Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2005 11:30:02 AM EDT
I can still recall being downtown in the Maid Rite (a local eatery in Iowa) during the early 80s during hunting season and there would be a dozen rifles against the wall.

It was not uncommon for a person with a slung rifle to be walking down the street running a few errands before going hunting. And while a black AR-15 would have stood out, it wouldn't have created a problem.

I imagine there are still a few places in rural America where this sort of thing still happens but for most of America it would probably result in a SWAT callout.

But if you could...would you?

I think I'd probably stop short at a AR-15 in a vehicle gun rack.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#2]
No.  Why attract unnecessary attn to oneself?  

Unless it's zombie killin' time or unless the blue helmets invade...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I've carrried mine in town here while going from my car to a friend's. No one batted an eye. Small town life has its advantages.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I would.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I would at times, should be LEGAL irregardless. +1 on the vehicle rack though
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#6]
HELL YES
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#7]
No laws against it where I live unless it's concealed.

ETA: A handgun would be more pratical for walking around.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#8]
even in California i have carried my SKS and 12ga pump in my gun rack.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Should be legal, but I think I would feel kind of weird unless I really had a purpose to. (like maybe going squirrel hunting around my college campus)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#10]
If I could carry an AR pistol(yes they make them I saw one in a Bushmaster catalog) I would.

Best of both worlds.  

I think also it would be a pain to walk around with a full AR all day, but don't NYPD officers stand with M4's all day?  I think there was a pic somewhere.  

Edit-I couldn't though.  I live in a state with no CCW, and even if I could, I live in an urban area(outside of Chicago.)  I would raise a few eyebrows and turn a few heads.  If it were, say, rural Indiana(CCW friendly), I would.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#11]
According to a few LEO friends I have around here (both Deputy and PD), you can do that as much as you want... completely legal. BUT, you WILL get harassed by the fuzz if you do it, legal or not. Doesn't make much sense to me.

I live a few blocks outside city limits in a new neighborhood, and according to these same people, I can setup a good backstop in my (fairly small) back yard and shoot all I want... no noise ordinance outside city limits. But once again, will get a talking to by DS, but they can't stop you for doing it.

Would I do it? (shooting or carrying)

Not without a good reason. It's only going to cause problems, and if I don't have a reason to cause a problem, why should I?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in rural Colorado. I can walk down the street with a rifle on my shoulder. I don't because it would scare the sheeple. That usually isn't a good thing.

But it is a common occurrence downtown because the only sporting goods store is located at the main intersection in the downtown business area. So any where else would gather attention.

I grew up in SW Nebr. Pheasant hunting was king. I well remember shotguns galore in the fall. And like you said, everywhere. And nobody gave it a second thought.

My, how times have changed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Back in college around 91-92, I used to walk across town with my rifle to go hunt woodchucks.  I didn't have  car so the two foot express was my only option.  Cops never were called and I had them pass me while I was walking.  This was a small town in southern Ohio and the college was not your typical Liberal campus.

Personally I probably wouldn't but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can still recall being downtown in the Maid Rite (a local eatery in Iowa) during the early 80s during hunting season and there would be a dozen rifles against the wall.

It was not uncommon for a person with a slung rifle to be walking down the street running a few errands before going hunting. And while a black AR-15 would have stood out, it wouldn't have created a problem.

I imagine there are still a few places in rural America where this sort of thing still happens but for most of America it would probably result in a SWAT callout.

But if you could...would you?

I think I'd probably stop short at a AR-15 in a vehicle gun rack.

But now let's mix it up a bit, SA. The poll can speak for itself on the AR-15.

What's your opinion when we say 'MP5?'
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Call on the scanner the other day: man walking down a country  road dressed in black carrying a rifle. Made me think of this thread. Come on already folks, its the country, its hunting season. To answer  the question, no, I wouldn't. Carrying a  rifle everywhere is a PITA.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Probably not. Long guns are just so cumbersome in going about my daily routine. I'd rather have a handgun on my person and keep a long gun in the vehicle (ready for use but out of sight). Plus, I rarely frequent places where you feel the need to always have a long gun on hand. Jeff Gonzales told one of our classes that you really don't want to live in a place where you have to carry a rifle all the time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#18]
The Ohio constitution guarentees that right (if openly carried) and this was just re-stated by a recent Ohio SC ruling.

So I can do it.  And occasionally I will if I am walking over to the neighbors to shoot with them,
however I wouldn't in general, like if I was walking through town.  This is mainly do to my fear of someone deciding my home might make a good target for robbery.  I used to often have one in my gun rack, until I realized you could turn my license plate into an address on the internet in about 5 seconds.

Dan
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#20]
You mean as one is going about his daily errands?

Nope. Have no need and honestly I don't think it would be something that would speak well of your mental condition.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#21]
HELL YES!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Prolly not a fullsize AR.
Maybe an SBR AR or an Uzi or MP5K
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Let's put this another way...

Let's just say it's legal wherever you live and from time to time you see it happen.

You are at Burger king and a middle-eastern man walks in with an AK in low port position and a chest rig with 8 mags....

Can we say, draw down?

Just playing Devil's Advocate, (since DevilsAdvocate doesn't post here anymore...)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Hundreds of people do it at Camp Perry every August. It's a great feeling, everyone is polite. Wish I could do it everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Just to flaunt the issue?  Nah!

To carry over to my neighbors for a legitimate reason...Yes!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#26]

i would like the option to, but i probably wouldn't where i am. there is about 10 people that live near me, i'm not particularly worried about a terrorist attack.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't believe the massive wad of agoraphobic gun owners here.  Hiding your hobby like it is some sort of illicit addiction, or nasty rash.

WHat has society become?  Turning an activity that was once vital to the survival of this nation into something not only shunned by society, but by its participants as well.

eta, I was judging by responses to the thread not what the poll showed..I am surprised at the disparity.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Yepper.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I can't believe the massive wad of agoraphobic gun owners here.  Hiding your hobby like it is some sort of illicit addiction, or nasty rash.

WHat has society become?  Turning an activity that was once vital to the survival of this nation into something not only shunned by society, but by its participants as well.

eta, I was judging by responses to the thread not what the poll showed..I am surprised at the disparity.

You can thank some of the laws on the books for that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Well actually in the Commonwealth of Virginia... CCW permit holders can open carry ARs, legally. However, I have never seen it done, except for when walking from the NRA parking lot to the NRA range. And some of us do have our ARs and such ready to "go" in our cars.

Here is our open carry law:
======================
18.2-287.4 It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public (i) in any city with a population of 160,000 or more or (ii) in any county having an urban county executive form of government or any county or city surrounded thereby or adjacent thereto or in any county having a county manager form of government.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I don't know what part of Alaska you live in but here in TN there is no need for me to walk around with an AR. A pistol is more than enough firepower for anything I see myself encountering & legally engaging in urban daylight and on the other hand it's not like I can go set up some soda cans down on second avenue to plink at if I get bored. Since there is no need, why would I? To look like some paranoid poser?

Now the car is a different story, but that's not what the original question asked.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I have walked thru town with my AR slung down main street on my way home.  Noone gave me a funny look except for the new guy on the PD force, but he was promptly chewed out by the Chief.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I could carry an AR pistol(yes they make them I saw one in a Bushmaster catalog) I would.
~
Edit-I couldn't though.  I live in a state with no CCW, and even if I could, I live in an urban area(outside of Chicago.)  I would raise a few eyebrows and turn a few heads.  If it were, say, rural Indiana(CCW friendly), I would.  

Not that I'd expect anybody to believe this ... but I brought a 10" M-16 into Chicago City Hall.
It was their idea, not mine, but it was still interesting.

And what happened?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know what part of Alaska you live in but here in TN there is no need for me to walk around with an AR. A pistol is more than enough firepower for anything I see myself encountering & legally engaging in urban daylight and on the other hand it's not like I can go set up some soda cans down on second avenue to plink at if I get bored. Since there is no need, why would I? To look like some paranoid poser?

Now the car is a different story, but that's not what the original question asked.

Truthfully I do not carry my AR, just my shotty from time to time.  I do have to walk down the street from time to time with whatever gun I have at the time to get to the gun store I frequent, and I do not have to go out of my way to keep it hidden, or locked/concealed/out of sight of sheeple.  

There might not be a need to walk around with an ar, but then again, when was the last time you needed a handgun?  When was the last time you needed a gun at all?  Necessity is subjective.

and looking like a poseur seems to be a bigger fear for gun owners now than any of the real reasons to own a gun.   IT is kind of funny.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

+1

You put my very thoughts into words.  No need, whatsoever, to shrink back.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn sure would. I'd like to see what shock value it had on the sheeple!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can do that here.  However like you said I think it result in the cops being called.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#40]
I carrya pistol and M-4 everywhere I go here, and although it's re-assuring, it's also a pain in the ass.  I see people everyday that don't treat that weapon with the respect that was instilled in me in the Marine Corps.  ND's, people leaving their rifles in the chow-hall, head, you name it, it's been left there...Most aren't responsible or competent enough.  My .02.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#41]
During holloween this year, a couple of Jr high "Hunters" came to my door carrying single shot shotguns.  No big deal around here!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't think so, unless I was planning on doing something specific with. IMHO, it isn't a good weapon for the kind of trouble you are likely to have. If you have it slung so that it is sorta comfortable and doesn't get in the way all the time, it'll take too long to get on target in an actual encounter. A full-size handgun in an open-carry holster with retention is a better choice.

Now if you're on patrol in a place where being attacked by more then 3-4 people with weapons who are determined to kill you is a realistic possibility, then that would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Not worth the trouble and attention in contemporary society.

In a SHTF scenario, or a zombie apocalypse, hell yes, my AR would go with me everywhere.

In "real life" if I'd conceal carry even if I was allowed to open carry. Accuse me of being agoraphobic, but it's just a good idea to not upset the sheeple... hanging out at arfcom one tends to forget that the rest of the population actually is NOT interested in guns, and facts about guns and their owners. They just know that they can kill you.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Yo!

You betcha!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Its perfectly legal here in Oregon.  I have carried my AR down town here in the small town I live but I wouldn't in a more metropolitan area.  I have joked about it with some of my political friends but I'm pretty sure we would be stripped search by the LEOs!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#46]
While it would be completly legal.

in town I would probly catch some heat form the cops for sturrin shit up.

Out by my house no prob.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I would at times, should be LEGAL irregardless. +1 on the vehicle rack though

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#48]
(Homer) Mmm Maid-Rite. (Homer)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You mean as one is going about his daily errands?

Nope. Have no need and honestly I don't think it would be something that would speak well of your mental condition.

WTF??????????????

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Aww.  Lookat all the apologists.  Spouting the VPC excuse line up.  Such winning phrases as 'WHy do you need it.' and 'I don't think it's necessary.'

No wonder we lose so many rights.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top