BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 12:27:27 PM EDT
wow, whats this world coming to?

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles?id=n20051214132309990013

City May Require Transvestite Bathrooms
By MICHAEL ASTOR
AP
RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (Dec. 14) - For most, it's a choice of the men's room or the women's. A Brazilian city is trying to give an option to those who don't fit easily into either category.

A bill passed by the Nova Iguacu city council on Tuesday would require night clubs, shopping malls, movie theaters and large restaurants to provide a third type of bathroom for transvestites. Mayor Lindberg Farias will decide whether to make it a law.

"A lot of lawmakers didn't want to deal with this issue, but it's a serious problem in society," said city Councilman Carlos Eduardo Moreira. "It's a way to put an end to prejudice."

Moreira, a 32-year-old policeman on leave from the force, said he got the idea when dozens of transvestites showed up for a local samba show.

"It was a real problem. The women didn't feel comfortable having them in the ladies' room, and the men didn't want them in their bathroom either," said Moreira, who is married and the father of two children. "I'm not doing this for my own benefit."

He said the "alternative bathrooms" could also be used by men or women who didn't mind sharing space with transvestites.

Moreira said there are nearly 28,000 transvestites in Nova Iguacu, a poor city of about 800,000 on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro.

Moreira said many transvestites are reluctant to go out because there's no bathroom for them. And he denied that the cost of building a third bathroom would be a big problem for restaurant or club owners.

"It requires an initial investment, but after that, the establishment will end up making more money because it will have a larger public. And transvestites like to spend," he said.

The issue has divided gay groups; some feared it could segregate gays, while others said it recognized a problem within the gay community.

"At first we were against the law, but after some discussion we decided we had to support it because it addresses a real problem for a segment of the gay community," said Eugenio Ibiapino dos Santos, a founder of the Pink Triangle Association, a gay group in Nova Iguacu. "We see it as a way to open a discussion about civil rights."

Brazil is generally more tolerant of homosexuality than other Latin American countries, but discrimination still exists.

A study conducted by the Candido Mendes University in Rio de Janeiro found that 60 percent of Rio's homosexuals had met some type of harassment, and 17 percent said they had experienced physical violence.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
they're thpethal
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
TRG will be pleased.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't give a sitting piss about the bathrooms in Rio.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

me neither
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think your missing the point....which is, imagine if this garbage started here...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think your missing the point....which is, imagine if this garbage started here...

It has, a long time ago, at various leftard colleges.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think your missing the point....which is, imagine if when this garbage starts here...

Fixed it for you.

Welcome to the fall Rome.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get around much, do you?

You know, there's a whole big world out there if you ever dare to venture more than earshot of your mother's voice. The variuos cultures of the world are rich and manifold. How hard did you have to search for this one oddity that is now the most ominous threat agains American way of life? You know, in many parts of the world, straight men hold hands when walking and talking. You're aghast, right?

Grow up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Think about it - all the macho-gun totin, tobacco chewing, beer swilling, nascar watching, football loving guys standing in line at the urinals getting ready to drain the lizard -- and all of a sudden, some boy george or rupaul comes in to take a wizz also!!!  I'll bet almost every guy will call the guy in a dress a f@g. Truthfully, I think it takes a lot more balls to wear that dress than it takes to wear a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt.

I really don't give a rat's ass if there is a guy in a dress or not in the same bathroom as me. Why? because, statistacally, less than 2% of crossdressers are gay. And, personally, I'm not afraid of some gay guy hitting on me, because it won't happen - I won't trigger his gaydar!

I don't claim to understand the psyche behind crossdressing, but I'm certainly not going to bother getting into a fight, or shooting some guy for his choice of clothing.

I will, on the other hand, be glad to feed a child molester/killer to the gaters in the Ocala Nat'l Forest!!

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Coming soon to a form near you:

Sex:

___ Male

___ Female

___ Other

___ Don't Know.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get around much, do you?

You know, there's a whole big world out there if you ever dare to venture more than earshot of your mother's voice. The variuos cultures of the world are rich and manifold. How hard did you have to search for this one oddity that is now the most ominous threat agains American way of life? You know, in many parts of the world, straight men hold hands when walking and talking. You're aghast, right?

Grow up.

wow your so right, and in some cultures incest is ok, as is having sex with little girls...but...I should accept that too right?  I mean...it is their.."culture"..o please.

And where are you coming across with this "your mother" stuff, get out of here.

I HAVE traveled around the world a few times, Mexico, Egypt, Germany, Czech Republic, this month im going to Spain, and next summer Lithuania possibly.  Dont give me this shit about "within earshot" of my mother.  What do you do, watch National Geographic?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#12]
No dresses for dudes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]
So, we have the universal Men and Women signs.  What is the universal sign for chicks with dicks?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#14]
They did that at my community college this semester during October. They changed two or three men's restrooms into "unisex" to be more "accomodating to transgender students".  It has already started.  My next question is why did they only convert men's restrooms which are hard enough to find as is?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So, we have the universal Men and Women signs.  What is the universal sign for chicks with dicks?

skull and crossbones?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Coming soon to a form near you:

Sex:

___ Male

___ Female

___ Other

___ Don't Know.

HAHAHA when I applied to law school, one of the colleges I was considering had "other" under the "sex catagory" not just male, female but OTHER, needless to say I stopped the application right then and there.....I didnt wana be in Cali for 3 years of law school anyways...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#17]
YES! Another opportunity to pick up women!! Err...men....umm...Well, they still suck dick right? Cause I like blowjobs...
Oh, never mind.

*walks away from thread*
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
YES! Another opportunity to pick up women!! Err...men....umm...Well, they still suck dick right? Cause I like blowjobs...
Oh, never mind.

*walks away from thread*

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top