Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 7:31:30 PM EDT
My nephew has signed up to join the Marines. He's going to basic training in April.

What can I get him that he can use?  I understand that during basic, if they want him to have it, they'll issue it.  However, there have to be some "must haves" for recruits or newly minted Marines.

What say you all?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
www.grunt.com For all your USMC gift needs.

AFIK, the only thing you take to Bootcamp with you is some running shoes and your social security card. At least that's all they asked for in 82.

Edit;

Get him a USMC history book and a Guide Book for Marines to study up on before he leaves. Get him a KaBar knife if he graduates.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]
After boot, and MCT & SOI or what ever, he will need mag pulls 7, and he will need a Kbar  w kydex sheath. Buy them now, and hold on to them till he can have them when he gets to his unit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent!  Keep 'em coming, Marines.

(Shameless bump)
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
running shoes ????????????????

WE ran in our boots.
3056 PI
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I also suggest the K-Bar and a book on Marine Corps History so that he can read up before leaving for boot.

The following is a great book, but if he has the time to read all 916 pages before April, he's not out doing enough PT to get ready for boot...

The U.S. Marine Corps Story
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

WE ran in our boots.
3056 PI

Boots? As in more than one boot? Lucky!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

WE ran in our boots.
3056 PI

A pair of boots to practice running in. It'll get him nice and ready for what's the come.

www.quanticoboot.com is a reputable store.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]
KaBar!  

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#9]
How about a curling iron?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Might I suggest a good flashlight & a good multitool?  2 items that any soldier/sailor/marine will use often, especially in the field.  Not as "tactical" as a KaBar, but they would both probably see more actual use.

I'd suggest whatever multi-tool you like best (I'm partial to gerber), and then a good light (I'd consider going w/ an LED light - in the 1-3 watt luxeon LED range - pricey, but no bulbs to blow out, and lights that use standard AA batteries can be found). They won't be necessarily "tactical" light bright, but they would be good for most jobs (the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA 1 watt Luxeon light (~$30) gets very good reviews).

Heck, depending on how much you want to spend, do the ar15.com thing and get them all :) (should be able to get all of them for less than $150)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
A prostitute
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Might I suggest a good flashlight & a good multitool?  2 items that any soldier/sailor/marine will use often, especially in the field.  Not as "tactical" as a KaBar, but they would both probably see more actual use.

I'd suggest whatever multi-tool you like best (I'm partial to gerber), and then a good light (I'd consider going w/ an LED light - in the 1-3 watt luxeon LED range - pricey, but no bulbs to blow out, and lights that use standard AA batteries can be found). They won't be necessarily "tactical" light bright, but they would be good for most jobs (the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA 1 watt Luxeon light (~$30) gets very good reviews).

Heck, depending on how much you want to spend, do the ar15.com thing and get them all :) (should be able to get all of them for less than $150)

This is good stuff!

A prostitute

He already gets more ass than a bicycle seat.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember a similar thread a while back here or on GT.  He ended up giving a Gerber/Leatherman with  the Marine's name, "USMC", and date of graduation engraved on it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
www.grunt.com For all your USMC gift needs.

AFIK, the only thing you take to Bootcamp with you is some running shoes and your social security card. At least that's all they asked for in 82.

+1 for SGT Grit's for post-grad goodies. The less stuff you bring to the MCRD the better b/c it all winds up in a paper bag in an onsite warehouse. They issue you go-fasters (running shoes), mine were some ugly new balance.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:24:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Really good cushioned insoles for his boots - that's what I used to wish for as I was standing at attention on the grinder for hours.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#16]
We ship alot of donated stuff to USMC and US Army serving in Iraq.

Swiss Army knives(medium size) are always well recieved.

the Kabar is a great gift but it's even better IF the sheath has an accesorie pouch filled with...you guessed it a mid size SAK.

You can IM me for specific models IF that helps...
Pete
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:24:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't forget phone cards.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#18]
He won't be able to take anything with him to boot, other than his wallet, its contents, and a pair of running shoes.  Everything else is issued.  

The best thing you can give him is the advise to hit the road and run. Get a varied PT routine in, tough himself (stress fractures are big cause of med hold) by gradually adding the miles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:33:04 AM EDT
[#19]
While he is in boot camp mail him a box of 12 Krispy Kreme jelly filled doughnuts. YUM. Encourage him to share with his Senior Drill Instructor!!!      Charles CWO-3 USMC (ret).  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
While he is in boot camp mail him a box of 12 Krispy Kreme jelly filled doughnuts. YUM. Encourage him to share with his Senior Drill Instructor!!!      Charles CWO-3 USMC (ret).  

, don't forget to include some air force recruiting material.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Pay to get him a big Devil Dog tattoo. Make sure that he shows up with a high and tight, and get him a t-shirt that says "if you absolutly need something destroyed call the MARINES." Make sure he wears the t-shirt when he reports. That way the DIs can identify him as serious, and ready to train. After 4 weeks mail him a big fruitcake, some chocholate, and a pack of smokes. He and his buddys will appreciate the relief from military food.

Seriously just tell him to show up. Everything, including socks, deodorant, underwear......, will be issued. EVERYTHING else will be confiscated, and put into a bag to given back at the end of training.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Two summers ago, I went to Parris Island to see a friend graduate Boot and to give him a ride home for his leave and recruiting duty.  FWIW, it was pretty cool seeing the graduation and PI.

I got him a Surefire M2 and some accessories for graduation.  He said he really appreciated it when he got to SOI and beyond.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been through fairly recently.

Trust me, he won't be able to keep a damn thing.  The only thing he'll be able to keep will be a Bible and/or an address book.

If you know his boot size, go ahead and buy him a pair of Tan Danner Acadias.  The issue boots aren't as good as Danners and they will be fairly worn by the time he graduates basic training.  Give the boots to him when he comes home after graduation.

Other than that, just tell him to stop having expectations, because they will all be wrong.  Everybody tries to imagine what it will be like but they are always very wrong.  It's an experience that you can't possibly imagine unless you've been there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Buy him a book on Marine Corps history and an essential subjects book.

Tell him to memorize the eleven general orders, and tell him to start running everyday now.

If he can get to PI in top physical condition, and learn alot of "knowledge" about the Corps now,
he will sail through boot camp, and have a huge advantage over the average recruit.

If he has decent legible handwriting, and a little artistic talent, tell him to apply as
his platoon scribe. The scribe does alot of the DI's paperwork, and has more knowledge of the training schedule and what is going to happen before anyone else.

The scribe is a good job within the platoon, and it is nice to know what is going to happen ahead of time.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Really good cushioned insoles for his boots - that's what I used to wish for as I was standing at attention on the grinder for hours.  

What he said.  A nice set of gel inserts will do wonders for you when you're on your feet all day.

It'd probably be better if he didn't take them to boot camp with him.  His first 3-5 days there will be at the receiving barracks were he will get his hair cut, fill out paper work, have his initial uniform issue, and do a variety of administrative type things.  His platoon will then be marched over to a separate barracks where he'll meet up with the Drill Instructors that will be with him for the rest of the cycle.  I PROMISE you that within one hour of meeting his Drill Instructors for the first time the contents of his seabag (as well as every other recruit's) will be dumped out in a big pile in the middle of the squadbay while the DI's run around screaming, acting crazy, and generally kicking the recruits gear all over the place.  Then they give them 30 seconds to pick everything up.  When the recruits invariably fail in this task (which they will), seabags will be dumped again and mixed around a second time (and maybe a third or fourth time depending how slow the recruits move).

The point of all this is, you'd do much better to wait until he's been there a week or two and then mail the inserts  to him.  By this point he'll have a foot locker all set up and he'll be able to keep control over his personal gear.

As the others have said, in the mean time have him memorize his general orders inside and out.  Physical fitness is a big thing, so ensure that he's running and doing his pullups/sit-ups in preperation.

ETA And tell him once he does have a footlocker to NEVER, EVER leave it unlocked unless he's within arms reach.  If left unattanded, a drill instructor WILL dump his gear all over the squad bay as a means of motivating recruits to pay attention to detail.    

I always taped my gear into clumps (i.e. tape the spare skivie shirts into one roll, spare underwear into another) and kept all my letters held together with rubber bands.  This way if my gear was ever dumped out it just fell into a couple of piles instead of scattering all over the place.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Surefire flashlight of your choosing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said.  A nice set of gel inserts will do wonders for you when you're on your feet all day.

It'd probably be better if he didn't take them to boot camp with him.  His first 3-5 days there will be at the receiving barracks were he will get his hair cut, fill out paper work, have his initial uniform issue, and do a variety of administrative type things.  His platoon will then be marched over to a separate barracks where he'll meet up with the Drill Instructors that will be with him for the rest of the cycle.  I PROMISE you that within one hour of meeting his Drill Instructors for the first time the contents of his seabag (as well as every other recruit's) will be dumped out in a big pile in the middle of the squadbay while the DI's run around screaming, acting crazy, and generally kicking the recruits gear all over the place.  Then they give them 30 seconds to pick everything up.  When the recruits invariably fail in this task (which they will), seabags will be dumped again and mixed around a second time (and maybe a third or fourth time depending how slow the recruits move).

The point of all this is, you'd do much better to wait until he's been there a week or two and then mail the inserts  to him.  By this point he'll have a foot locker all set up and he'll be able to keep control over his personal gear.

As the others have said, in the mean time have him memorize his general orders inside and out.  Physical fitness is a big thing, so ensure that he's running and doing his pullups/sit-ups in preperation.

ETA And tell him once he does have a footlocker to NEVER, EVER leave it unlocked unless he's within arms reach.  If left unattanded, a drill instructor WILL dump his gear all over the squad bay as a means of motivating recruits to pay attention to detail.    

I always taped my gear into clumps (i.e. tape the spare skivie shirts into one roll, spare underwear into another) and kept all my letters held together with rubber bands.  This way if my gear was ever dumped out it just fell into a couple of piles instead of scattering all over the place.

I will be passing all this on to him. Sounds like pure gold.  I'll give him the books, for sure.  The gel inserts WILL be sent, around week 3.  

When I was in Navy basic back in '80, spare change for the vending machines was worth it's weight in gold. What items would be welcomed at "mail call" in Marine basic training?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Puntang.

Lots and lots and lots of nasty,sweaty and stinky puntang.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will be passing all this on to him. Sounds like pure gold.  I'll give him the books, for sure.  The gel inserts WILL be sent, around week 3.  

When I was in Navy basic back in '80, spare change for the vending machines was worth it's weight in gold. What items would be welcomed at "mail call" in Marine basic training?

Vending machines?  In USMC recruit training?  

ROFLMAO!!!!

The only item welcomed at mail call is mail.  Write him letters.  Do not send him anything related to food unless you send about 75 of whatever it is.  Even if you send enough for the whole platoon, it is highly doubtful that the DI's will let them have whatever it is.  

The only things allowed are clean family pictures.  Anything else is contraband and will be taken away.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The only item welcomed at mail call is mail.  Write him letters.  Do not send him anything related to food unless you send about 75 of whatever it is.  Even if you send enough for the whole platoon, it is highly doubtful that the DI's will let them have whatever it is.  
The only things allowed are clean family pictures.  Anything else is contraband and will be taken away.

And be sure to dose the evelope with perfume and write lots of sweet nothings on the outside.  He will enjoy the letter all the more after a good thrashing.
matthew  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#31]
May have been said already.  

AFTER BOOT

GOOD 3 pt sling.  Velcro wraps arround the handguard and uses the front sling swivel, and also a velcro wrap at the back with a support strap arround the buttstock, also securing throught the sling in the back.

Safariland drop leg holster in coyote tan.  the 6400 series.  Made my deployment much easier.

A personally (spelling) engraved K - Bar.  My 'rents got me one from case in the "traditional" set up, with a leather sheath and blacked out blade.  It had my name and rank engraved on the blade.  I was able to attach said knife to said Safariland 6400 on the belt and buckle the sheath into the holster.  Gave me kinfe and pistol all within rt hand reach.

UNDERARMOUR.  The heat gear briefs and "tactical heat gear shirts."  Without them, my time in Africa would have been full of chafing and ball cheese.

Phone cards.  Your DD is about to see the world.  With a good phone card he can always call you or Susie (it will be Susie, so I hope you know her) and let you know he is OK.  (there are even free phone card programs out there)

A therma rest.   I had mine for 8 mo overseas and it kicked the s**t out of the issued Iso -mat.

+1 surefire or  similar and at least 2 boxes of batts.

Thorloe TM socks, green.  So you can see when said socks need to be tossed...

Not as "cool" but your Marine will get a ton of use out of them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Vending machines?  In USMC recruit training?  

ROFLMAO!!!!

LMAO - That's why I asked. I never claimed to know the first thing about USMC recruit training, but figured that it wasn't anything like USN recruit training.  Prior posters suggested sending gel shoe inserts. Will the DI's let him keep those?

We (his extended family) are laying in postcards and envelopes and such to keep in touch.

Thanks, folks.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Prior posters suggested sending gel shoe inserts. Will the DI's let him keep those?

Yes, hygiene and personal care type gear can be mailed to your recruit.  Don't send anything else unless he asks you for it in a letter.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#34]
A copy of this book -

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#35]
+1 on the insoles and phonecards.  Depending on his current physical state, you may want to get him a gym membership/trainer for the specific purpose of getting him in the best possible shape before going.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top