Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 8:02:13 AM EDT
Its a new ZV6130US HP laptop.  The specs say it came with 512mb of ram.  I pulled the access cover off the bottom and the card says 256MB DDR bla bla bla.  So, since there seems to only be one slot for ram, how does it get 512 out of one 256 card?

Can I even upgrade the RAM?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Its a new ZV6130US HP laptop.  The specs say it came with 512mb of ram.  I pulled the access cover off the bottom and the card says 256MB DDR bla bla bla.  So, since there seems to only be one slot for ram, how does it get 512 out of one 256 card?

Some laptops like the IBM thinkpads have the RAM in 2 locations.  Most Dells have both slots in the same location underneath.  Not sure about the HP but there may be another slot under the keyboard or elsewhere.

Sure you can upgrade.  Go to Crucial.com, go through their wizard to find the specs for the memory used by your laptop, then buy some memory on newegg.com (since they're cheaper than crucial) using those specs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
most likely you have 256 on the board and they added 256mb dim.

if you only have one slot then you must add 256k to whatever size dim you buy to equal the amount of ram you want.

keep in mind if they have done that then your RAM is likely shared with video as well. the more you have the better you will be.

The last time I replaced ram was in '99 and at that time you had to upgrade two at a time.  IE:  16 and another 16.  You couldn't do a 16 and a 28.  

Has that changed now?  I've looked over the whole laptop and cant find another slot for ram unless I was to take the keyboard out and check there, not happening.  

So, I can put a 744MB DDR in there and effectively have 1GB?  

If it helps, the laptop has a dedicated 128MB ram for the ATI Video Card.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some laptops like the IBM thinkpads have the RAM in 2 locations.  Most Dells have both slots in the same location underneath.  Not sure about the HP but there may be another slot under the keyboard or elsewhere.

Sure you can upgrade.  Go to Crucial.com, go through their wizard to find the specs for the memory used by your laptop, then buy some memory on newegg.com (since they're cheaper than crucial) using those specs.

UMMMM...

IBM DOES NOT have ram in seperate locations. DIM slots are next to each other. SOME ibm laptops have a seperate cahe module that is replaceable. It is NOT customer replaceable and therefor has no access compartment to acces it. DO NOT FUCK WITH THE CACHE MODULE

I'm typing on a T42p right now that has 1 DIMM slot under the case, and one under the keyboard and I've replaced them both to give me 2GB of memory.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

UMMMM...

IBM DOES NOT have ram in seperate locations. DIM slots are next to each other. SOME ibm laptops have a seperate cahe module that is replaceable. It is NOT customer replaceable and therefor has no access compartment to acces it. DO NOT FUCK WITH THE CACHE MODULE

I'm typing on a T42p right now that has 1 DIMM slot under the case, and one under the keyboard and I've replaced them both to give me 2GB of memory.

He is correct, Beer Slayer I am shocked! I service T40/41/42's all day long and they have one dimm under the keyboard and one dimm on the bottom under a cover.

I would bet that the HP will have similar. It has been a while since I have seen actual built in ram on a MB, it is cheaper to install DIMMs.

YMMV

dave

Kingston or Crucial should have memory installation instructions.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Kingston memory selection

It's ok Beer Slayer, I figured it was early in the morning
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
whoops, forgot about the 40 series. thats a different animal than the others. yes you are correct. .

Moderator is a  JK

Just insure it's a dim before you pull it.

ggll, to answer your question dim's on a 32 bit machine do not require pairs. it is single chip memmory. the old sim's you replaced in pairs were 16bit memmory. thus 2 to equal 32 bits.

One thing that might be of interest, if this is one of the newer laptops with dual channel memory, you might want to pair your memory for an overrated performance boost
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top