Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 6:14:44 AM EDT
I was looking at the flaming weed eater and it states you can remove oil stains with flame. Is this more or less dangerous than it sounds?

My Volkswagen leaks like a sieve. I have tried kitty litter and engine degreaser. If I can get all the oil up I will throw down a small piece of plywood for the drips.

Whats the best solution? Thanks Chris.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the hottest salsa you can find, pour it on, leave it for a few hours and hose it off.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Get the hottest salsa you can find, pour it on, leave it for a few hours and hose it off.

Never heard this but it does sound like it might work? Salsa is not cheep though. Another method.... saw dust and paint thinner slurry mix. Let it sit, scrub with broom, dispose. Also, scrub really good with laundry soap.

Wal-Mart - buy a drip pan and sell the VW.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn,and here I was wishing I HAD a driveway to work on.Sucks laying in the mud.

Used to use Varnaline to clean commercial garage/shop floors.Broom it in with the stiffest bristled broom you can find.I mean really work it in,then spread oil absorbent to pick up solvent and oil.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Coca  cola.  You will be amazed, and then maybe quit drinking it thereafter.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never heard this but it does sound like it might work? Salsa is not cheep though. Another method.... saw dust and paint thinner slurry mix. Let it sit, scrub with broom, dispose. Also, scrub really good with laundry soap.

Wal-Mart - buy a drip pan and sell the VW.

What sell the VW? Yes I know, I will this summer and get something equally as sexy. A 2006 VW Golf, woohoo!

I will try the solutions from cheapest to the most expensive on Sunday.

Will kitty litter soak up the Varnaline?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#6]
high pressure washer or steam cleaner...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Most of the driveway oil stain removers use hydrochorlic acid as the active ingredient (well, maybe no longer due to enviro laws). Go to your local pool supply or hardware store and get the acid, dilute it down with water and use. Dilute heavily at first and increase the acid slowly until you get it working... just like reloading.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Dawn.

Cover the spots and just let it sit.  Let the sun bake it in and let the rain wash it away.

Edited to add: This works well on dried spots.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Powdered Fruit drinks.   Or if you were in the Navy,  Bug Juice powder.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Just use your mother's spit, any mother's spit can take the grease spot off of a driveway
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:44:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Cat Litter
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#12]
i have good luck on the smooth concrete in my garage with Simple Green of all things.  I spay  it on pretty thick and let is sit a few minutes, then spay some more and scrub it a bit with a rubber brush.  May take a few applications, but it worked for me better than the stain remover I tried from Home Depot.  I tried them side by side and then used the simple Green to clean up what the other missed.  I used cat litter to clean up the whole mess of wet crap when I was done. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's my method. YMMV.

1) Use sweeping compound or kitty litter to absorb as much of the wet oil as possible. Multiple applications may be necessary.

2) Lightly wet the stain with water. Cover the entire stain with Tide or other super-kick-ass detergent. Lightly wet the Tide on top of the water. Let sit in the sun for ... well, until you feel like proceeding.

3) Wash the detergent off. Scrub the stain with a steel wire bush. Let dry.

4) Cover the entire stain with undiluted Simple Green. Let stand for an hour or so.

5) Rinse off the Simple Green. Rinse thoroughly!

6) While the stain is still a bit wet, scrub it again with bleach.

If you still have a noticeable stain you can't live with, use oven cleaner.

I have tried all kinds of commercial products to try to clean garage and driveway oil stains, but I don't think that, especially for the money, they are very effective. I've never tried a pressure washer, but with the right detergent, these might produce good results in one or two passes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Most of the driveway oil stain removers use hydrochorlic acid as the active ingredient (well, maybe no longer due to enviro laws). Go to your local pool supply or hardware store and get the acid, dilute it down with water and use. Dilute heavily at first and increase the acid slowly until you get it working... just like reloading.

hydrochorlic acid?

See Coke above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top