daily. Other than licsencing fees (perhaps paid through a small ownership stake) they dont really have anything to do with it day to day.

BTW if you have an AMEX account and do the rewards points both XM and sirius models are avialble through the rewards points program (if only bushmaster or colt would get in on that Id be happy)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top