Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 10:22:46 AM EDT
Was flying my cargo run this morning..............autopilot was on, just looking out the windscreen and thinking to myself how lucky I am to have such a job that I really like, above the clouds, bright blue sky, fluffy white clouds below me, and I just happened to look down at my watch and noticed that the time was within 5 minutes one month ago when Dad died from lung cancer.

I then felt that awful "empty" feeling again..............but then started to feel a little better since Dad also loved to fly (ex B-36 bomber mechanic) and was happy for me since he knew how happy I was with flying for a living.  He use to like to  ride along and run the checklist.  

But man, I sure miss him.  What a great man he was.

vmax84

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Vmax I know how you feel.  It does get better but you really never stop missing the old man.  Time does make things easy but you really never forget.  But he would have wanted you to get on with your life and do well.  

Fly safe.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps he's back in his beloved Peacemaker, flying a little higher this time...

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#3]
We're keeping Mom busy...........I'm fortunate to have 2 of my 3 sisters in town (the other one comes to Mom's on the weekend), so between all of us, we're over there helping her out, keeping the house maintained, driveway blown out from snow, etc.  Mom seems to be doing ok, but I'm sure she has her moments like the rest of us do.

Can't really explain it...........just have this huge empty hole in my heart.  I suppose like most guys, they really looked up/ respected their Dad's.

But I know that he would of wanted me to "press on", which I'm doing.  I did, however, save a few of the 30.06 shell casings from the honor guard and a few other things from the funeral.  Their in my gun safe.  

Just have to keep Mom occupied with taking her to the kid's events and such.  I know she really misses him.  She gave myself and my sisters a Christmas Tree ornament that said "I love you and don't weep for me since I'm spending Christmas with Jesus this year"......................totally brought me to my knees.  

vmax84

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad died 5 years ago now on this date.  It still feels like it just happened. In otherwords the pain is still there. However, my dad accepted Christ as his Saviour a week before he died and shortly after that I was Saved. So I know where he is and instead of Goodbye it's a see you later.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Perhaps he's back in his beloved Peacemaker, flying a little higher this time...

www.air-and-space.com/peacemkr/Fairchild%20AFB%20RB-36%20Don%20Gasvoda%20a%20l.jpg

Great pic!!  I didn't have that one.  Yeah, Dad really loved the old airplane and was very proud to have been a part of the Strategic Air Command.  He would often comment on how proud of a group his people were and would fiercly (sp?) defend our men and women in uniform.  

He especially would not tolerate people who belittled the military (I saw first hand one time a guy make fun of the military and saw how my Dad got in his face................a gentle man he was, but don't talk bad about the military or the people who served in the military) and always thought people who have served their country were special people.

vmax84
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#6]
My Dad passed away Friday Dec. 13th 1996.

If your Dad's like mine, he's always nearby.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I know the feeling - my mom passed about 8 years ago, and it seems like every day something makes me think of her.  I still have my dad, but he's getting pretty old (90) so I try to spend as much time with him as possible - when he's not out playing golf or fly fishing...

As time goes by, the pain goes away, but you'll always miss him.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We're keeping Mom busy...........I'm fortunate to have 2 of my 3 sisters in town (the other one comes to Mom's on the weekend), so between all of us, we're over there helping her out, keeping the house maintained, driveway blown out from snow, etc.  Mom seems to be doing ok, but I'm sure she has her moments like the rest of us do.

Can't really explain it...........just have this huge empty hole in my heart.  I suppose like most guys, they really looked up/ respected their Dad's.

But I know that he would of wanted me to "press on", which I'm doing.  I did, however, save a few of the 30.06 shell casings from the honor guard and a few other things from the funeral.  Their in my gun safe.  

Just have to keep Mom occupied with taking her to the kid's events and such.  I know she really misses him.  She gave myself and my sisters a Christmas Tree ornament that said "I love you and don't weep for me since I'm spending Christmas with Jesus this year"......................totally brought me to my knees.  

vmax84

I understand completely. My dad passed passed Nov 12, so just a little over a month now. It is much easier now than it was but everytime I go shoot, everytime I do something to my Firebird or load up the boat to go fishing I usually get a little down in the dumps as those were all things we enjoyed doing together since I was old enough to remember. I sure hope it gets easier as time goes on. Christmas I think will be quite hard though, we'll just have to see. Like you we just keep my mom real busy, luckily she went back to work fairly quickly so that has helped.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, Christmas is going to be tough..............we all go over to Mom and Dads and have Christmas over there.  

We will all still be going over there, but will seem strange not seeing Dad in his favorite chair......laughing, smiling, singing Christmas hymns, messing with the kids, etc.  

He just leaves a huge void in our family.

vmax84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top