Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 5:05:07 PM EDT
I was sitting in my tree stand the other day and was thinking about this. Single issue voting is kind of what I'm getting at. Just curious, although not a likely scenario on the national level it certainly wouldn't be impossible. Say for instance you had a Bill Richardson running against a McCain, Giuliani,  or Romney type for President. Would the NRA endorse a Democrat like Richardson (who has been somewhat gun friendly as NM governor) over someone like McCain who the NRA hates with a passion ?

Would you vote for a Republican knowing they would lobby for and sign most anti-gun legislation into law ? I wouldn't.

If a Democrat got endorsed by the NRA over a gun unfriendly Republican for their stances would you consider voting for the Democrat if they said it was a state rights issue or we already had enough laws on the books ? I would.

Or would you just say screw it and go third party ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I would vote for the pro-gun Democrat.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I vote Libertarian or Constitution party whenever possible.  Republicans are just Democrat "lite".
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's for president, I go with the pro-gun candidate.

If it's for congress, I go with the pro-gun candidate.

If it's for governor, I go with the pro-gun candidate.

If it's for mayor, I go with the pro-gun candidate.

If it's for dogcatcher, I go with the pro-gun candidate.

Any questions?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If the republicans put an anti-gun candidate in place, they deserve what they get. Are you listening John McCain ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Any questions?

+1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I always vote for the candidate and the issues, and not the party.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I vote the candidate and issues.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#9]
It would depend on what the Republican's positions were on:

National Security and the War on Terror
Immigration Policy
Government Spending
The Economy and Tax Reduction
Judicial Appointments
etc

I'm not a one-issue voter

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I vote issues.
Gun control is the most important issue to me.
If the candiate does not trust me with a weapon, than why should I trust him with the powers of government?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+3

A few days ago I got a call from the RNC.
I was asked on a scale of five, one being the least likely and five the most likely, what would I say the chances are that I would support the Republicans in the next election.  I told her Three without pausing.  She started to hang up on me instantly.  Hey honey, do you really want to know why I think so low of the Republicans?  Do you really want to know why I want to vote for a Democrat ever so often?

I’ll take a pro-gun democrat over the Guvinator any day.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I would vote for the more conservative candidate in my view,starting with there stance on the second amendment.I would vote for Bill Richardson over douchbag guliani or turd samwhich mccain.Although he served in bubbas administration,IMHO satans stench hasnt touched him.Rather him than Hitlery.Man the thought of Pres 666 Hitlery makes the old bunghole tighten up a little,dosnt it
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't vote Party... It might just seem that way because no Democrats in my area have ever done anything but suck.

If it were a pro-gun Dem, I'd vote Dem. I'd feel strange, but I'd do it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Any questions?

+1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#16]
It's naive to say "I would vote for a pro-gun Democrat."  Democrats re-invent themselves and will ultimately support the positions of their kooky base.  They can't be trusted.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#18]
What if voting for that pro-gun Democrat resulted in the loss of the majority in the House/Senate?  Then the repeal of the '86 ban, Nationwide CCW, and a host of other legislation you'd love to see gets killed in Committee because the Democrats have the chairmanships.

There are only two words that can describe why the AWB was never put on the floor last year .

TOM DELAY
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Any questions?

Yea - what hea said.

....and no, no questions.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I vote Libertarian or Constitution party whenever possible.  Republicans are just Democrat "lite".

Esp. in Massachusetts. Repubs here would be considered Dems anywhere else.

However, my state rep, Harold "Skip" Naughton, is a progun Democrat, who enlisted in the Army after 9/11 and is stationed in Baghdad.

Our Repub. governor, Mitt Romney, is not exactly progun, despite being a Mormon, who traditionally have been pro-self defense. Mitt supports the MA Assault Weapons ban. My Dem. rep. does not. Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#21]
There are other issues than Guns. Your guns are not going away any time soon (not in the next four years anyway). Not to mention congress is where the real power is.

Very little chance I would vote democrat for president or congress (based on gun rights alone). I am not a single issue voter.

You people are lemmings.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What if voting for that pro-gun Democrat resulted in the loss of the majority in the House/Senate?  Then the repeal of the '86 ban, Nationwide CCW, and a host of other legislation you'd love to see gets killed in Committee because the Democrats have the chairmanships.

There are only two words that can describe why the AWB was never put on the floor last year .

TOM DELAY

Fella, I'm not going to vote for a guy who wants to take away my right to bear armsjust because he is a Republican, especially when his opponent is an ally of the 2nd Amendment.

If everybody voted for the pro-gun candidate we wouldn't have to worry about WHO was in charge anymore. I'm going to do my part (in voting for the pro-gun candidate), I'm not going to simply vote Republican because other districts may not.

It's time to reward the people worth rewarding and shit-canning those who need to be shitcanned.

Party be damned.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

TOM DELAY

Are you expecting these bubba rednecks "dont touch my gun" types to understand reason?

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Vote for the pro-gun party, not the pro-gun person. Or at least the less anti-gun party...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TOM DELAY

Fella, I'm not going to vote for a guy who wants to take away my right to bear armsjust because he is a Republican, especially when his opponent is an ally of the 2nd Amendment.

If everybody voted for the pro-gun candidate we wouldn't have to worry about WHO was in charge anymore. I'm going to do my part (in voting for the pro-gun candidate), I'm not going to simply vote Republican because other districts may not.

It's time to reward the people worth rewarding and shit-canning those who need to be shitcanned.

Party be damned.

Well, what if voting for that ONE guy who wants to take away your right to bear arms ensured that the PARTY that stood for defending those same rights remained in control of the legislation that will guarantee those rights.  Would it not then be a worthwhile sacrifice?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Dems will switch their beliefs when they get to a national level, I don't care how pro-gun they are on a state level.

Get this straight, They CANNOT get funding for any national office if they are pro-gun.
This is almost without exception. If there are pro-gun Dems on a national level, they are getting thier funding from local sources only.

Dick Durbin was a HUGE pro-lifer until he got elected to national office. After a trip to Washington he suddenly had a change of heart.
Republicans are allowed to have more personal opinions than Dems.

So, just realise, that your pro-gun Dem. will turn on you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

yep
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any questions?

+1

+P+
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't vote for anyone that is anti-gun, period.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Well in 2003 a democrate with a rather high NRA rating in Wsconsin cost us CCW. He co-sponsored the bill and before that he had voted in favor of damn near every pro gun bill and against every anti-gin bill. But when we needed him the most,  to override the govenors veto he turned his back on us. This year he voted against the PPA......

"pro-gun" dems, no matter how high thier NRA rating or how pro gun they seem to be they are still dirty rotten Dems and nothing more.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Any questions?

+1ty billion
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Dems will switch their beliefs when they get to a national level, I don't care how pro-gun they are on a state level.

Get this straight, They CANNOT get funding for any national office if they are pro-gun.
This is almost without exception. If there are pro-gun Dems on a national level, they are getting thier funding from local sources only.

Dick Durbin was a HUGE pro-lifer until he got elected to national office. After a trip to Washington he suddenly had a change of heart.
Republicans are allowed to have more personal opinions than Dems.

So, just realise, that your pro-gun Dem. will turn on you.

See also Wisconsin Assemblyman Gary Sherman.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I would probably hold my nose and vote for a third party candidate, as I would probably do if the '04 elections were held all over again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Ok, to you and everyone else who is voting for the pro-gun candidate I'm only gooing to say this once.

All the threads on here talking about lying liberals, all the liberal-spun news coverage, and all of the anti-gun Dems that fill up the rest of the party, how could any of you buy into this one. It would be such an obvious lie... and since the president still bends to the party's will, well, do the math.

Oh wait.... Kerry was "pro-gun"... and Bush said he would sign a new AWB if it landed on his desk. Who'd you vote for?

or maybe I'm way off.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow this looks like a republican forum....LOL
I am independant so I would vote democrat that time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Any questions?

Plus +1
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:18:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Well, what if voting for that ONE guy who wants to take away your right to bear arms ensured that the PARTY that stood for defending those same rights remained in control of the legislation that will guarantee those rights.  Would it not then be a worthwhile sacrifice?

Dude, EVERY one in EVERY congressional district is in the same boat here. It's not like we all have an "Early Elections Return" crystal ball where we can see how many Republicans are winning in all of the 435 districts. There's NO WAY to tell that the race in *your* district might be *the one* race that turns the tide.

Again, I'm NOT going to vote for a Republican who has sworn to take away my right to bear arms...because of what happens in other districts across the country. If BOTH of the candidates in my district are anti-gun, then I vote for the Republican by default (because one of the two is going to win anyway). If the Democrat is pro-gun, however (and the Republican is anti-gun), the Democrat gets my vote.

If we all voted for the pro-gun guy, it would not matter who was in the majority.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top