Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 10:09:40 AM EDT
So I have a friend that wants to buy one of my lower receivers in Texas.  Am I able to send it to his FFL and what do I have to do to make this completely legit
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Just send it to his FFL and he will transfer it to him.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just send it to his FFL and he will transfer it to him.

Thats all i have to do to make it legal?  seems too easy
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I would check your state laws. Here in Illinois we have to keep gun records for 10 years as individuals. Not a problem for me as a FFL cause I have to keep them forever. At the least I would get his FFL # or a copy of his FFL something with name and address to prove you did it right.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
At the least I would get his FFL # or a copy of his FFL something with name and address to prove you did it right.

yeah, Im planning on at least having that faxed to me
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
At the least I would get his FFL # or a copy of his FFL something with name and address to prove you did it right.

yeah, Im planning on at least having that faxed to me

Most FFL s will not send copies to Non FFLs. And you don't need them to.

Just need the first 3 and last 5 parts of his license and verify it here:

www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Then send to that address.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#6]
rgr that Steyr, I knew you would be able to help out, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
rgr that Steyr, I knew you would be able to help out, thanks.

NP. As a NON FFL you have no requirement to obtain or keep a FFL on record. You need ONLY confirm that you are shipping to a valid FFL.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks man, what about declaring it as a firearm.  Is that required?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks man, what about declaring it as a firearm.  Is that required?

Not if you are shipping to an FFL.  I would just take it the Post Office and mail it to the FFL Priority Mail, insured.  Don't lie about the contents.  The clerk probably won't ask.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
No, don't lie about the contents... If they ask, it's "machine parts".

Best part is they really are!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't lie about contents.

A person can legally ship a firearm to a FFL and carriers like Fed Ex and UPS both will do that.

I "think" (but I'm not positive) that you have to be a FFL for the post office to ship a handgun for you, definitely check. But if you lie about it and they discover it is a handgun, they will confiscate it and get away with it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A person can legally ship a firearm to a FFL and carriers like Fed Ex and UPS both will do that.

I "think" (but I'm not positive) that you have to be a FFL for the post office to ship a handgun for you, definitely check. But if you lie about it and they discover it is a handgun, they will confiscate it and get away with it.

Yes, you do have to be a dealer or manufacturer to mail a handgun.  However, MrPink123 was talking about a lower receiver for a rifle.  A nonlicensee can mail those.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:42:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, you do have to be a dealer or manufacturer to mail a handgun.  However, MrPink123 was talking about a lower receiver for a rifle.  A nonlicensee can mail those.

Didn't catch that. You are correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top