Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 3:26:32 PM EDT
what is the deal with boots that have side zippers?  is it a cool thing?
i thought they unzipped so you would not have to fool with the laces.  i tried on a pair fo bates ultralights (damn they are comfortable)   and not only do i have to unzip them but also unlace them.  it takes twice as long.  

so what's the scoop?

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Zippers are cool!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
They were on the best cold weather half-boots I ever owned.

I miss them boots; I just wore them out they were so comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Tey are nice for fast reaction EMT/ firemen  ect. I use em for casual wear, but would rather have a tighter fit than a zipper boot gives me for field use.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tey are nice for fast reaction EMT/ firemen  ect. I use em for casual wear, but would rather have a tighter fit than a zipper boot gives me for field use.

+1 loved them until I switched to my Red Wing engineer boots
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i thought they unzipped so you would not have to fool with the laces.  i tried on a pair fo bates ultralights (damn they are comfortable)   and not only do i have to unzip them but also unlace them.  it takes twice as long.  

so what's the scoop?

You have to break them in, then they work fine.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Zippers are cool not water proof!

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh Sorry thought somone was talking to me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

so what's the scoop?

Shouldn't have to...you might have them laced too tight, or you're not unzipping them down far enough.

I've got a pair of the bates Ultra Lites in side zip and another pair of Bates waterproof safety toe side zip boots.  I think they're the TPR or TRP or whatever...bought them a couple years ago, I really like them esp. good for winter.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been wearing bates side zips for almost 4 years now for work and I love them. They are not meant to be laced as tight as combat boots since they are more designed for the EMT and Fire that need to put them on and take them off in a hurry in my case put them on as an EMS sofa jockey.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've been wearing bates side zips for almost 4 years now for work and I love them. They are not meant to be laced as tight as combat boots since they are more designed for the EMT and Fire that need to put them on and take them off in a hurry in my case put them on as an EMS sofa jockey.

got ya.
thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

got ya.
thanks

Exactly.

I never wore them until last year, thinking they would be too loose. I picked up a pair of Danner side zips at a good price and they are freakin' fantastic The zipper closes the boot nice and tight, and you leave the laces alone. Heck, my laces have dust in them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't stand boots with zippers. To each their own though, right?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll fit right in with them when you go dancing at the Blue Oyster.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Growing up in the '70s, I had a pair of zip up the side boots. Sort of what Elvis or Saddam Hussien would wear.  

Guess that's not the kind of boots we're talking about here.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so what's the scoop?

You have to break them in, then they work fine.

Yup, mine are comfy....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top