Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 9:19:08 AM EDT
Here is the story on Snopes...

www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp

It seems a guy at work got scammed like this and he his pissed at himself as he thought he knew better.....  All the fraud needs is just the security code and they got you... I assume this means they got the rest of the number from some other source...

I am not so sure I believe the whole story but man is that nutts if it is real....

Just find it funny he could e-mail me a link with this scam that he says was what he went through...  

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#1]
That's why you HANG UP and CALL YOUR CC company yourself.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember one time I was checking on my parents house for them while they were out of town. Capital One had called and left a message saying that there were fishy charges on his card and they wanted to veryify. They gave an 800 number to call.

I though "screw that!", so I went on the computer to Capital One's website and got their number and called them directly. Turns out the message was legit, but I was kind of ticked at Capital One for doing that. Why didn't they just ask people to call the number on the back of their card instead of giving you the number over the phone to call? Seems like they are setting a bad example to their customers on how to avoid fraud.

Anyway, as to the story in the snopes link, yeah, I would never give out any important information to anyone cold calling me no matter who they say they are or how they try and prove it to me. I always tell them that I will call them back.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's why you HANG UP and CALL YOUR CC company yourself.

Yep.  Someone calls asking for my credit card info, or claims to be a "bill collector" and wants some payment, I take down the info and call whoever it deals with DIRECTLY.  

big +1!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top