Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 9:45:42 AM EDT
My dad and stepmom have 2 little girls, one is a year old, and the other is 2 and a half. I have absolutely no idea what to get for them, they dont need clothes and they have tons of toys. Any ideas? Im sure you parents have some.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Savings Bond for the little one.  It would also be good for the 2 year old, but she might appreciate a Dora the Explorer doll even more.

-Forest (parent of 2)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Savings Bond for the little one.  It would also be good for the 2 year old, but she might appreciate a Dora the Explorer doll even more.

-Forest (parent of 2)

Thanks, I had thought about savings bonds, but I dont have their SSN's and I dont think I could get a paper bond in time, if all else fails I'll just do electronic ones.  Thanks for the doll idea, I'll look into them. (I'm trying to finish up my christmas buying today)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#3]
books!  My kids favorite:  Dr Seuss, Little Critter, Bernstein Bears.  I know it sounds boring but they are very nice gifts.

Music is another great gift.  Hap Palmer's Baby Songs and Toddler Songs are excellent come in most formats.

A collectable music box each year would be very special when they get older.

Lastly but not leastly, time with Big Brother.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Something really loud and annoying that the kids love to play with. Hey, you're not living there now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the Ideas everyone,  Forest's idea of a Dora the Explorer doll seemed good; one of my professors had a "buenos noches" dora the explorer in class, and since my stepmom wants her daughters to be bilingual, I thought that would be a great idea. Now for the little one, I may just do the Savings bond.
And to mcgredo, I may not be living there, but I certainly visit often and I can tell you, they have PLENTY of loud noisemaking toys, I dont know how people can live with these toys full time However, if it wasnt my family, I'd probably give them the most obnoxious and loud toy I could find
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]
The only enjoyment that I get from Christmas as an adult (aside from the food and the time off) is seeing kids faces light up when they open a gift. You're not going to get that with a savings bond.

For little girls I would recommend stuffed animals. You can get a pretty good one for $20, and you'll be the man of the hour.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
... but she might appreciate a Dora the Explorer doll even more.

-Forest (parent of 2)

That's what I bought for my 2 year old cousin.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The only enjoyment that I get from Christmas as an adult (aside from the food and the time off) is seeing kids faces light up when they open a gift. You're not going to get that with a savings bond.

Well as a parent of two I can tell you a 1 year old doesn't give a rat's ass about  what is in the box.  90% of the time they'd prefer to play with the box and/or wrapping paper.  You put a savings bond in a box with wrapping paper and the kid will have their fun, and have a little something for later when they are old enough to appreciate it.

Patty's suggestion of books/music is another really good idea.  My 4 year old daughter loves both (the music she usually listens to when she goes to bed).  Just make sure the books have lots of bright pictures (oh yeah they do make Dora the Explorer books - Dora is really popular among young girls.)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#9]
It's simple buy them a Chipmunk .22 rifle! That's what I got my girls, now there 6 and almost ready to shoot. Realistically though either stuffed animals or something with blinking lights. My kids stared at those kinds of toys for hours when they were 2.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I nix the stuffed animal idea...dust collectors.

1 year old: BLOCKS...plastic ones or soft ones ('cause she WILL chew on them!)
I like the Dora Doll

And I like Patty's book recommendation...for one year olds, they have books made of heavy cardboard that have stuff to touch (like feathers) in between the pages: feel and learn books: my kids loved them when they were babies.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My dad and stepmom have 2 little girls, one is a year old, and the other is 2 and a half. I have absolutely no idea what to get for them, they dont need clothes and they have tons of toys. Any ideas? Im sure you parents have some.

Here's is what you need to get:

Bitty Baby from American Girl

Trust me, I have two little girls who just adore these things.  And an added plus, the next time a gift giving occasion comes around, just buy them outfits for the dolls.

A word of caution from someone who knows: if you go this route, buy both of them the exact same thing to avoid future arguments. Remember, the little one won't stay little for long and if she and her sister are buddies, she'll want the same thing as her big sister.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Lucky Ducks! The greatest game ever made. Teaches the kiddos memory.

There are little green dots or blue dots on the bottoms of the ducks, and they spin around this little isalnd. You each choose a color and the chaos ensues. It honestly is a very fun game to play with kids that age (2 1/2 and up). This was the first game that we could play with our daughter using the "supplied" rules. It's about $10 bucks and runs on a couple of batteries. Pretty durable too did'nt break down after a week.

If you get it they will like it I promise.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Hungry Hungry Hippos?

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Winnie the Pooh, Cabbage patch, simple craft stuff, books, Barbie, etc
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I got my little cousin some lawn darts.

(Something fuzzy maybe?)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Toys 'R' Us here had Winnie the Pooh stuffed animals (14" tall) for $5.

Obviously, my 2yr-old daughter is getting one.  We let her carry it around in the basket the whole time, then left it behind when we unloaded her from the basket.    I went to the car with her; wife bought it, threw it in the trunk when she got out to the car.  On Christmas morning, my daughter () will get to see her "long lost friend" again.  Mommy and Daddy get hugs+kisses; everything is right with the world.  

If you want a good gift (mebbe when they're a little older), nothing can hold a candle to a flame thrower (pun intended!).
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Something really  loud and annoying  that the kids love to play with. Hey, you're not living there now.

"Amazing Amanda" doll. Talks, talks, talks. May be a little too soon at two years. I heard a clip on the radio and I would strangle the doll.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:50:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well as a parent of two I can tell you a 1 year old doesn't give a rat's ass about  what is in the box.  90% of the time they'd prefer to play with the box and/or wrapping paper.  You put a savings bond in a box with wrapping paper and the kid will have their fun, and have a little something for later when they are old enough to appreciate it.

Patty's suggestion of books/music is another really good idea.  My 4 year old daughter loves both (the music she usually listens to when she goes to bed).  Just make sure the books have lots of bright pictures (oh yeah they do make Dora the Explorer books - Dora is really popular among young girls.)

Forest really knows what he is talking about.
My two nieces are both getting Dora the Explorer blankets and books for their Christmas gifts.
They are nuts about that show.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:42:45 AM EDT
[#19]
+1 on the books, plus girls like to preen and primp, at this age they will probably be mimicking their mom so maybe some hair care products like a nice soft brush and comb with a little hand mirror.

It helps get them used to getting their hair combed and such, believe me I know!!! It was a daily fight to get  her hair combed, or braided or even put in pony tail, so this might help them get used to the idea......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top