Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 11:57:51 AM EDT
It seems to come in on the phone in the upstairs bedroom only.

I can still have a conversation with someone on the other end, but the Spanish music in the background is just loud enough to be a little annoying.

Only I can hear it and no, I'm not schizo.  

A question for any AR15.com phone experts...Is my phone picking up a radio signal or what?

Scott
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#1]
you are freaking out, maaaan
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yo quero taco bell.

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
have you recently gotten a new phone?   Are you currently using a cordless phone?   If you have recently got a new phone, try using a different cord from the base to the wall.  If you are using a cordless, try using a different channel.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
nsa wiretap.

those huys are as incompetent as they are corrupt.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont worry man it happens to me all the time. Whenever i am about to plug in my guitar to my amp, i hear a spanish christian radio staion.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
POTS is so simple, the analog lines can pick up on things like AM radio stations.

One time I heard Michael Savage through my toner working on a phone system.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Is 89grand back from his vacation yet?

He'd be wailing like a crack baby over this.

"ILLEGAL ALIEN MUSIC ON MY PHONE! WTF!"

Is my phone picking up a radio signal or what?

That's exactly what's happening.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is 89grand back from his vacation yet?

He'd be wailing like a crack baby over this.

"ILLEGAL ALIEN MUSIC ON MY PHONE! WTF!"

Actually, it's probably a conspiracy to turn you into an illegal.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, your phone is picking up a radio station.  I would imagine that if you tried a differant phone it would stop.
You could always think of it as free "on hold" music:)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC, cordless phones have the abillity to pick up signals from radios, garage door openers, etc.  If there is a Channel Selector on the phone, try switching till it goes away.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#12]
mexican spies   they are all over Texas   looks like they are in Georgia
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL, you guys are loco.  

I have a cordless upstairs, but it never has the background noise....it's only on the landline phone upstairs and not on the downstairs living room & garage phones.

I'll buy another one in order to get rid of this never-ending phone fiesta. That means someone in the EE will be getting a little less money from me, though.

While I'm at it, the one living room needs to be replaced, too....it has a permanent humming sound in the background. I don't think it's the NSA, I'm just buying cheap phones.

Thanks for the advice!

Scott

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
LOL, you guys are loco.  

I have a cordless upstairs, but it never has the background noise....it's only on the landline phone upstairs and not on the downstairs living room & garage phones.

I'll buy another one in order to get rid of this never-ending phone fiesta. That means someone in the EE will be getting a little less money from me, though.

While I'm at it, the one living room needs to be replaced, too....it has a permanent humming sound in the background. I don't think it's the NSA, I'm just buying cheap phones.

Thanks for the advice!

Scott

FYI, just getting another phone may not fix the problem. If it's a plain telephone line coming into the house, it may be the wiring itself that is acting as the antenna.  Just a note, so if you get another phone and it doesn't stop.

ETA: The humming thing may not be your phone either.  Double-check the wiring in the house.  You don't have to check the entire wire, but just where it terminates.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Common problem if you are close to the tower it broadcast from. If it's only happening on one phone it's more than likely the instrument itself. GE, V Tech, and those little phones with neon lights are really prone to this. If it does it with another phone take the jack off of the wall and check the wire connections on the back.  Radio Shack makes an in line radio suppressor you can install but usually it's the phone.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds to me like you have a ground loop in the wiring that is acting like an antenna that is on the same freq as the local mexican radio station.  

What you need to do is find out what frequency on the radio the station is and calculate how long of a wavelength that would be.  Then you can approximate what wiring could be causing the ruckus.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top