Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 6:35:17 PM EDT
Interstate Bakeries Corp went tits up.
You fucking make Wonder Bread and you go broke?  

Kind of like the old Helms Bakery delivery trucks from SoCal.

No wonder
2005-12-02
by Cody Ellerd^ah

It's time to revise your definition of the perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich. On Dec. 16, the supply of Wonder Bread to Washington and Oregon will be cut off as Interstate Bakeries Corp., which has filed for bankruptcy protection, closes regional plants in nine states to cut costs.

Mercer Island Albertson's Store Manager John Gillespie said that in addition to losing a beloved bookend for any mayo-drenched meat product, his Jewish customers will be deprived of the only commercial kosher white bread he sells.

``Word is getting around now and some people are concerned,'' he said. At about 40 loaves per day, Wonder is his top-selling bread. The Albertson's bakery still makes its own kosher bread, and sells a Brenner's Bakery kosher rye that Gillespie says is ``good if you want a great pastrami.'' So there are alternatives.

``But just the fact that we all grew up with Wonder Bread as a name, and it's going away -- it's kind of weird,'' Gillespie said.

Interstate Bakeries

Baker to cut 300

jobs in Northwest

Interstate Bakeries said Tuesday it plans to lay off 450 workers, 300 in the Northwest, as it consolidates operations in three regions across the country.

The bankrupt baker of Wonder Bread and Hostess Twinkies said it will cut store clerks, salespeople and delivery people in nine states by the end of the year. Interstate spokeswoman Maya Pagoda would not say how many of the 300 job cuts in its six-state Northwest region would occur in Washington, but she said they were in addition to the previously announced layoff of 200 workers at its Lakewood bakery, now in the process of being closed.

Kansas City, Mo.-based Interstate Bakeries has shut seven bakeries and eliminated more than 4,000 jobs since it filed for bankruptcy in September 2004.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
mismanagement is a bitch
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#3]
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Seriously, that sucks!

KA3B, I grew-up in Pomona and remember those old Helms trucks  I remember my Mom buying things off of them in the late '60's (Big doin's for a 2-3rd grader lol).
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Musta been the unions. Couldn't have been the management..............of course.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#5]
there used to be a wonder bakery here in Richmond, closed about 10yrs ago,

when i was in grade school, we would take field trips to the plant, and they gave out little loaves of bread to us,,,

now they merged with merita in this area, ship the bread in from NC,
Flowers bakery (sunbeam bread) probably has 80% of the market share,,,

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet they're moving to China.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't stand hardly any of the soft mushy mass market bread.

Simply not acceptible for sandwich making, good for making toast maybe.

I either get  rough stone ground wheat or fresh baked italian or french bread.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Musta been the unions. Couldn't have been the management..............of course.

stfu
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought this was going to be a thread of how the libtards pulled the bread because it was "white" and the name had "pride" in it and some people were offended.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

stfu

What? It's ALWAYS the unions fault according to some here. Even if there was not one it's still their fault, or so it seems.

If you can't tell a bit O' tongue in cheek humor, ya need another beer.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't had the stuff in years, but I grew up on Wonder Bread pb&j sammiches.  Great bread but was too expensive here compared to other good brands.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]
We have switched to grinding our own flour.
Useing a Nutri Mill machine and Montana wheat, or popcorn.
Makes the best Bread, corn bread, taco shell, burritos, cakes, cookies ever
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I do overnight stocking for a major grocery store in WA and I didn't even know that.  Hopefully "Bread Man" doesn't work for them, he's a nice guy.

Abe
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:12:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I haven't had the stuff in years, but I grew up on Wonder Bread pb&j sammiches.  Great bread but was too expensive here compared to other good brands.

Good god; you really thought it was great bread?

It was made of wheat, stripped of all nuritional value,
infused with preservatives, and fluffed with air molecules.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I've never bought wonderbread?

When I do get bread, i usually get the "healthy" generic stuff, like rye or whole grain.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Never eaten wonderbread.

Butterkrust 4tw.

It sucks they shut down the factory in Corpus though way back when. Now we have to get our bread shipped in from San Antonio.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:52:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Seriously, that sucks!

KA3B, I grew-up in Pomona and remember those old Helms trucks  I remember my Mom buying things off of them in the late '60's (Big doin's for a 2-3rd grader lol).

Me too. They came by the house in West Covina when I was a kid in the mid 60's. I remember it was kind of exciting for us little kids.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Good god; you really thought it was great bread?
It was made of wheat, stripped of all nuritional value,
infused with preservatives, and fluffed with air molecules.

And your point is?

Millions of Chinese kids didn't eat Wonder Bread PBJ sammichs and look at them now, a big bunch of red commie bastards.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Wasn't Home Pride the one with the "split the top, pour on real butter, ad let it bake right in" ad?

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It could be there is less demand for a product with a nutritional value of zero.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you Dr. Atkins
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I can't stand hardly any of the soft mushy mass market bread.

Simply not acceptible for sandwich making, good for making toast maybe.

I either get  rough stone ground wheat or fresh baked italian or french bread.

I hope you are joeken
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I love wonder bread, damnit!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Wasn't Home Pride the one with the "split the top, pour on real butter, ad let it bake right in" ad?

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:01:22 AM EDT
[#26]
People don't buy "white" bread anymore; in fact, lots of people don't eat bread much at all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

Holy smoke! They were still around?

I haven't heard about them for over 20 years!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm  a Roman Meal type, but it's sad to see an American icon go tits up
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Wonder was bread for people who don't like REAL bread.

Cheap, over-processed junk.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:25:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Years ago, I used to maintain equipment in an automated food processing plant.  Profit margins on a loaf of bread are pretty slim, IIRC.  Those kind of plant closings are nothing new to that industry. Interstate bought up all the regionals years ago, then ran all the equipment into the ground. Then they just close them up, and buy another plant (rather than buy new equipment).

Besides, that wonder bread (sponge bread) crap hit it's peak way back in the late 60's. You can't make any other kind of (real) bread with the equipment that makes "wonder" bread either.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

yup we all know it was the unions fault.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The unions probably played a large part in Interstate bakeries Corp going under.  Bread has been losing sales since Atkins, South Beach, and other diets that lower the amount of carbs came into vogue.  

The unions wouldn't take a pay cut to keep the business afloat, probably.

They priced themselves out of the market.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#33]
The best bread IMO is from one of the Chicago regional convenience stores, White Hen.

But Wonder Bread is something people grew up on...it's a household name.  Don't change it.

This reminds me...they are changing the store Marshall Fields to Macy's...and Marshall Field's started in Chicago and it's a household name for a LOT of people.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top