Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 12:05:26 PM EDT

well, i had my 5yr old att/tdma phone stolen a few weeks ago and figured it might be a good time to upgrade. i dont depend on a phone, but when i use one, i expect a satisfying experience. after five years with the same old phone, i figured id be in for massive tecnology advancement. much to my surprise, and after looking at every phone i could find on the net and in person, my impression is that they all pretty much suck.

my needs arent that great. all i really want in a reasonably durable and compact package is to be able to easily dial outgoing calls and hear them through a decent speaker, access my stored names, and send the occasional text message or email. a calendar for reference is about all the luxury id want. what i see for sale are a bunch flimsy plastic flip phones with tiny buttons, rediculously awkward and primitive display/interfaces, and that seem designed to offer every worthlees feature possible, ring tones, wall paper, downloadable video, but that still come up short as a functional phone. even the supposedly expensive phones at 299.99 are no better. and i didnt find any that allowed easy transfer of files or data to and from a computer.

to top it off all the wirless services seem interested in doing is coming up with ways to make money of the worthlees features. and forcing their subscribers to download everything for a fee. why isnt there a phone that will connect to my computer with bluetooth or wireless, let me use my own images, mp3s, and animations if i want to and sync/backup my address book, call historys, and other settings.

am i missing something? compared to what a 269.00 video ipod can do, something seems horribly wrong with the cell phone market.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
are you pleased with you cell phone and service?

Yep.

I have a Motorola Star Tac and use Verizon.

I can be out in the sticks, the phone is roaming, I can't get my messages or even know if I have any, the phone display doesn't show the date and time...

But it will send and receive calls.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't yak while you drive do you?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree.

I have three needs:
small
durable
phone calls

Instead my choices are:
flimsy
photo
video
pda
voice recorder
etc

Why don't they make a Motorola RAZR out of alum billet and eliminate the BS "features?"
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
i havent had impressive cell service anytime, but i am greatful that i nolonger have to ccw my motorola bagphone. i do miss those huge numbers when dialing after dark though
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
My phone service sucks,  I have an old Kyocera phantom that I've beat the shit out of and it just comes back for more everytime.  It's the only reason I haven't gotten different service.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm happy w/ Sprint, no problems, but I'm switching to Cingular because I get discounts through my employer.

A Razr for $75.. who would have thunketh?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Cingular customer service sucks ass, but the rollover feature saved my ass this month - racked up 150 overage minutes before i realized it; thank god i had a few hundred in reserve.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Cingular sucks here as well, they have the customer service of a Dungeon and connections are like tin cans in a wind storm.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Verizon and a Samsung i730

Very Pleased
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope, no covefage at my housebut there is 300 meters down the road. I will say my current provider Verizon is much better than my former, sprint. I will never do business with sprint again, they are crooked cocksmokers of the highest order.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Nextel is awesome, as long as you can see the tower that is.

Go in any rural area and you got diddley for a signal.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Verizon is the best, but consider the fact they are all "wireless" and therefore it is obvious that it will never be perfect!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Alltel.  The service is fine.  
What I hate is all the tax's/fees they add to the bill.  A $40 plan ends up being $67/month!  

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Nokia 2128 - My cousin has one he likes (not a flip) through Verizon, I think he said.

Sprint Customer Service & payment processing sucks.  I spent 45 minutes reading a biography once, wnile waiting to talk to a human.   Then said human was dumb as a rock - Insisted that all my voicemail was contained in the handset.    Oh yeah, then they waited to post my payment until 10 days AFTER the check cleared and added a late charge when it had cleared the bank BEFORE the due date.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#15]
As long as I can stay out of the store, and deal with customer service over the phone than I am fine with Sprint.  

Last time I went to the store I waited for 2 fucking hours got shitty service when I finally got somebody to help me by the time it was done though. After I had cussed everybody in the store I got 6 months worth of service for the price of three.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm happy enough with verizon, but I liked Altel better before my company changed service.

I do have the same complaint about the phones though. I just want a compact, thin package that works and has good ergo. I don't need a camera, color display, mp3's, ringtones, internet, bluetooth, blah. Just give me a small phone that works.

We are subject to the whims of kids the same as we are in buying a pair of running shoes in all those goofy space plastic colors. Fucking kids and their stupid trends are pissing me off.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Consumer Reports did an extensive evaluation of cell phone service, go to the local library and look them up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I have not been happy with any of the local US Cellular offices,shitty service,POS phones&dropped calls,(been with them for 8 years)the wife has used Sprint for about 5 years,bout the same sevice only throw in some billing problems,.....I decided to go with a pre-pay TRACFONE,I activated the phone on-line,add minuites online,and the phone works on the same towers as all the rest....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Consumer Reports did an extensive evaluation of cell phone service, go to the local library and look them up.

and Verizon smoked everyone in all contests (except customer service, they won, but not by much)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#20]
NO, thats why I cancelled my contract. I had to pay a early out fee, but it was damn worth it to me, never again.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#21]
T-Mobile pre-paid.  Sturdy little Nokia 6010, free after rebates and came with 1:30 in airtime.  Had to drop another $90 for 100 hours of airtime, good for over a year (and about 3 times more airtime than I need).  No real issues at all other than T-Mobile pre-paid coverage is not everywhere (I have a tough time getting a signal in my house).  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Sprint...Treo 650...yes
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Cingular sucks here as well, they have the customer service of a Dungeon and connections are like tin cans in a wind storm.

Same here "tin like" sound quality. Picked up a new Motorola Razr phone about 2 months ago . The phone is nice but the sound and connections seem like your dangling on the edge of disconnect.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#24]
If it weren't for Nextel, which went to shit when Sprint PCS bought them, the i530 would fit what you describe very well.

I can't wait for my contract to be up. I think I should have been able to opt out of my contract, no fee, when Sprint bought Nextel. I signed a contract with Nextel because I can't stand Sprint.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Treo 600, and as a phone, it sucks donkey dicks.  So, we are getting upgraded to the 650, which also sucks donkey dicks as a phone.  The 700 will be out in a month or so, and I'm betting it will only be marginally better.  I do have to say that for e-mail it is awesome.  My service is Cingular, and guess what...it sucks also.  I don't know if the nagging cell phone problems today are a result of phones being considered disposable by the manufacturers, or that the service providers have employees that couldn't hack it at McDonald's or the post office, or a function of both.  Oh well...we're stuck.

Blake
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Verizon/Nokia 3589i - Verizon is the only provider that works at my house, and it even works in my basement!  The 3589i is a simple no frills phone and works very well.  Not sure if it's still available.

ETA:  Looks like the Nokia 2128i is the closest to what I have.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Cingular sucks here in western WA.

I have Verizon Wireless and it is excellant service.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Alltel here... Aside from a month period where I/they were having problems, I've always gotten great service/connection/quality. The good thing is that Verison and AllTel use each others towers and I do think Verizon has more.

The Motorola Star-Tac was the best phone ever made, it worked everywhere and was durable, it's only drawback was that it would heat up. I lost mine in a river and got an LG camera phone, what a POS... It's like an outdated slow computer from the Apollo space missions and the volume sucks.

Hey !! Someone make a normal phone w/o all the gizmo shit ! Thought the camera feature can come in handy at times.

ETA: One thing to watch about Alltel, they will change their plans and not tell you. My old plan was 600 anytime min for $49.95 You can now get 1000 for $49.95, they don't update you on their new plans.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine works every where but at my house. I can cross the street, go next door, and have five bars. Step into my yard and I got nothing. I think it's a conspriracy.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#30]
STAY AWAY FROM AT&T........
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Annalog rules!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#32]
v710  verizonwireless.        

sprint sucks, IMO   at least in lexington
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I switched from Verizon to Cingular because i couldnt get service in most of the 40 mile drive to work.  Cingular may have good reception they SUCK DONKEY BALLS, 3 yrs now and theres no telling how many times ive been fucked by them, thinking about changing jobs so i can go back to Verizon, around 10 years and NEVER a problem.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I just cancelled my phone, and learned something about getting a cheap calling plan.....

I got a Verizon phone in September because I was planning to try to move across country. Due to conditions caused by the massive hurricane season, I visited the target area but ditn't move there. So I had a mobile phone that I was paying for and not using at all. I hardly ever make or get phone calls from or to anyone. I hate people.

When I shopped around locally, the cheapest plans were $39.99.month and the contract terms were two years. For some reason that I forget now, I signed up for the $59.99 month plan.  

When I called today to cancel it, first they offered to drop the contract term to one year (including the three months already passed). I specifically asked about switching the same phone to a prepay account, but they said that wasn't possible. ....Then they offered to change me to a $39.99/month plan, then they offered a $34.99/month plan (I forget the minutes they said), and finally they offered a $24.99/month plan (I think was 300 minutes total), which I declined too.
Because really, 300 minutes a month is about 295 more than I'll be likely to use anyway.
For some people, monthly plans are truly a waste of money and prepay is the way to go.

And yes, the minutes did decline with the plan prices--but no cellphone provider (in the US) publicly offers a monthly plan on one-year terms for $24.99/mo. If they had, I'd have probably tried that first.
-----
So if you want a sub-sized calling plan, you might want to try calling up and asking about quitting.
(-my bill was paid up when I tried this; they might not be so courteous to someone that's got a past-due balance)
~
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I use Alltel.  The service is fine.  
What I hate is all the tax's/fees they add to the bill.  A $40 plan ends up being $67/month!  

Yep.

I had Sprint for a year then Alltel for 2.  I hated Sprint but liked Alltel until that is, my contract came to an end and they didnt wanna negotiate any on it.
So after it expired, I cancelled with them after the bitch at the customer service desk got snooty.
My mom called to cancel and the phone CS asked if there was anything they could do and I thought for about 2secs to offer them my terms I wanted like I did the bitch at the desk but I said "no, theres not. bai."

Went to CellOne, had better plans for better price.  Girl I talked to the day I got my plan said that Alltel had just bought them out.

I was like, "you fucking cockwhoring pieces of shit."

Good service with them so far, been real happy.  Only had it for 9 mos though before I deployed so...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Cingular/ Ericson phone. Been happy so far. Good signal and service.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I have had verizon for about a year, and for the first while they were great, but as of late they have sucked.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had Stinkular since it was Southwestern Bell Mobile Systems in 1992. I've also had company phones on Sprint, T-Mobile, Next-Hell, Verizon and Alltel.

They all suck.

The best one I ever had was a 3G Siemens something-or-other on Orange in Egypt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Had ATT /LG G4020    Worked great just about everywhere I went, but in my house.

Have a Verizon / Moto. V60  workes great in the house, and in this area.. but I go about an hour south of here pretty often, and it is pretty lousy.   Only reason I have it is because its provided by work .
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Cingular
Overall satisfied.  

For coverage:
I am getting more frequent, "network busy", or "call failed" responses when dialing numbers.  

As far as customer service is concerned:
Haven't had to use them much.  But I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Cingular service today, Sunday.  They guy, American, wouldn't let the call go until the problem was worked.  Trying to track down the odd problem, we replaced the SIM card real-time.  He's also sending a replacement phone just in case.  No way can "tech service" deny its not their problem after this.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Have Sprint but may go to Verizon, ALL the phones I have seen are laden with crap (apparently to feed the ADD/Gameboy crowd)

I don't want or need downloadable ringtones
I don't want or need a phone camera
I don't want or need an electronic dayplanner
I don't want or need games to waste time on
I don't want or need multiple displays
I don't want or need compact designs with screens too small to read and buttons too small to push
I don't want or need text messaging
I don't want or need snap-on candy apple red phone covers
I don't want or need Bluetooth capability

All I want is a phone that works, reliably, and that doesn't require teensy fingers or a magnifying glass to use.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
All I want is a phone that works, reliably, and that doesn't require teensy fingers or a magnifying glass to use.

Same here.  My StarTAc is about 5 years old.  I don't want or need the text and web browsing features.  But I told them I wanted the best, most reliable, etc phone - and that's what he handed me.  I am very happy with it.

I dread my next phone purchase.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Yep, I'm happy with Tracfone.  Costs me about $15/mo to keep it stocked with enough minutes, and if I get tired of it, I can run it over with a backhoe and buy a new one for $19.99.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Sprint has worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#46]
almost 1 year with Cingular after being 3-4 with ATT, no probs whatsoever with Cingular except at the very beginning when the sales droid made me pay an initiation fee then promised it would be credited on my first bill, which it wasn't, but I called Customer Service and poof!  Got the credit.  Reception is a lot better than ATT ever was for me.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'm happy w/ Sprint, no problems, but I'm switching to Cingular because I get discounts through my employer.

A Razr for $75.. who would have thunketh?

Don't do it!!  Cingular sucks compared to Sprint.

I wanted a deal on a new camera phone but couldn't get a deal through Sprint.  So I shopped around and signed up with Cingular.

Worst mistake I could've made.  I have my own business so getting my calls is most important.  I've had voicemails just disappear.  Customers also say my voicemail sounds like a fax machine when they call.  I've had my voicemail box "reset" but the problems persist.  

And then there is the phone.  It powers down 5 min. into a phone call for no apparent reason.  

I about ready to "fire" Cingular for piss poor service.  I'm going back to Sprint with my tail between my legs.  It would have been worth it to just pay more for the phone with Sprint.

Your results may vary...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top