Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2005 1:15:20 PM EDT
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10482634/

Freeman calls black history month ‘ridiculous’
Oscar-winning actor says ‘black history is American history’
The Associated Press
Updated: 2:46 p.m. ET Dec. 15, 2005

NEW YORK - Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson's Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated — when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

Freeman received Oscar nominations for his roles in 1987's "Street Smart," 1989's "Driving Miss Daisy" and 1994's "The Shawshank Redemption." He finally won earlier this year for "Million Dollar Baby."

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Alright Red.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#2]
He always was one of my favorite actors.  His voice just demands attention.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
It's about time someone stood up and told it like it is.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I like his movies
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He always was one of my favorite actors.  His voice just demands attention.

+1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
He just went up on my cool scale.

Shawshank Redemption is easy on my top 5 fav movies
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

EDITED:  Having Tim Robbins just ruins it for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I love the way this man thinks and talks..............................bravo
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

there are actually a lot of african americans with a strong sense of personal responsiblity and community values, too bad they are called uncle toms and oreos.

The most vocal "anti racism" people, ironically, promote racism through their own ridiculous behavior.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Oscar-winning actor says ‘black history is American history’
The Associated Press
Updated: 2:46 p.m. ET Dec. 15, 2005

NEW YORK - Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson's Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated — when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

Freeman received Oscar nominations for his roles in 1987's "Street Smart," 1989's "Driving Miss Daisy" and 1994's "The Shawshank Redemption." He finally won earlier this year for "Million Dollar Baby."

+1

I agree COMPLETELY. This world should only consist of Americans and those other people.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Morgan Freeman says a lot of thing some people don't like or understand.

MORGAN EXPLAINS HIS LOVE FOR MISUNDERSTOOD MISSISSIPPI

OSCAR nominee MORGAN FREEMAN has discovered why he loves his home state of Mississippi so much - it's less racist than most other places in America.

The actor grew up in racial segregation in the Delta region, which was once considered the heartland of American racism, but he insists he never felt oppression until he moved away.

And now he has fond memories of his childhood, despite the fact he wasn't allowed to attend certain clubs and had to sit on the balcony of his local cinema because only whites were allowed downstairs.

He says, "It can't bother you if that's the way life is. If you were raised up in Africa and you ate worms it wouldn't bother you, would it? Same thing.

"I wasn't thinking about rising up and going up to the Paramount and demanding to be let in to the ground floor. I just wanted to go to the movies."

Freeman admits he once dreamed of getting far away from Mississippi, but now he lives there and owns a blues bar and restaurant in Clarksdale.

He admits the state is still one of the most friendly places on earth, despite it's dubious reputation.

He adds, "I grew up in a segregated society that was purposely, obviously, openly segregated. I wasn't given any BS about anything else and I went up to the north and you see it and it's insidious... You want to think you're free-er but you're not."

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Funny how logic just has to come fromt the right mouth and folks go...Damn, that's brilliant.

Hats off to Mr. Freeman.

I almost bought Shawshank but tht fucktard Tim Robbins can't have any of my money.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Wasn't he a spokesman for the Kerry campaign?  A commercial or something?

Also, was Sean Penn in Shawshank?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having Sean Penn just ruins it for me.

Well then you shouldn't have a problem with the movie since Sean Penn isn't in it. Tim Robbins plays the main character.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Freeman was fantastic on PBSs
"The Electric Company"
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

He is a Democrat but not a moonbat bomb thrower.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EDITED:  Having Tim Robbins forcibly sodomized just ruins it for meabout makes up for having to see him at all.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I love the way this man thinks and talks..............................bravo

+1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]
His Hollywierd career is over. He'll be blacklisted.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

He's too much of a box office draw.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Not as long as Clint Eastwood is alive.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I believe you mean that he'll be "racially neutral-listed."
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Oops.  
I believe you mean he'll be "racially neutral-listed."
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Morgan Freeman, respect!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I agree about his voice,that was him doin the voice in War of the Worlds right?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is a Democrat but not a moonbat bomb thrower.

This isn't about politics. This goes BEYOND politics. It is about basic responsibility and our heritage.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#27]
The difference between Morgan and Crosby and the rest of the crowd like Farrkhan, Jackson and other POS is that these two men are self made men.  They used their skills to fit into the mainstream.  Instead of focusing on the differences, they used their talents to fit in and became part of America.

Because they are men of substance, they can stand up straight and tell it like it is.  What is Jackson without his hate and rhetoric?  Nothing.  Do you really think Jackson cares about anything but himself?

Morgan is a talented actor and obviously and self confident man.  

Weak men tend to hide and use hate and differences to self promote themselves.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Morgan Freeman ROCKED as Mace Windu...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The difference between Morgan and Crosby and the rest of the crowd like Farrkhan, Jackson and other POS is that these two men are self made men.  They used their skills to fit into the mainstream.  Instead of focusing on the differences, they used their talents to fit in and became part of America.

Because they are men of substance, they can stand up straight and tell it like it is.  What is Jackson without his hate and rhetoric?  Nothing.  Do you really think Jackson cares about anything but himself?

Very well put. Freeman and Cosby are men of character and substance and can stand on their own feet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#30]
He seems to be in every movie I watch.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Should be good.

Untitled Morgan Freeman WWII Project (2006)

Plot Outline: A drama focused on the 761st Tank Battalion, the first black armored unit to see combat in World War II, and the intense relationship between two men -- a black soldier and a white officer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very well put. Freeman and Cosby are men of character and substance and can stand on their own feet.

Well said +1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#33]

the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Freeman is one of today's best black actors.

He was spot on with his comments.  Well put Sir!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I wonder if any ARFCOM Lawyers or Professors would mind taking the time to write a letter nominating him for a Nobel Peace Prize?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said +1

I heard a very wise man on the radio the other day, a guy who had been blind since infancy, but still maintained the upmost positive attitude about life. When asked why he wasn't mad and angry at the hand of fate that he had been dealt, he simply responded "Why? You can either get bitter, or get better."

Seemed to say it all for me.

Freeman and Cosby seem to be willing to submit themselves and potentially their careers to make it better for others. The latter group seem to be willing to hide behind bitterness to promote themselves and their agendas for no other reason than their own popularity and noterity.

I would gladly stand beside either Mr. Freeman or Mr. Cosby, political differences withstanding, and support them however I could. I think this one issue alone would solve or at least minimize MANY of the domestic political issues that this nation faces today singlehandedly.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Cosby is a turd compared to Freeman.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

better to be a turd sharing the same toliet bowl with good company than spew/rectal runoff running down the thigh like Screwy Louie and so many others are.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Yo Morgan, Represent

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

"I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Shoot, he missed hitting the grand-slam home run by just 1 statement.

He should have added "... and there is no such as an African-American, you're either an American, period,  or your need to get the hell out!

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Well said.  I liked him in Unforgiven.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

+1.

Good on you, Mr. Freeman.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#45]
He is a wise man.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#46]
word up to morgan freeman. i also loved electric company. and i have this deep seated belief that he was the guy in the spiderman suit. i think he was spiderman.... the only question i would ask him if i met him.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I agree about his voice, that was him doin the voice in War of the Worlds right?

He's done a lot of narrations/voice overs in his time.  He is my favorite actor in Hollywierd.

His performance in "Shawshank" cancels out Tim Robbins just as Clint Eastwood's directing did with "Mystic River" with Penn and Robbins.

I, for one, can suspend my reality and watch very good actors ply their trade and not think of their personal political convictions.  The only person I will not watch is Barbra Streisand.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#48]
One hell of a speech
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Shoot, he missed hitting the grand-slam home run by just 1 statement.

He should have added "... and there is no such as an African-American, you're either an American, period,  or your need to get the hell out!

YES!!!!!!!

+ me and everyone else I hang with......
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

better to be a turd sharing the same toliet bowl with good company than spew/rectal runoff running down the thigh like Screwy Louie and so many others are.

Arfcom: where fearless metaphoricists come to spin them out to the bitter end.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top