Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 11:10:51 AM EDT
I can't decide if this is a nasty, moral-droppnig comment, or a well-intentioned suggestion.  When the timer on this video get to about 30 seconds the reporter tells the soldier (speaking of the soldier's family members), "You might want to wish them a merry Christmas, it might be your last chance."

Thoughts?

EDITED:  OK, I don't know how to link to the video, but it's here:  www.foxnews.com, middle of the page, a video titled "Iraqi Elections."

EDITED:  I just realized that it was Oliver North.  I can't imagine him saying anything meant badly, but it just didn't sound right to me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#1]
He might have meant "last chance" as in, better say it now, cause the feed is gonna get cut soon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He might have meant "last chance" as in, better say it now, cause the feed is gonna get cut soon.

Hmm, good point, that could be.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I think he mean it might be your last chance to wish them a Merry Christmas on camera before Christmas has come and gone.  That's how I see it.

-Jason M
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Might have meant that it could be his last chance period. I have no clue. It really doesn't matter. If it was Geraldo, we would be screaming for his head, but since it's "Ollie" it won't matter. We are too damn sensitive and looking for insults where there are none. Jebus, we are the same as the left looking for insensitive remarks where none are or at the least not intended.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like Colonel North inadvertantly crammed his foot right in his yapper. Probably didn't mean it like you think he did, but he's gonna feel real bad if this guy doesn't make it home.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I saw that report when it aired, and that ^ is the way I took it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
North wouldn't say something with that kind of malice.  I'm sure it was regarding the end of the video feed.

- BG
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends. I don't care who it is/was, if the comment was made in an honest effort to have the soldier say something to his family before the feed was cut, then IMHO it's fine. On the other hand, if the comment was made implying a not-so-good fortune, I'll resort to something my grandfather told me years ago: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think I saw that. It sounded funny, but I took it as "last chance to say hi on TV" because we are moving to another location.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#11]
What, we are expected to look at statements in context?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Not out of line or thoughtful just simple fact. How many times do you think that Marine is going to get to get to say Merry Christmas on national TV.

People need to lighten up just a little bit and quit trying to find offence where there is none.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
As above:
"Last chance before we cut..."
"Last chance before Christmas..."

Could mean many things, but I dont' believe it meant the worst .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top