Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 4:51:23 PM EDT
"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going  to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20."

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2000 will only buy a used one."

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack  is ridiculous."

"Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to  mail a letter?"

"If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside  help at the store."

"When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."

"Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make it impossible to  stay groomed. Next  thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls."

"I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let  Clark Gable get by with saying 'damn' in 'Gone With The Wind,' it seems  every new  movie has either "hell" or "damn" in it.

"I read the other day where some scientist thinks  it's possible to put a  man on the moon by the end of the century   They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas."

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000  a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be  making more than the president."

"I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters  now."

"It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women  are having to work to make ends meet."

"It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone  to watch their kids so they can both work."

"Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more; those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat."

"I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."

"Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to congress."

"The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously  doubt they will ever catch on."

"There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."

"No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a  day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."

"If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut,  forget it."
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the 50's were the last of the age of somewhat innocence for the USA.  Looking back from 2006, they seem like nice times.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't 2 grand a little high for a car in the '50s?  I remember when the Maverick came out in the '60s, and you could pick one up for 1995, new.  

Oh, and I remember 29 cent gas in the 70's too.  Actually during one of the frequent gas wars, it went as low as 26 cents.  When I got my first car, I could fill it up for a little over 3 bucks.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I don't know about 1955 but I know it will never be that good again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think the 50's were the last of the age of somewhat innocence for the USA.  Looking back from 2006, they seem like nice times.

I don't know where you are, but it's 2005 here............

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, I don't know about 1955 but I know it will never be that good again.

It will be if we destroy the rest of the world's industrial base, forcing them to buy from us.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I completely agree. Everything was better in the 50's. Who cares about comfortable clothes and shoes, safe, reliable cars, massively advanced medical care and drugs, not to mention the tremendously increased pace of scientific advancement and the connection to most other people on the planet through computers that can fit in a palm or a lap, et cetera, et cetera, I want my gas to be $0.29 a gallon!

I want the threat of the Soviet Union's 10,000 nuclear warheads hanging over my head.

I want cars that put out more emissions than Mt. St. Helens, and that are rated in gallons per mile.

I want to be completely unable to treat cancer, and I want doctors to be recommending that I smoke. Everybody knows that tar is good for you.

I want to live in a society that mocks and shames anybody who does not conform to the clean-clipped, suit-and-tie, I-sure-love-Jesus-and-apple-pie, God-Bless-America-you-commie-fag culture.

I want pens that leak and typewriters that jam.

I want to have to do math with a slide rule and a pencil, to take hours to do two-dimensional momentum problem.

I want airplanes that fail and that cost a month's salary to ride. I want to looking forward to maybe, one day, if I get lucky and have a couple weeks vacation, to maybe go and visit someplace where water gurgles out of the ground, and to have this be the highlight of my life.

I want to turn back the clock on every convenience of modern living, because I can't wrap my ancient brain around the concept of inflation. Don't you?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I completely agree. Everything was better in the 50's. Who cares about comfortable clothes and shoes,

What the hell are you talking about?

With the exception of extreme cold weather stuff and mountaineering gear, give me clothing from pre-1964 any day of the week.

Worsted and flannel wool, cotton, tweed, merino wool and cashmere.  Real leather shoes with Goodyear welts and leather soles which can be resoled and will last a decade vs the cheap cloth 'sneakers' everyone seems to wear now.  What the hell is 'sneaking' anyway?  A canvas coat a-la Carhart or waxed cotton like Filson or Barbour.   Solid chinos and Levis 501s.  

Or maybe you're a big polyester fan
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#9]

I want to live in a society that mocks and shames anybody who does not conform to the clean-clipped, suit-and-tie, I-sure-love-Jesus-and-apple-pie, God-Bless-America-you-commie-fag culture.

Fucking hippie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top