Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2005 2:38:32 PM EDT
My dad was talking to the neighbor today and the neighbor said that a friend of his killed a lynx (keep in mind this is western Virginia) while deer hunting.  The taxidermist was the one who said it was a lynx (it weighed in @ 44#)  I say it was just a big bobcat and I can't belive that an animal that is so rare, even in its normal range some how made it to Virginia.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Any way you can get a picture?  It shouldn't be difficult to make a positive ID.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If this guy isnt able to distinguish a deer from a cat he really should not be handling a firearm.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Lynx = bobcat = lynx
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Lynx = bobcat = lynx

That sounds about right.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Lynx = bobcat = lynx

Not true they are two seperate species.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lynx = bobcat = lynx

Not true they are two seperate species.

I think, well hope, he meant that this was probably a bobcat.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Lynx and bobcat do not look the same.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You should click that link above your post if you think that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it, I know it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Lynx = bobcat = lynx

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do have a difference in action and movement, but until you have seen both it could be tough to distinguish the difference.  Lynx tend to be alot more call shy, though a Bob is one of the toughest things I have ever called in.

They are a different species, and you will get your ass handed to you when you take the pelt in to get it tagged if you mess up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Just as a side note I have an awesome, huge picture of a Lynx Canadensis on my wall here in my office.

Lynk
Endangered Status: Listed as endangered in the United States

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Bobcat is a species of lynx. Lynx is actually a genus, not a species.

canadian lynx is lynx canadensis

bobcat is lynx rufus

So technically both of you are right, it IS a lynx, and it IS a bobcat.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just as a side note I have an awesome, huge picture of a Lynx Canadensis on my wall here in my office.

Lynk

www.nwf.org/wildlife/images/photo_lynx1.jpg

That's a great pic.

It really shows those disportionate sized feet.

Oh yeah........looks NOTHING like a bobcat for sure.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

bobcat is lynx rufus

Yeah I know that Lynx is the genus, for the sake of arguement we are talking about a canadian lynx.

I have seen a lot of bobcats.  They all have looked different.  I have seen some that are completely gray and look like a big tabby cat and others were tan with some spots.

I just doubt that a canadian lynx was able to find its way 1,500 miles out of its habitat range and get shot by a hunter.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

bobcat is lynx rufus

But people are using common names, not Latin/scientific names.  They are two different critters known as "lynx" and "bobcat".  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lynk

www.nwf.org/wildlife/images/photo_lynx1.jpg

That's a great pic.

It really shows those disportionate sized feet.

Oh yeah........looks NOTHING like a bobcat for sure.

Bobcat w/ snowshoes!

Here's a bobcat:
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#22]
When I lived in MT every other Saturday this guy would bring his pet lynx cub into the gunshop.
HUGE feet. This is an amazing predator and it was just a baby. I was scared of that kitty.
Beautiful fur. Had it on leash too
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would love to have a bobcat.

Let me know how that works out..........
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have a bobcat I killed with my bow at the taxidermist right now.

I haven't seen it but my buddy carried a hog over there this week and he told me it looked awesome. They are almost finished with it, I can't wait. It will go on my office wall.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Okay I will admit that I have never seen a lynx in the wild. I've seen a few bobcats and a couple of mountain lions.

The lynx's(?) that I have seen were all in captivity. But they appeared to be distinctly different from any bobcat that I have ever seen. The big things were the ears and those enormous feet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Can large cats and domestic cats have kittens the way dogs and domestic dogs can have puppies?

ALCs (Asian Leopard Cats) can breed with domestic house cats to produce Bengals.
My vets have all said my cat is a Bengal which is weird because he was a feral stray.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't seen it but my buddy carried a hog over there this week and he told me it looked awesome. They are almost finished with it, I can't wait. It will go on my office wall.

I'll stick with pictures.  I don't kill unless it's something I'm going to eat or it’s a danger to me or someone I'm responsible for.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Can large cats and domestic cats have kittens the way dogs and domestic dogs can have puppies?

Some can. The savannah cats are the result of breeding  an african serval to a domestic cat. Bengal cats are domestics bred with an asian leopard cat. Safari cats are south american Geoffrey's cat hybrids.

So yes, at least some wild cats can breed with domestic animals.

There is a myth about maine coons being the result of normal cats being bred with bobcats, but there is no evidence of that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I bet it was the missing lynx all those evolutionists are talking about.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll stick with pictures.  I don't kill unless it's something I'm going to eat or it’s a danger to me or someone I'm responsible for.

I will kill a coyote or bobcat anyday of the week. If I get either with my bow......it is a full body mount.

PS predator control is a well established wildlife management tool.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will kill a coyote or bobcat anyday of the week. If I get either with my bow......it is a full body mount.

Hunting bobcats and coyotes is fun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd love to have a bobcat on my wall.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have killed four coyotes so far this year, haven't even put a dent in them. In my opinion one can't kill enough coyotes to hurt their numbers. Haven't spotted any bobcats yet this season, we killed 3 last year.  It takes them longer to come back but they will eventually.

ETA: I like pictures also IAM

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yeah, that too.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I can believe that.

When we lived in South Florida I came home from work one day and my wife (a transplant from Illinois and didn't know anything about Florida wildlife) told me a VERY odd tale:  

We lived on the edge of the Everglades in Western Broward County.  She was out walking our Yellow Lab one afternoon when the dog went on "alert".  The hair on her back went up, she started pulling at her leash, and went berzerk.  My wife looked over and saw what she described as a very large, yellow "cat", like 60lbs, looking back and then darting into the scrub.  This scrub ran East/West, along a canal, under the Sawgrass Expressway into the wetlands.  I heard her story and concluded that it sounded like a Florida Panther but I know that there are only about 50-60 left in existance and there was no way that she really saw one.  But I pressed her and from her description I had no reason to doubt her.  She had no pre-conceived notions as to what she was viewing.  She was totally serious and was totally ignorant as the significance of what she saw.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt, I called up the FWC and reported what she saw.  The guy taking the report totally blew me off on the phone.  But less than a week later a 10 foot high chain link fence was erected around the canal and surrounding scrub....all the way to and under the Expressway.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I can believe that.

When we lived in South Florida I came home from work one day and my wife (a transplant from Illinois and didn't know anything about Florida wildlife) told me a VERY odd tale:  

We lived on the edge of the Everglades in Western Broward County.  She was out walking our Yellow Lab one afternoon when the dog went on "alert".  The hair on her back went up, she started pulling at her leash, and went berzerk.  My wife looked over and saw what she described as a very large, yellow "cat", like 60lbs, looking back and then darting into the scrub.  This scrub ran East/West, along a canal, under the Sawgrass Expressway into the wetlands.  I heard her story and concluded that it sounded like a Florida Panther but I know that there are only about 50-60 left in existance and there was no way that she really saw one.  But I pressed her and from her description I had no reason to doubt her.  She had no pre-conceived notions as to what she was viewing.  She was totally serious and was totally ignorant as the significance of what she saw.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt, I called up the FWC and reported what she saw.  The guy taking the report totally blew me off on the phone.  But less than a week later a 10 foot high chain link fence was erected around the canal and surrounding scrub....all the way to and under the Expressway.

Yeah but that is different, you actually live in within the geographic range of the Florida panther.  Having a lynx in Virginia 1,500 miles outside of its natural range is harder to swallow.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can believe that.

Yeah but that is different, you actually live in within the geographic range of the Florida panther.  Having a lynx in Virginia 1,500 miles outside of its natural range is harder to swallow.

I've heard a lot stranger tales.  It was Coral Springs, a city of 120K, and from what read the FL Panther are concentrated farther south by like 60 miles in the Everglades National Park.  My wife is totally ignorant about the Flora and Fuana of Florida but from what she described... it freaked me out.  I have no reason not to believe her.

BTW, how's the "lacka dippy" going?  I'm doing pretty good.  70 hours without any significant body count. At this time 3 days ago I would be conversing with you with a huge dip in my mouth
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can believe that.

I've heard a lot stranger tales.  It was Coral Springs, a city of 120K, and from what read the FL Panther are concentrated farther south by like 60 miles in the Everglades National Park.  My wife is totally ignorant about the Flora and Fuana of Florida but from what she described... it freaked me out.  I have no reason not to believe her.

BTW, how's the "lacka dippy" going?  I'm doing pretty good.  70 hours without any significant body count. At this time 3 days ago I would be conversing with you with a huge dip in my mouth

Hanging in there still have irritablity problems though.  It has now been a week. Keep it up man!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hanging in there still have irritablity problems though.  It has now been a week. Keep it up man!

Me too.  I told my wife I've got "support group" here on ARFCOM.  I really want to break this habit.  My temper is quite short also..... I could only take about an hour of Christmas shopping tonight before I bailed and came home.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.  I told my wife I've got "support group" here on ARFCOM.  I really want to break this habit.  My temper is quite short also..... I could only take about an hour of Christmas shopping tonight before I bailed and came home.

Ouch!  I wouldn't go Christmas shopping, I would end up killing someone J/K

One guy at work was yacking and yacking, I was tempted to ask him if he ever shuts up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I wouldn't go Christmas shopping, I would end up killing someone J/K

One guy at work was yacking and yacking, I was tempted to ask him if he ever shuts up.

I only carried my back-up tonight  - my S&W 469 in the ankle holster... not easily accessable as some of the other firearms I usually carry so I was OK.

Every hour it is getting easier.  I do have to confess I've bummed a few cigs from my wife in the past 2 days
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Where this this go???
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it, I know it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know how that works out..........

My grandfather said that if you get them young, they domesticate fairly well.
A guy up around Fairbanks got in trouble for having one a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:36:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I can believe that.

The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago in C FL.  I came out of work about 11 pm, saw what looked like a medium sized lab walking under the street light.  The thing that caught my eye was its un dog like walk, and the huge tail.  The tail was like the velvet rope they use in movie theaters, and very long.  Then I realized this was a wild cat.  Right about then it saw me and froze.  Our eyes locked for about 5 seconds.  It was a very impressive beast, and about 50 feet away.  Sent a shiver down my spine, that he could have had me for lunch, and I dont know what I could have done about it.

After the 5 seconds were up, he just took off into the woods on the edge of the lot.  A real treat to see such a fine cat up close like that.  Doubt I'll ever forget it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Call me a prick but to kill something that is underpopulated isn't hunting. It being a total prick.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:02:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Call me a prick but to kill something that is underpopulated isn't hunting. It being a total prick.

He thought it was a bobcat (plentiful around here) taxidermist says lynx (endangered).
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:29:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He thought it was a bobcat (plentiful around here) taxidermist says lynx (endangered).

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#50]
well if it was a "Lynx" ide say he is going to get his ass put in a sling if the authorities find out... he sounds like the typical, "idiot in the woods with a gun", non-hunter that doesnt know how to identify wildlife..

on another note of this thread... I had a pet bobcat a few years ago, named him Shorty... I got him when he was only a few weeks old, he was just barely a hand full... in 2 years he weighed in at just over 40lbs... he was allot of fun... especially when I had visitors, people that had not seen him before were ussually a little aprehensive about him at first, until they saw how calm he was... he was very affectionate and loved to have his belly rubbed...

he got sick and I had to let him go... he was allot of fun tho, allot of great memories...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top