Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So whats money laundering?

Yes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you just watch office space?

To conceal the source of money of course!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Distributing illicit earnings through a number of quasi-legitimate operations to make it appear as the the revenue was generated via legal means.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No I didn't watch office space.

But how do you conceal the source of money?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ask a coke dealer!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With whiteout of course!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
As those before me have said, it is difficult to use lots of currency to buy, say, a house without proving the money was gotten through legitimate gains.  the more money, the bigger the problem, example, drug dealers in Miami in the '80s.  Duffel bags full of cash, the feds get wise and clamp down on deposits over 10K cash.

Launderer "washes" the money, transfers it though ever more legitimate accounts and businesess, and suddnely it's "clean."
Now the money can be used.

Of course, there is a fee for the service.

For low amounts, places like restaraunts will work becasue they are a cash business to some extent, but for larger amounts, well, trade secret.      
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
When I do it I use a Whirlpool.

Pisses me off too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say I have $25,000 that I just got from a back-room poker game. Since my last name ends in a vowel, I don't want to declare this on my taxes as income. So, instead of taking the money, I give it to my brother-in-law, who runs a printing company. He uses it to "buy" a new printing press that doesn't actually exist from his cousin for $24,000. The cousin pays his wife's uncle, who is a "printing press importer," $23,000 for handling the mythical printing press. The uncle pays my other brother-in-law $22,000. He's a freight forwarder. My brother-in-law pays me, a shipping consultant, $2,000 as a commission on the printing press deal, and makes a $19,000 donation to the "Our Lady of Perpetual Motion Ladies' Auxiliary," a 501c3 not-for-profit group run by my wife. The Auxiliary uses $18,000 to put a new roof on the church Rectory. My nephew is a roofer. He gets 4 "undocumented workers" to re-roof the rectory with stolen materials and keeps $1,000. I get the remaining $18,000 in cash, which was actually reported as paid in wages by the nephew. He didn't really, and he doesn't care anyway, since it's the 15th company he's bankrupted this year. That's what he does.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The basic technique is just to shift it from one company or account to another until it is no longer apparent that you had a suitcase full of cash from illegal activities.

Such as, you give it to a friend who owns a company. He reports it as income to the company and then pays you a salary. You get a check that you can deposit in your bank (hopefully) without arousing the suspicion of any law enforcement agencies looking for coke dealers with suitcases full of cash.

Or something like that, with any number of bank accounts and companies in the mix. The economy of Panama and several other countries is built on money laundering.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#11]
And in these "conjugal visits", I get to have sex with women?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude, don't do it.  You'll get sent to the federal pound me in the ass prison!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Use the gentle cycle
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
For low amounts, places like restaraunts will work becasue they are a cash business to some extent, but for larger amounts, well, trade secret.      

Most of these Chinese restaraunts/buffets that have sprung up over the last decade are money laundering shops for the Chinese/Asian "mafias". True, restaraunts are better for smaller amounts but considering that these days there is a Chinese carryout in  just about every neighborhood in every American city, they can move quite a volume.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top