Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 3:52:22 PM EDT
Does chevy market their cars as toyotas in japan ( or where ever this is? )

www2.famille.ne.jp/~mst-hide/vs/task/task_fpc.html
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
GM owns 20% of Toyota. It is very possible.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, Toyota imported a few hundred Chevy Cavaliers back in the 90's, and attempted to sell them in Japan.

Best guess is that it was some sort of corporate joke.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
GM owns 20% of Toyota. It is very possible.

I seriously doubt this...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
GM owns a piece of GEO/Suzuki.

The GEO Tracker is the same as the Chevy Tracker which is the same as the Suzuki Vatara (or something like that)
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#6]
skyline
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
GM owns a piece of GEO/Suzuki.

The GEO Tracker is the same as the Chevy Tracker which is the same as the Suzuki Vatara (or something like that)

GM just sold their stake in Subaru to Toyota I believe, and for far less than it was worth because of all of their financial problems.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]
GM sells rebadged/restyled Toyotas in the US, so I guess it's possible.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The Chevrolet Prism (previously Geo) hasn't been sold since 2002, when the new Corolla came out.  The only GM product that is mostly Toyota is the Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix).  I can't imagine why anyone in Japan would want a Cavalier.  That was an awful car, even by our standards.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Chevrolet Prism (previously Geo) hasn't been since 2002, when the new Corolla.  The only GM product that is mostly Toyota is the Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix).  I can't imagine why anyone in Japan would want a Cavalier.  That was an awful car, even by our standards.

I had a Pontiac Sunbird (same as Cavalier) in the mid-90's... Got me where I needed to go...

I know now adays, with no money down, 72-month car loans, anything less than a pimped-out Caddy is a 'sucka' car
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
They did that for a while and discontinued it.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Japanese cars sold in Japan sometimes have different names than the same cars sold in other countries. It was actually a common practice until the mid 80's. For example, when I lived in Japan, back in 83 -85 I drove a really sweet 1976 Datsun Fairlady Z. That's Datsun 280 Z to the rest of you gaijin.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Japanese cars sold in Japan sometimes have different names than the same cars sold in other countries. It was actually a common practice until the mid 80's. For example, when I lived in Japan, back in 83 -85 I drove a really sweet 1976 Nissan Fairlady Z. That's Datsun 280 Z to the rest of you gaijin.

I wish they kept the name 'Datsun' here in the US, has a snappier sounding name than 'Nissan' to me...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I wish they kept the name 'Datsun' here in the US, has a snappier sounding name than 'Nissan' to me...

+1.
"Datsun Xterra" sounds weird to me.

"Datsun 350Z" sounds right.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Here ya go:

November 19, 1993: The Chevy Cavalier Becomes the Toyota Cavalier
On this day, Toyota and General Motors signed an historic agreement to sell the Chevy Cavalier in Japan as the Toyota Cavalier. In a sense, the U.S.-built but Japanese-inspired Cavalier was returning home. The popular Cavalier, which was first introduced in 1981, was Detroit's answer to Japan's fuel-efficient and well-made compacts. Japanese automakers had taken the U.S. automobile market by storm during the 1970s, largely due to consumer demand for fuel-efficiency and durability during a time of oil crises and recession. It took a decade for the Big Three to bounce back from the blow, finally gaining ground in the early 1980s with Japanese-inspired compacts like the Chevy Cavalier. The Cavalier was the best-selling Chevy model in modern history, and the top-selling U.S. car in 1984. By the late 1980s, Detroit's relationship with Japanese automakers had stabilized--major Japanese plants opened across the United States and the Japanese government relaxed its tariff laws to allow free competition from American automakers. During the 1990s, cooperation became the rule of thumb, and cars can no longer be considered strictly "Japanese" or "American," as most automobiles today are constructed in any number of countries from parts made all over the world.

The Toyota Cavalier went on sale in Japan in January 1996. The Cavalier was being sold at Toyota dealerships throughout Japan.

Year built         # of cars built
1995                 1,978
1996                 11,701
1997                 12,033
1998                 4,479
1999                 9,289
2000                 1,177

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Here ya go:

members.shaw.ca/toyota_cavalier/images/car0701.jpg

Japanese automakers had taken the U.S. automobile market by storm during the 1970s, largely due to consumer demand for fuel-efficiency and durability during a time of oil crises and recession. It took a decade for the Big Three to bounce back from the blow, finally gaining ground in the early 1980s with Japanese-inspired compacts like the Chevy Cavalier.

Sounds familiar...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The Chevrolet Prism (previously Geo) hasn't been sold since 2002, when the new Corolla came out.  The only GM product that is mostly Toyota is the Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix).  I can't imagine why anyone in Japan would want a Cavalier.  That was an awful car, even by our standards.

built in cali at the New United Motors Manufacturing Inc (NUMMI) plant IIRC,.
toyota built corolla's and prizms side by side,
i think they also made some toyota pickups there to
it's a joint venture plant, between GM and Toyota, i'm not sure but i don't think one owns part of the other,

GM does own opel and saab in europe, holden in Australia, and several other small manufactures IIRC

as far as who owns what, there really isn't a 100% american vehicle out there,
chrysler has merged (or bought by, depending on whay you read) mercedes
ford has an interest in (and shares parts with) mazda, owns jaguar, and several others

eta: even the new saturns are opels,,,,
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I know now adays, with no money down, 72-month car loans, anything less than a pimped-out Caddy is a 'sucka' car

Actually, those who buy cars with no-money-down, 72 month car loans, and the various and sundry lease deals are the "suckas".  So far upside down in depreciation, it's not even funny.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
skyline

Beat me to it...and not those Infinities labled "nissan skyline" either.  Those are nice cars, but I like the real Nissan Skyline...mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top