Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 12:12:53 PM EDT
Done with finals and I am bored.

Saving Private Ryan scenario.  You are in command.

We start as they come across the MG nest guarding the radar station.  What do you do?  Play this out to getting to the town and defending it.

IIRC the squad had a Tompson (you), Carbine(sarge), 03 Sniper, BAR, unarmed medic and 2 guys with garands.

At the town they had something like 2 bazookas and 8 rounds, bunch of explosives, couple of 30 cal's and mortars but no tube.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Armchair comando Yossarian reporting sir...

I propose to have our, sniper and two men with garands grab three separate fox holes approximately 50 feet apart and put constant fire on the machine gunner postion.  The fellas with the thompson, BAR, and carbine will alternate covering fire as they leap frog toward the nest.  Once approximately half the distance is covered, the carbine will grab a hole and begin to lay down covering fire.  Our medic will sit tight and hope no one get hit.

Once the Thompson and BAR are within grenade range they will empty their mags at the bunker then throw two grenades each.  During this time the remainder of the guys will continue suppresing fire.  

If the bunker is not nuetralized, more grenades.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Nuke it from space.
So we loose a few good actors but we kill a few nazis as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Bypass the MG, blow the bridge, and GTFO with Ryan to anywhere but that town.

Doesn't make for a good movie, but does a hell of a lot better job focusing on mission accomplishment.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Bypass the MG nest and focus on completing my mission. Those MG42's were more than capable of cutting down that entire squad had it not been a movie.

In the town I would have blown the bridge, integrated the remainder of the troops from the 101st, and pulled out. Once again, had it not been for the celluloid magic the enemy would have taken that bridge.

On the way back, I would have assaulted the MG nest now that I had the additional troops. Private Ryan would have been tied to a tree about 1/4 mile away with 3 armed guards during the assault on the MG nest.

It should be noted that I have about as much military experience as Dom DeLouise.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Doesn't make for a good movie, but does a hell of a lot better job focusing on mission accomplishment.

Damn you!

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I make the sniper...snipe. Isnt that his job? I'd have him shoot the sights off the MG42. HA! Now that cant aim!
Then he'd shoot the ammo belt. HA! Now that cant shoot!
Then we'd confidently walk up the hill and kill the Nazi's with our shovels.

I WIN!! I WIN!!! HAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I make the sniper...snipe. Isnt that his job? I'd have him shoot the sights off the MG42. HA! Now that cant aim!

Yeah, this dicussion is about like that....it is fun...and beats the hell out of doing the paper I have due at 12pm tonight....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn you!

You're welcome!

ETA:

You in ROTC? We had to do something like this for class, actually.

I say, nothing quite as challenging as a military science class.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd let that fag Matt Damon die.

Sure, he's Pvt. Ryan.
But everytime I'd look at him, I'd say, "That guy looks like that fag Matt damon."
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I would have had my sniper take 'em out or waited and moved around to the flank instead of charging up a hill with little or no cover
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd let that fag Matt Damon die.

Sure, he's Pvt. Ryan.
But everytime I'd look at him, I'd say, "That guy looks like that fag Matt damon."

You sure made the world a better place, F.A.G.

MATT...DAMON.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Nuke it from space.
So we loose a few good actors but we kill a few nazis as well.

I agree. I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I would have flanked them and then hit them from behind.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#14]
In case any infantry guys do wander here, would Sylvan's idea of holding behind the bridge and rubbling the town to stop the mechanized crap have worked with the assets available?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'd also shoot the hands of the gunner...kinda hard to re-link ammo with no hands!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top