Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2005 10:05:19 AM EDT
Me about 25 feet onto my back onto a brick sidewalk followed behind by a ladder. I swore I was going to die. Amazingly, not even a bruise and simply dazed by the fall and had a limp for a few days in my hip.

Curious whats the furthest you have fallen with minimum amount of damage to your self. Just find it insane how much crap we can put our bodies through.

By the way I fell by climbing up a ladder and not having it tied down. I was pruning a tree and slowly twisted to the side and next thing I knew I was upside down with a ladder coming down on top of me.

My most painful fall was probably when I was 8 trying to use a ladder as stilts. I found out that day falling on your knees on a drive way was a horrible feeling.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
18 feet. Was on scaffolding doing sheet rock work on a ceiling. Off work about 2 or 3 weeks, no surgery but plenty of pain.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
18 feet. Was on scaffolding doing sheet rock work on a ceiling. Off work about 2 or 3 weeks, no surgery but plenty of pain.

I take it that fall was onto some nice concrete. Ouch
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I fell about 20 or 30 feet in a quarry once.  I was around 11.  Fell onto very finely crumbled rock that had accumulated at the bottom in pile due to erosion.  Also what made me slip up on the ledge.  Got up and walked away, nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#4]
About 40 ft flat onto my main parachute. We were doing Huey jumps on Sicily DZ. I was the last guy to get on. We start to take off before I get my safety belt hooked up. Pilot does a hard turn and out I go. Luckily it wasn't tactical jumps with all the gear.
Flat on my back on top of my pack tray. I saw stars, a lot of them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Riding BMX on a 5ft. mini ramp.  Lost control on the deck of the ramp and fell face first into hard dept. store type tile floor.  Concrete right under the tile...NOT fun.  

I was knocked out, had a moderate concussion, broke teeth, cracked my helmet, pissed myself because I had almost no control over body functions....

My mom told me the next day that I kept asking the nurse the same questions over and over again.

I don't remember much of it though.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Only 10 feet of a garage roof. Landed on my feet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I dunno about the height, but it was from a one story garage. Landed chest first on the ground. It sucks not being able to breathe correctly for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#8]
33,k feet doing a HALO jump while door gunning out the space shuttle bay door
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Let see:

Took what I call "A Wild Ladder Ride"....

Working at GM tech center on a small paint booth air line, using an old wood ladder with no feet to support it at the bottom. Foreman would hold the ladder and up I went to close up ceiling tile we lifted---- say fifteen to eighteen feet up.

Job proceeds, we finish... I had to close up ceiling tile.. being the go-getter I am I shoot up the ladder without the foreman to hold the base so it doesnt kick out. Just to save time.

WRONG MOVE.

Large steel coat-rack beneath me, I go up the ladder to the top and reach up to close up the ceiling tile...

Uhh... the ladder is moving... ie the base is kicking out on the polished vinyl tile floor.

I hang on to ladder with grip of death and manage to strike the coat rack below straight and square and my legs shoot down between the rungs to straddle the ladder...

with the ladder just touching the meat and two veg.

In other words I landed violently on my feet.

Foreman runs over and is about crapping himself.

He sees I am okay and then says "you are white as a ghost". I reply, with a yah' right.

I go to the bathroom and look in the mirror and I am white as this screen I am typing on.

Lucky I dont sing soprano permanently.

Dram out
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#10]
15 feet while working at the WIZ. (Bestbuy is similar and the WIZ is out of biz)
When I was going to night school I was working the overnight shift off loading trucks full of stuff. Heaviest things were TV and ACs and it was the middle of summer.
The TV's are stacked on 15' high shelves and we were at the end of putting the stuff away for the evening. I was up on the shelves and on the floor was a ratty old TV stand made of the usual cheapo materials and it sat about 3' off the ground.
I'm moving around a pillar and it requires me to step around it and I had done this move a hundred times but this time I did a misstep and my foot missed the landing and all I could grab was air.
I dropped sideways and my upper right side just below my arm pit smashed onto the edge of the TV stand.
ALL I remember was waking up in the hospital in major fucking pain. The only injury I got was a huge bruise with 3 busted ribs. The cocksuckers at the hospital sent me home with Ibuprofen.
I couldn't sleep cause every time I lay down my side hurt like a mofo. Longest week of my life.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#11]
almost a 25 while building a polebarn. We were doing rafters and I was on one of the walls standing on the horizontal studs when the hook came off the rafter and dropped it. It smashed the 2 studs below me and skimmed my leg up also. I was able to grab onto the nearest pole and swing around onto the other studs.

I also just about did a 20 when I was shingling an old victorian house and tripped on a nail on my way down the roof. I did a one handed catch on the rear scaffoling bar preventing myself from going down head first.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Working on a job site at about 16 years of age. Guy had an original structure he tacked  an addition  on to with a  horizontal roof deck that was supposed to have grass over the top with spiral staircases leading into the residence interior. All of this overlooking a gorge with a drop of a few hundred feet straight down. Backing up with a wheelbarrow load of dirt or something, all of a sudden had nothing underfoot. Had a second or two to think I'd somehow run myself off the side of the building with the gorge under me, then went straight down and landed on my feet the next floor down. I'd backed right  up into the empty hole cut into the roof for the spiral staircase.House was later bought up by Carl Sagan; when his family sold it off, the whole addition to the original house that I'd worked on was removed. Still a great view though.

Don't ever want to fall further than that; people who fall over a story don't seem to survive without some sort of injury.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#13]
About 10 feet at Macho Grande when I tripped...uh....dove for cover out the door. but I came out faster than expected because the pilot was in a rush to get outta the LZ
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#14]
87 feet!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#15]
About 25 - 30 ft.  Out of pine tree.  More like through the pine tree I guess.

When I was 11 I was climbing up in a pine tree when the branch I was on broke.  I fell all the way to the ground hitting branches along the way.  I landed hard on my feet and then fell to my ass.

Total injuries:
Misc. scratches.
Sore butt cheeks.

The branches slowed my fall just about all the way to the ground.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know if you would consider this a fall but when I was 7 years old I went off a 10 meter platform into a swimming pool.  I did a belly flop and witnesses said I hit so hard and just "sat: on top of the water for a second before sinking.  

It knocked my breath away and felt like I hit concrete.  I had a red welt on my arms legs and entire stomach.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#17]
About 25 feet out of a tree when I was 6.  A lot of scratches and a bump on the head, but was okay.

Now a 10 foot fall out of a tree broke both of my wrists.  But that is a whole other story, and you said minimal damage.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Highest for me: about 12 feet off of a roof onto my back, while drunk.

Worst:  5-1/2 feet.  May 6, 2004.  I broke BOTH of my elbows while installing a recessed light above the fireplace.  I was on an aluminum 6 foot step ladder, with one foot on the ladder and one on the mantle.  The ladder buckled under me, and the rest is history.  Three surgeries and more than $45,000 later, I am finally getting along without much pain.

M.L.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#19]
How high is a barstool?

I've been pretty lucky when high places were involved. I cannot say the same for tequila.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't know if you would consider this a fall but when I was 7 years old I went off a 10 meter platform into a swimming pool.  I did a belly flop and witnesses said I hit so hard and just "sat: on top of the water for a second before sinking.  

It knocked my breath away and felt like I hit concrete.  I had a red welt on my arms legs and entire stomach.

Did you get mouth-to-mouth from the hot lifeguard chick?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#21]
About 18500 feet.  But it involved supplemental oxygen on the plane and a parachute.  Strictly speaking, only the first 16500 feet were really falling, but that was a really long freefall...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#22]
22,000 feet but what the hey, anything over fifty feet will probably kill you. After that you might as well keep going up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#23]
highest? about 50 feet from a backhoe into a pool.

Not for fun? About 15 feet, on my back.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#24]
About 3 feet.  I fell out of bed
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#25]
1250 AGL

did a good PLF though
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#26]
My fall from glory!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Climbing a granite slab.

I was about 15 ft above my last clip in, and lost it. Fell the 15 ft to my last clip in, and my belayer pulled in about 5 ft of rope, so I went another 10 ft or so past the clip.

Rope caught me, but then slammed into the rock face. Never ceases to amaze me how uncompliant granite is....

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Just shy of 60 feet.  Rappelling and the gear didn't work (little or no friction from my descending device).  It hurt.

I work with a guy who fell 120 feet free-climbing; shattered both arms and legs along with his pelvis.  Amazing he survived, let alone walked again.

Statistically, falls above 30 feet hit 50% fatality and get worse with altitude.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't know the exact height, but I took a fall from a 3rd story exterior wall plate into a pile of round drain rock.  Cuts, bruises and knocked myself out, but managed to walk to the truck once I came to.  My work partner still was climbing down once I woke up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#30]
1700 AGL
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Did TRG even try to help you up or just giggle?

- BG
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I fell about 20 or 30 feet in a quarry once.  I was around 11.  Fell onto very finely crumbled rock that had accumulated at the bottom in pile due to erosion.  Also what made me slip up on the ledge.  Got up and walked away, nothing wrong.

Extremely similar. In my case it was from a mound of dirt into the hole dug for the basement of a new house. About 15 feet total, although I slid more than fell. The grade, however, was about 85 degrees. fell the whole way down with my back against the wall, head-first, imagining I was going to break my neck on the edge of the concrete foundation. Fortunately, the bottom of the hole flared a bit and broke the fall.

As close as I ever want to come...

As for "on purpose", that would be the 10-meter board at USNA.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#33]
about 8 or 9 years ago when i was in the boyscouts, we were on a campout at bear creek, texas.  our campsite was on a cliff.  one night, one of the guys was sleepwalking and he managed to make it through a barbwire fence, and fell off the cliff.  over 100 feet to the bottom...  all he had was a gash on the back of his head and a chipped pelvis.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#34]
About 40'...down a bluff. Limped away with 2 fractured metatarsals (sp).

Off a 2 story 100 yr old house...into a deep snow drift. That one scared me the most....I landed on my back, and when all the snow settled, I was burried a few feet deep, covered in powdery snow, unable to breathe, seeing stars and a whole lotta white. Very unsettling feeling.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#35]
13,500 feet.  

highest unexpected fall was from 4000, when i fell out of the jump bird on a hard bank towards the open door.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did TRG even try to help you up or just giggle?

- BG

The slut just giggled.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#38]
50 foot drop into the water at Indian Head Grotto, Tobermory, Canada.  I did about 4 jumps at that height, all went well.  The last jump I got just a bit out of sorts in the air, but landed with out pain.  I called it a day after that one.  

Some in our group did an 80 footer.  No way was I up for that.  

For a side note:  Latter in the day we were all sitting along the edge of the 80 footer relaxing.  A group of people in their 50's come up the trail on a day hike and politely inquire what were are doing.  We explain we are having a ball jumping off the rocks into the water.  One woman in the group is just horrified at out recklessness.  She starts a stream of consciousness tirade about how dangerous that is and how responsible we are.  She wraps up with doubting its even true.  

With out a word my cousin stands up and jumps over the edge.  He said later he could hear her scream almost his entire way down.  She flipped out, screamed, went weak in the knees, and had to be physically propped up by two gentlemen in her party and assisted down the trail.  She was muttering incoherently at that point.  

I very seldom laugh at others misfortune, but she had it coming.  

Damn that was funny.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Right out of high school I was doing construction. We were up on a shake roof the day after it had rained. Slipped and fell about 25 feet. Had a broken wrist and a concusion.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#40]
200 feet from a rocky cliff face.  Bumbles bounce !!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Not the highest fall, but the dumbest:

I come home from work and the giant tree in front of my house has a broken branch.  It's about 3" thick and has broken pretty far up on the tree.   The branch is hanging down within 6' of the ground and will not drop free of the tree.  I get my pole-saw and the ladder and still can not reach the break.

I get a monumentally stupid idea:  I'll run and jump and swing from the branch, breaking it free and safely carrying me away from the impact site.  Brilliant!  I back up, get a running start and leap for the branch.  

First attempt: I get a handful of leaves and face-full of dirt.   Deciding that the plan is good but the execution was flawed, I try again.  Run, leap, grab, success.  I have a secure grip on the branch as it swings toward the driveway.  At the end of the swing, it doesn't break.  So, I swing back and forth on the branch, trying to formulate Plan B.

Plan B: While still hanging from the branch, bounce up and down. That should do it.  

It did.  About the time I heard it snap, I realized the flaw in Plan B.  I hit the ground an instant before the branch drills me in the neck, shoulder, head, everywhere.  I crawl out from under the branch, bleeding in a dozen places while my neighbor slowly claps and shakes his head.

My wife won't let me play outside without supervison anymore.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I hit a jump while skiing once.  because I went up and the mountain continued to go down I probably fell about 20-30 feet.  I landed on my feet but had so much forward momentum my chest and faceslammed into the ground and my feet came up over my head. I was looking at my feet in the snow in front of me while my chest was in the snow.  I rolled like that several times then took a sled down the mountain.  Doctor said 25% compression fracture of one of my vertebrae.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#43]
8-9 years old.

Climbed a tree pretty deep in the woods at my grandpas farm screwin around mid-summer after school approx 4-5 pm. Last I recall was fairly high up ( maybe 20-25 feet ) and a good size piece of bark I was using as a hand hold gave way and I remember the sensation of falling. I never recalled hitting the ground.

Next thing I know it is dark ( so it's at least 10:00 pm - been TKO for at least 4-5 hours ) and my dad wakes me up standing there w/ a flashlight. How he found me I'll never know. Easy 40+ acre woods.

Not a single mark on me ( must have not hit a single branch on the way down ). Strangest thing of all had a terrible ear ache for a few days was my only sympton.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#45]
My fall from grace is a work in progress.  Been falling at terminal velocity for many years.  I'll let you know when I hit bottom.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I get knocked off my high horse around these parts pretty regularly.

Doesn't hurt, much.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Extremely similar. In my case it was from a mound of dirt into the hole dug for the basement of a new house. About 15 feet total, although I slid more than fell. The grade, however, was about 85 degrees. fell the whole way down with my back against the wall, head-first, imagining I was going to break my neck on the edge of the concrete foundation. Fortunately, the bottom of the hole flared a bit and broke the fall.

As close as I ever want to come...

As for "on purpose", that would be the 10-meter board at USNA.

Well, the fall was verticle for 20 to 30 '.  Slide off a ledge fell and landed on pile.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
About 10 feet at Macho Grande when I tripped...uh....dove for cover out the door. but I came out faster than expected because the pilot was in a rush to get outta the LZ

Over Macho Grande?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
87 feet!

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Over Macho Grande?

You never get over Macho Grande
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top