Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 10:09:56 AM EDT
General Dynamics Delivers First Production Stryker MGS Vehicles
(Source: General Dynamics; issued Dec. 15, 2005)

STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. --- General Dynamics Land Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics, yesterday delivered the first two of 72 low-rate initial production (LRIP) Stryker Mobile Gun System (MGS) variant vehicles to the U.S. Army at Anniston (Ala.) Army Depot.  

The Stryker MGS variant is a direct-fire infantry assault platform with a 105mm cannon mounted in a low-profile, fully stabilized, “shoot-on-the-move” turret and integrated into the Stryker chassis. It carries 18 rounds of NATO-standard 105mm main gun ammunition; 400 rounds of .50 caliber ammunition; and 3,400 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition. It destroys enemy vehicles, equipment and hardened positions with its bunker and wall-breaching capability.  

The MGS LRIP vehicles will be used for various tests and user evaluations through the fourth quarter of 2007. The Milestone C decision to begin full-rate production of the MGS variant is slated for the fourth quarter of 2007 as well.  

Stryker is a family of eight-wheel-drive combat vehicles that can travel at speeds up to 62 mph on highways, with a range of 312 miles. It operates with the latest C4ISR equipment as well as detectors for nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. In addition to the MGS, Stryker vehicle configurations include: the nuclear, biological and chemical detection vehicle; anti-tank guided missile and medical evacuation vehicles; and carriers for mortars, engineer squads, command groups, and fire-support teams. The Mobile Gun System has more than 70 percent common components with the rest of the 310 Strykers that comprise a brigade combat team, which eases the unit’s training and logistics burden.  

The Army will have six Stryker Brigade Combat Teams by 2008. Stryker is the Army’s highest-priority production combat vehicle program and the centerpiece of the ongoing Army Transformation. Significantly lighter and more transportable than existing tanks and armored vehicles, Stryker fulfills an immediate requirement to equip a strategically deployable (C-17/C-5) and operationally deployable (C-130) brigade capable of rapid movement anywhere on the globe in a combat-ready configuration. Stryker Brigade Combat Teams have operated with “historically high” mission availability rates in Iraq since October 2003, demonstrating the value of a force that can move rapidly as a cohesive and networked combined-arms combat team. (ends)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Dynamics Delivers First Production Stryker NBC Reconnaissance Vehicles
(Source: General Dynamics; issued Dec. 15, 2005)

STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. --- General Dynamics Land Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics, delivered its first two low-rate initial production (LRIP) Stryker Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Reconnaissance Vehicle (NBCRV) variants to the U.S. Army yesterday at Anniston (Ala.) Army Depot.  

General Dynamics will deliver 17 NBCRV variants during low-rate production, through March 2006. The vehicles will be used for various tests and user evaluations through the fourth quarter of 2007. The Army is expected to make the decision to begin full-rate production (called “Milestone C”) of the NBCRV in the fourth quarter of 2007.  

The NBCRV provides the Stryker Brigade Combat Team with the Department of Defense’s newest nuclear, biological and chemical detection equipment on the Stryker chassis. The NBCRV variant locates, marks and reports NBC contamination on the battlefield. It detects and collects contaminated material in the vehicle’s immediate environment on the move through point detection and at a distance with a stand-off detector. It automatically integrates contamination information from detectors with input from on-board navigation and meteorological systems. It also automatically transmits digital NBC warning messages to warn follow-on forces.  

Stryker is a family of eight-wheel-drive combat vehicles that can travel at speeds up to 62 mph on highways, with a range of 312 miles. It operates with the latest C4ISR equipment as well as detectors for nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. In addition to the NBCRV variant, Stryker vehicle configurations include: the Mobile Gun System; medical evacuation and anti-tank guided missile vehicles; and carriers for mortars, engineer squads, command groups and fire-support teams. The vehicles have more than 85 percent common components with the rest of the 310 Strykers in a brigade combat team, which eases the unit’s training and logistics burden.  

Stryker Brigade Combat Teams have operated with “historically high” mission availability rates in Iraq since October 2003, demonstrating the value of a force that can move rapidly as a cohesive and networked combined-arms combat team. The Army will have six Stryker Brigade Combat Teams by 2008. Stryker is the Army’s highest-priority production combat vehicle program and the centerpiece of the ongoing Army Transformation. Significantly lighter and more transportable than existing tanks and armored vehicles, Stryker fulfills an immediate requirement to equip a strategically deployable (C-17/C-5) and operationally deployable (C-130) brigade capable of rapid movement anywhere on the globe in a combat-ready configuration.  

General Dynamics, headquartered in Falls Church, Va., employs approximately 71,900 people worldwide and had 2004 revenue of $19.2 billion. The company is a market leader in mission-critical information systems and technologies; land and expeditionary combat systems, armaments and munitions; shipbuilding and marine systems; and business aviation.  

-ends-  

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Group buy!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It carries.....400 rounds of .50 caliber ammunition; and 3,400 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition.

So does my Chevy S-10 on the way home from the gun show.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats one HELL of a fire....Halo!?!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#4]
look at the size of that muzzle break
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]
FYI the Stryker is going to get a 105mm version of the 120mm cannister round being used by the Abrams. XM1040 is what it's being labeled, I think?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Yummy!!!!!!!!1
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Kick ass!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Woot.
I'm suprised MGS got 72 on LRIP, we had to fight to get 17 on NBCRV's LRIP.

And I love all the publicity photos with the bright red and wood pioneer tools on the outside of the vehicle, they're almost always either lost or stolen when in the field.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I still thik the M-8 would have been the way to go. Morons cancelled it for no conceivable reason..oh wait,Clinton did it...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
FYI the Stryker is going to get a 105mm version of the 120mm cannister round being used by the Abrams. XM1040 is what it's being labeled, I think?

Would have thought there was plenty of 105mm ammo in storage from the M60/M1 days. Beehive, HEP, WP, Smoke.. all those old-fashioned goodies.

MGS took long enough. Hopefully they've worked out the bugs. What genius decided to take a gravity-fed autoloader system and mount it upside down?

NTM
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
MGS took long enough. Hopefully they've worked out the bugs. What genius decided to take a gravity-fed autoloader system and mount it upside down?

NTM

*cough* GDLS *cough*.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#12]
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Somebebody tape a vortex flash hider on this thing!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#15]
So how long until they actually start showing up in the Sand Box newly outfitted with armored slats?

I think the design will be good for what it is intended to do, but I get the feeling that new missions may be thought up on the fly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Notice how the rear wheels dig into the ruts made by the front wheels...this has been a problem for a vehicle thats very overweight
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So how long until they actually start showing up in the Sand Box newly outfitted with armored slats?

I think the design will be good for what it is intended to do, but I get the feeling that new missions may be thought up on the fly.

The missions it will have are already defined, the role is currently being filled by the anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) Stryker at the moment, blasting away with expensive TOW missiles instead of 105mm rounds.

Quoted:
www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/stryker-MGS-offthebeach.jpg
Notice how the rear wheels dig into the ruts made by the front wheels...this has been a problem for a vehicle thats very overweight

I think that might be the fabled publicity photo where the vehicle is actually stuck...

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#18]
for some reason The Pentagon wars comes to mind.

Col. Robert Laurel Smith: That's one hell of a cannon.
Jones: That's the problem.
Col. Robert Laurel Smith: What is?
Jones: You go out on the battlefield with this pecker sticking out of your turret, and the enemy's going to unload on you with everything they got. Might as well put a big red bullseye on the side.
Col. Robert Laurel Smith: But it's a troop carrier, not a tank.
Jones: Do you want me to put a sign on it in fifty languages, "I am a troop carrier, not a tank. Please don't shoot at me?"

Col. Robert Laurel Smith: In summation, what you have before you is...
Sgt. Fanning: A troop transport that can't carry troops, a reconnaissance vehicle that's too conspicuous to do reconnaissance...
Lt. Colonel James Burton: And a quasi-tank that has less armor than a snow-blower, but carries enough ammo to take out half of D.C. THIS is what we're building?

Now it just needs to be amphibious, and have portholes on the sides to the guys inside can shoot out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

18 rounds?  Any serious work takes a little more main gun ammo than that.  They will have to have a little trailer hook up to tow around the rest of their ammo.

Still no solution on getting this onto anything smaller than a Starlifter?  The article doesn't mention it, but this puppy HAS to go on the biggest cargo planes available . . . probably one at a time (maybe two).  See, if that turret doesn't come off then it will not go into a C-130 . . . well, not with some immediate 'modification' of the interior of the plane.

The Stryker is a good vehicle . . . but it is not the vehicle we paid for.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted: 18 rounds?  Any serious work takes a little more main gun ammo than that.  They will have to have a little trailer hook up to tow around the rest of their ammo.
They can kick the infantry out and stow the rounds inside. They can also have the infantry carry some old-school LAW rockets, they're cheaper than a TOW.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
18 rounds?  Any serious work takes a little more main gun ammo than that.  They will have to have a little trailer hook up to tow around the rest of their ammo.

Still no solution on getting this onto anything smaller than a Starlifter?  The article doesn't mention it, but this puppy HAS to go on the biggest cargo planes available . . . probably one at a time (maybe two).  See, if that turret doesn't come off then it will not go into a C-130 . . . well, not with some immediate 'modification' of the interior of the plane.

The Stryker is a good vehicle . . . but it is not the vehicle we paid for.

It fits in a C-130, just the main gun's barrel has to be moved up and down in a specific sequence depending on where the vehicle is on the ramp, due to its length.

Quoted:

Quoted: 18 rounds?  Any serious work takes a little more main gun ammo than that.  They will have to have a little trailer hook up to tow around the rest of their ammo.
They can kick the infantry out and stow the rounds inside. They can also have the infantry carry some old-school LAW rockets, they're cheaper than a TOW.

MGS doesnt carry any dismounts.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#22]
It's definitely going to need another vehicle supplying reloads for the main gun, or a trailer. 18 rounds is not alot of ammo. Best not miss with any of them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn...this sucker is getting to be like the F/A-18 SuperBug!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn't be overly worried about the 18-round capacity of the autoloader. It's one or two rounds more (Depending on version) than an M1 Abrams has available in the ready rack.

I haven't yet had a gander at the interior layout, I wouldn't be surprised to find that it might be possible to store rounds in the hull. Even if there isn't, reloading the thing probably wouldn't take much off the amount of time it would take to move a reload of ammo from the Semi-ready to the ready racks of an Abrams.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I want one  three.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I want one  three.

You know, I think they're street legal.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#27]

W00, i want one too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#28]
sweeeeeeeeet
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Isn't the role supposed to be infantry support anyway?  So the low ammo storage shouldn't be to much of a problem, a platoon of three per company in the last stryker related article I read.  Tow variants are still around for AT work at BN level, no?

Why does this thing have a 50 cal?  I can understant use on light targets to save man gun ammo, but you might as well include it as a coax.  The TC can't even fire to his left at all, and has no gun shield.  I hope he can fire that under armor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Tagged for later
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Isn't the role supposed to be infantry support anyway?  So the low ammo storage shouldn't be to much of a problem, a platoon of three per company in the last stryker related article I read.  Tow variants are still around for AT work at BN level, no?

Why does this thing have a 50 cal?  I can understant use on light targets to save man gun ammo, but you might as well include it as a coax.  The TC can't even fire to his left at all, and has no gun shield.  I hope he can fire that under armor.

The 7.62 is coax, same as on the M1. I bet if they'd had more weight to play with, they would've mounted the remote-controlled .50cal system from the normal Strykers on top of it, but they barely made weight as it is.  I bet the troops come up with gunshields in the field for it anyway.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top