Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2001 11:01:56 AM EDT
Martial Law will be declared when a Nuclear, Biological, or Chemical terrorist event takes place, in hopes of containing the aftermath.

The question I have is:

[b]What do you plan to do, and what kind of protection will you use.[/b]

This type of event will affect EVERYONE...

All replies welcome...

[url]www.ASOD.org[/url]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't break the law, military or otherwise so I'm not worried about it. As far as protection, I'm married and I don't cheat so I don't need protection. I remember a couple of major terrorist attacks here in the USA and no martial law. Is this something that your hoping for? So you can act out your " I'm gonna shoot somebody to protect my rights" fantasy? You did say ALL replies welcome, right?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Since I work in security at a nuke plant, this question is frequently on the frontal lobe. Number one, don't think that us nuke security types will be enforcing martial law in any way. We are private citizens that have absolutely no authority over you unless you are on company property. Secondly, we are not government employees, we are merely (heavily)  regulated by the government.
That said, I for one will be hauling @$$ for the mountains should anything like the aforementioned ever occur.  I don't get paid enough to sit around and wait for some piled-higher-and-deeper to come around and tell me that it's safe or where to go or what to do etc.
Martial law? Hell, they couldn't get enough people together around this area for martial law to be declared. Everybody in this area would already be in "custody" or have headed for the hills just like me. They have contingincies for such an occurance, but as we all know, those only work in theory.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys....   Do you know who ASOD is?

It's Jade Edwards.  The director of the American School of Defense.   He's no tinfoil hat nut.   He's the "real thing".

I took some of their first responder courses a few years back.  Scared the SHIT out of me.   I never really knew how vulnerable we are.  What really pissed me off is that FEMA, under the Klinton Administration, removed all of the Civil Defense equipment from Police Department and Fire Department facilities around the country.   They stated that there was no longer any use for radiation metering equipment and other response gear or shelter supply equipment since "the cold war was over".

If you ever get the opportunity, take one of ASOD's courses !    Especially if you are LEO or in the Fire Service.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Whoa...I figured the guy was more than a standard Joe by the website, but Jade Edwards? Wow.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[b]What do you plan to do, and what kind of protection will you use.[/b]

This type of event will affect EVERYONE...

All replies welcome...

[url]www.ASOD.org[/url]
View Quote

Situations like this are why we form governments. I figure I'll either be dead from the the attack, or follow the directions of the locally appointed authorities. I could go out any buy gas masks, contamination suits, et. al. but I calculate my chances of needing them as being very small.

Why?

Well, I live in Washington State. Any country that starts flinging nukes is going to pretty well turn us into radioactive sludge (assuming the rain doesn't rust their missles as they fall through the clouds). And I work and live within about a 10 mile radius of the Bangor submarine base. I'll be glowing in the dark!

As for biological, etc. threats they will most likely be contained to small areas (eg. New York City) and not effect the populance as a whole. Again, if they hit near me -- I'm dead.

So I don't worry about it too much. I'm more concerned with the badguy who wan't my hard earned money, or the government that wants my hard earned money to waste on social programs instead of defense.

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
For answers to those events I will contact my
Sheriff, Emergency Preparedness Center, and
County Health Office to see what their plans for us are. I would suggest you do the same and we can prepare notes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey HANGFIRE..     Make sure to give 'em your SS# and list of firearms just in case they need any.  

[:D]

I am sending my inventory list over to FEMA this afternoon.    They will come and protect me !
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As for biological, etc. threats they will most likely be contained to small areas (eg. New York City) and not effect the populance as a whole. Again, if they hit near me -- I'm dead.
View Quote

Biological agents that don't act quickly would not be contained to small areas.  If there was an outbreak in NYC, how long do you think it would take before it was recognized, and how many people would have come and gone from the city since then?  Planes are an efficient means of travel and a potential source of distribution of easily communicable diseases.  Once word got out that there was a problem, everyone who felt fine would be looking to get out of the area, creating another potential contamination vector.  Biological agents are desireable because they can cause so much damage at such little cost.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Biological agents that don't act quickly would not be contained to small areas.
View Quote

Eh, you'd think that, wouldn't ya.

The problem is, the bugs that spread easily tend not to be the deadly ones -- because if they were deadly and spread easily, we would have ceased to exist due to natural outbreaks.  Our bodies have natural barriers to the deadly ones -- for most of us, anyway.

Of course, with genetic engineering, that goes out the window, but IMO we aren't quite far enough advanced to alter bugs into serious weapons.  Most of the biowarfare nonsense has been of the "we're going to keep our smallpox stockpile just in case we need it" or the "let's soak these bugs with antibiotics until they're hardened against the existing drugs" varieties.

[hijack]
This is one of several reasons why research into new antibiotics is so crucial to our survival.  Or, really, if you look at it right, there's only one reason with multiple facets -- the bugs are doing the same job, only at a slower pace than a biowarfare lab does it.

We need new antibiotics, especially new families of antibiotics (not just improvements on  the old drugs), and we need a better understanding of resistance mechanisms so we can work around them.
[/hijack]

Of course, some people are doing research on creating serious genie'd bioweapons.  A double-edged sword.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I live outside NYC so If they target that garbage dump I will not survive. NYC is one of the most likely targets of terrorists anyway. Hey,I am just a speck on lifes a$$ so no one will miss me. I don't think of these things at all. I guess some people have to much time on their hands. I come home to tired to think of this. When my day is over I need to relax. Not think of this.

I get the impression that there are a lot of younger people on this board.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll have to agree with Lougotzz on this.  Got enough worries then to bother with  martial law due to the above listed causes.  I just hope I am not at work or I will be in the middle of the medical alert system in L.A. county due to my working at the main hospital for the area.  I do keep supplies for an earthquake but thats it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Watch it all on the TV.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#13]
What really pissed me off is that FEMA, under the Klinton Administration, removed all of the Civil Defense equipment from Police Department and Fire Department facilities around the country. They stated that there was no longer any use for radiation metering equipment and other response gear or shelter supply equipment since "the cold war was over".
View Quote

That's funny, I worked on quotations for man portable containers for hauling portable DECON tents into city centers about 1 1/2 years ago.  The FEMA boys realized that in an actual event all the roads would be jammed and they would have to roll their equipment in by hand.

I've been working on and off on cases for radiation and chemical sensors for years.

There's still folks looking at emergency response.

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#15]
A terrorist attack that takes out tens of thousands of lives and disrupts the govt both local and federal, causes a partial collapse of the economy and severely strain the resources of both civilian and military sectors, the military would want to ease the job of containing the situation and keeping peace and order, that it will strongly recommend a nation wide declaration of martial law. This thing has never happened before thats why its hard to imagine.  

Sukebe: Nobody is hoping for it. Its a scenario that may or may not happen, but if it does, Jake is inquiring how people have prepared for such an event. And also to open the eyes of those who are not aware.

Now, to reply to Jake's questions.

What do you plan to do:

In a true martial law situation, the govt will impose firearms confiscation. Because those who will enforce it may have orders to shoot any resisters, then the most prudent tactic is to avoid contact with govt forces or other civilians who would report on you. That means total reliance on yourselves and not ask for any assistance.

What kind of protection will you use:

An NBC suit will offer some protection. It may not prevent you from eventually being killed by the biochemical agents or the fallout, but it will give you a fighting chance to seek better refuge, fight off the hordes of other refugees,
or wait out the worse of the aftermath, when law and order has been finally established.

The key word is "fighting chance".

Another point: the biggest reason why the economy may collapse is the uncertainty as to who perpetrated the attack, how the govt will respond, and when, where and how much worse will the next attack occur.

Good questions, Jake.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top