Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:12:46 AM EDT
Still having a hard time just cooking for one.  I always end up making too much, and I don't really care for leftovers.  I like to eat decient food, as I live out of cans or MREs for about 6mo. out of the year.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks to all who gave me some on my "Going to the grocery store" thread.  They have been saved.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#1]
one itallian sausage(hot/mild, doesnt matter)
1/4 of an onion
1/4 of a bell pepper
1 roma tomato
olive oil
pasta of your choice
parmesan cheese
garlic powder or garlic salt

start your pasta boiling.  chop the bell pepper and onion, slice the sausage, saute them in a pan with olive oil or butter season with garlic powder/salt.  cook till the sausage is done, add diced tomatos then sprinkle it with parmesan.  drain pasta, toss into skillet with the sausage and veggies, sprinkle with more cheese, mix and allow the pasta to get some more of the greasy goodness on it and serve.

I'd reccomend crock pot recipes but they usually make enough for leftovers all week.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok,this is good and cheap.You do have a cast iron skillet,properly seasoned,rightIf not,get one.
Ok,here is how I make chicken fried steak.
1/2 lb of cube steak
1.5 cups of flower
one sleave of saltine crackers
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

Put the the ingrediants into a ziplock bag,crushing up the crackers into crumbs.Put steaks into bag,cover with coating,take out of bag,dip the steaks into an egg and milk wash,put back into bag and cover again,pressing down to get the coating into the steak.After all your steak is good and coated,put into freezer for 20 minutes or so to harden coating.Preheat cast iron skillet with about 1/4" of veg oil or so untill the oil is almost smoking.Fry on both sides about 3 to 4 minutes.An excellent gravey can be made from the leavins in the skillet,I usually make this with either french fries or mashed potatoes.

Edit-I know you are on a budget,I guesstimate per serving cost with side is about 3 bucks or less.Prep time is 10 minutes or so.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Top Ramen

Hot Pockets

Celeste Pizza

Mmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Also,not exactly made from scratch,but next time at china mart,look for the smithfield brand of premade,boil in the bag roastbeef.It comes in an au ju sauce that rocks.I swear I cant tell this from made from scratch.Costs about 5 bucks for a bag,all you have to do is put it into a pot of water and boil.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#6]
OK,another one.Get a chub of bob evens hot sausage,and a box of zaferan dirty rice.Crumble and brown as much of the sausage as you want,prepare rice according to the directions,adding the sausage about halfway till the rice is done.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]
cheese in a can
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]
1 box  Kraft Mac & cheese + 1 can chilli.   makes a good meal.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ok,this is good and cheap.You do have a cast iron skillet,properly seasoned,rightIf not,get one.
Ok,here is how I make chicken fried steak.
1/2 lb of cube steak
1.5 cups of flower
one sleave of saltine crackers
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

Put the the ingrediants into a ziplock bag,crushing up the crackers into crumbs.Put steaks into bag,cover with coating,take out of bag,dip the steaks into an egg and milk wash,put back into bag and cover again,pressing down to get the coating into the steak.After all your steak is good and coated,put into freezer for 20 minutes or so to harden coating.Preheat cast iron skillet with about 1/4" of veg oil or so untill the oil is almost smoking.Fry on both sides about 3 to 4 minutes.An excellent gravey can be made from the leavins in the skillet,I usually make this with either french fries or mashed potatoes.

Edit-I know you are on a budget,I guesstimate per serving cost with side is about 3 bucks or less.Prep time is 10 minutes or so.

Thanks for the ideas...+1 on the cast iron.  It's all I cook in.  When the ex was here she had to have her fancy Celphalon pots and pans, and she never cooked anything that did'n't come out of a box.  $500+ for pans to cook Mac n Cheese in.  I have 8 different cast iron skillets, most bought from yard sales and such.  For pots its nothing but cast dutch ovens, some with legs, some without.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok,here is another one,a little more expensive,involved and makes a lot more,although you could play with the ingredients to suit you,lasanga

Box of the no boil lasanga,dosnt really mater which brand
1 to 2 jars of spaghetti sauce,depending on whether you want to make the whole box
1 cup of cottage cheese
1 pack of pizza pepperoni
1/2lb of hambuger
1 small can of grated parmison cheese
1 of the half lb packs of shredded italian cheese you can find in the dairy section
garlic salt to taste

crumble and brown the hambuger,add it to the sauce while you simmer it on low heat
spray a cassarole dish of the correct size with nonstick spray,start layering the noodles,then sauce with browned burger,garlic salt,pepperoni and cheese,both shreded and grated.Put your layer of cottage cheese here,then more noodles and repeat.
Place into a preheated oven @ 350 for about 45 minutes,covered with aluminum foil.Uncover after 45 minutes and bake another 5 to 10 minutes,at this time add the garlic bread to the oven if you like that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok,you have a dutch oven.Take and salt and pepper a couple of 1/2" porkchops,cover the bottom of the dutch oven with oil and preheat it.Once heated sear and brown both chops on both sides,remove and put in a betty crocker potatoes au grautin according to the directions,put the chops on top of the potatoes and just let it perculate for about 45min to an hour.I have made this many times in mine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't ask me ....

I've been single 6+ years and like to cook and
like good food as well . Some recopies come out
better when cooked in larger batches like soups '
stews and sauces .

I bought a vac food saver and make up dinner
plates and freeze them . Then my GF , Ex wife or
my kids come by and stock up on their favorites .
It’s a trial and error thing with the vac saved meals
though , because some foods come out perfect
after freezing and reheating . While others lose
Their appeal the second time around .

Other times I end up throwing away stuff that I
left the fridge because I thought I was going
to eat them but never did
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#13]
ground beef (browned)
package of mac and cheese (prepared)
and a can of Rotel tomatoes and chilis (drained)

You can Rotel the difference
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok,got this one off of the food network.The called it cowboy baked beens.
Get a big can of baked beens at the market,I use bushs but it dosnt matter.
About 1/4 pound of bacon
about 1/4 of an onion
1/4 cup of brown mustard
1/4 cup of ketcup
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 bottle of dark beer
cut the bacon up into about 1/2" long pieces with a pare of kitchen scissors,chop the onion,dump both into a skillet,salt and pepper.You dont want to cook the bacon all the way,just get it started.
While the bacon is frying,dump the rest of the ingredients into a metal pot,you could use your dutch oven.When the bacon and onions are ready,stir into the other stuff,cover and put into a preheated 300 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry,double post
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Klink,

You are awesome man.  I am a good cook but I have just got stuck in a rut of eating the same old things.  Thanks for the eye openers.

Trav
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#17]
No problem,I am still trying to think up stuff I normally make.I will post anymore I remember.Btw,if you dont have one,get a smoker.I have a beef brisket out on the deck that has been smoking since 12:00.Went out about half an hour ago to add wood chips,damn it smells good
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Get some Tony Cachere's Creole Seasoning.

I make Mac & Cheese with it.  Cook up about a half-pound/pound hamburger, onions, and some garlic.  Add season to taste.  Cook up mac & cheese in separate pot, including cheese, otherwise the cheese will not mix right with the hamburger.  Add hamburger mix to macaroni, and a can of drained petite diced tomatoes.  Heat again (because it will be cool) while stirring.

Serve with mass quantities of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
No problem,I am still trying to think up stuff I normally make.I will post anymore I remember.Btw,if you dont have one,get a smoker.I have a beef brisket out on the deck that has been smoking since 12:00.Went out about half an hour ago to add wood chips,damn it smells good

We could be bros.  I got a smoker, use Tony Carcheres an almost everything, and just happen to have a brisket in the freezer.  Time to go get it out to thaw,
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Heck just cook a big ole dinner, and freeze what you dont eat for another time.

My freezer stays full of leftovers, not a problem it really saves time when it comes to cooking.

I only cook a few times a week, the rest of the meals are reheated.

Leftover Enchiladas and Lasagna are allways better the next day.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

A cast iron skillet?? Hell, I've got a collection!

I like my women like I like my cast iron skillets.....  sizzling hot, smooth, and glistening with oil.

ETA:

I know you don't like leftovers, but as someone else said, somethings come out better in big batches like soup. I've got a killer recipe for chicken & orzo soup that I'll post when I get home.

I also like to make a big mess of pot roast in the slow cooker.

A good single serving meal is a boneless chicken breast and half of one of those Uncle Ben's quick rice packages. Throw together and toss in the microwave. Ten minutes later and some soy sauce you j00 be eatin' good, mang!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A cast iron skillet?? Hell, I've got a collection!

I like my women like I like my cast iron skillets.....  sizzling hot, smooth, and glistening with oil.

ETA:

I know you don't like leftovers, but as someone else said, somethings come out better in big batches like soup. I've got a killer recipe for chicken & orzo soup that I'll post when I get home.

I also like to make a big mess of pot roast in the slow cooker.

A good single serving meal is a boneless chicken breast and half of one of those Uncle Ben's quick rice packages. Throw together and toss in the microwave. Ten minutes later and some soy sauce you j00 be eatin' good, mang!

Dude,that makes the baby Jesus cry
If you own the indespensible cast iron skillet,salt,lemon pepper on the breast,oil in the skillet so hot it is smoking,4 to 5 minutes on each side and .Now the rice,you do what you have to do
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Try this, and if anyone is within range ... you won't have any leftovers.   Stay safe

BLUEBERRY CRUMBLE

5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries   (Much better with fresh)
          (2 bags frozen or 2 baskets of fresh are usually plenty)
1- 9" reduced-fat graham cracker crust
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
      OR
1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
8oz carton lo-fat sour cream or fat-free
1/4 cup dry plain breadcrumbs
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons of melted margarine

1) preheat oven to 375 degrees
2) place blueberries in crust, set aside
3) combine brown sugar, flour, vanilla, rind, and sour cream ; spread over blueberries.
Combine breadcrumbs, granulated sugar, and margarine; sprinkle over sour cream mixture.
Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until set and crumbs are slightly brown.
Cool about 1 hour on a wire rack.    Makes about 8 servings.

PER SERVING: 312 calories, fat 8.4grms, protein 3.2grms, carb 56.5 grms
Recipe also works with chopped apples. The first “slice” will make it clear why they call these types of pies “crumbles”.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#24]
During my Sailor days, I would whip up some rice-a-roni and cut up some cubed chicken breasts in it. Let it cook for 1/2 an hour, et voila!! Dinner!! Quick & easy !!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#25]
try the book "six ingrediants or less'  some fast easy stuff to eat.

or another cool cook book is " A man, a can and a plan "

both are easy and fast !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top