Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2005 6:02:10 AM EDT
 I am gonna hit the shower and head out for a morning show of King Kong....review will be forthcoming.  I am on Mountain time ( I think...being a night shift guy, I never really know when I am ) and the first show is at 9:10 or 9:50 is that one happens to sell out.

It's 8:01 A.M. Arizona ( mountain??? )  time......off to the shower!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool.  I'll give my review of Brokeback Mountain soon too
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#2]
 Well, enough about Brokedick Mountain and on to what's really important....King Kong.

ya know, sometimes I think I prefer movies that I hate to ones I love because it's so much more FUN to crack down on a film than give a glowing report....and in today's movie scene, awash mind numbingly weak, cookie cutter entertainment it's pretty easy to hate just about anything that Hollywierd puts out....ESPECIALLY REMAKES.  Every now and then a remake can work ( though I am killing myself to think of one that was worth a damn ) I have to wonder, as many do, if Hollywierd has just cornered itself and is so desperate for good ideas that they are reaching into the Antique Road show of pictures for lack of a better thing to do.  It's NOT that there aren't good ideas out there...there ARE...but Hollywierd has itself locked into an Corproate version of some Orwellian nightmare where original thought is seriously looked down upon.

condsider some of the horrible "remakes" as of late that were supposed to bring "new life" into pictures and instead have us choking back the desire to find theses directors and producers and STRANGLE the life out of them.....how about Tim Burton's rendition of "Planet of the Apes".......how about the recent "Aeon Flux" or "Dukes of Hazard".........it does not bode will for the track record of remakes......

But this one......

After Jackson's beautifully cast, wonderfully acted and photographed, YET SERIOUSLY MISGUIDED "Lord of the Rings" I had no clue as to how the hell he was going to deal with one of the most beloved Sci Fi/ Fantasy Classics in cinematic history.....I was hoonestly expecting a great tragedy cloaked in eye candy.....

During the film I had good reason to worry.  Jack Black's "at any cost character" gets VERY tiresome after repeatedly not being able to get the message about what is TRULY valuable in life.....VERY TIRESOME.  Exactly HOW DENSE can someone be?  The odd, annoying "Ridley Scott Combat Slow Mo" photography that pops in and out of certain action sequences and then BLESSEDLY disappears about halfway through the film really got on my nerves.  For goodness sakes, I hate it when Ridley does it...why the hell would anyone want to copy the WORST apsect of a great director is beyond me.  Another wierd tidbit ( I assume a leftover from LOTR ) is his propensity to concentrate on EVERY MINOR CHARACTER and then just ditch them suddenly.  for God's sakes....why spend the time on someone who never has any input of any kind later in the film......and why do actors have to go through action sequences that the Terminator could not survive on a GOOD day....why the preposterous, when just plain ol' thrilling will do just fine???  WHY?????

and then there's those little, teeny, liberaltic twinges that pop in an out  a few times during the flick.......Sighhhhhhh....you guys will discover those all on your own......

Did I mention that is is one of the greatest films I have seen in twenty years??

despite the aforemention bitches......

THIS MOVIE IS EVERYTHING THAT THE ORIGINAL AND THE 76 REMAKE COULD NOT BE.
Jackson takes GREAT CARE that this movie is an homage to one of the Sci Fi / Fantasy greats and he does NOT dispappoint......it is faithful and MORE....

It is ONE OF THE MOST LOVING AND HEARTFELT DEDICATIONS TO ADVENTURE CINEMA........EVER!!!

From the gorgeously crafted New York City of the 1930s, to the awe inspiring ( and VERY DAMN SCARY ) Skull Island...this movie BLEEDS beauty......in TORRENTS.

Despite the eventually misdirected character that Jack Black plays ( and he still does a great job!!!! ), like the Lord of the Rings....this cast just plain rocks!!!!!!  These folks put every bit of love and effort into helping Jackson and company realize the greatest film remake ever......

have I praised the details????  like the Sumatran Rat Monkey poster on the ship???  The case of 1928 Thompsons??  THE NAVAL LUGER????

Skull Island.....oh man.....you just have to see it......

I could go on for an hour about how much I loved this film....truly, it's one of the GREATEST movies I have seen since Aliens......but much more light hearted...and yet very serious, poignant and loving in the same breath

SEE IT!!!!

( Dr. Frige......CLOSE YOUR EYES AFTER THE GANG GETS DUMPED INTO THE CANYON..........TRUST ME.....)

Please note, for those of you who are afraid of bugs, the preposterously dangerous use of a Thompson Submachine Gun, and who have small children....the BUG SCENE IS ONE OF THE MOST DISTRUBING THINGS I HAVE SEEN ON FILM IN A LONG, LONG , TIME...not kidding, the whole theater was squirming, looking away and a couple people got the hell up and left the theater for a minute )

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
So..someone has to say it..

What caliber?

*looks at AR15*
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't fricking wait now!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What caliber?

*looks at AR15*

WILL NOT DO...TRUST ME, I WAS THINKING IT THORUGH THE WHOLE MOVIE......
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What caliber?

*looks at AR15*

Well not for King Kong! Who wants to shoot that loveable furry beast. I'm talking 'bout all the lil' critters...or do you actually mean it won't do?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can't fricking wait now!

Dude, there are scenes in this movie that are so lovingly fimed that I nearly wept at the beauty of it all.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]
all the reviews say it is the best movie they have ever seen.  guess its good....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What caliber?

*looks at AR15*

Well not for King Kong! Who wants to shoot that loveable furry beast. I'm talking 'bout all the lil' critters...or do you actually mean it won't do?

The only the thing the AR would work on is the bats and the bugs.....AND YOU HAD BETTER BRING A BETA MAG!!!  ( or ten...or twenty......better have a STELLITE LINED HEAVY BARREL MADE UP....no kidding.....)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
all the reviews say it is the best movie they have ever seen.  guess its good....

it plain ROCKS!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What caliber?

*looks at AR15*

16" HE
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What caliber?

*looks at AR15*

16" HE

Yup...best have a tracked battleship for this little excursion.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow. Looks like I'll shell out for a matinee.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I just don't like the story of King Kong.  

I really don't like it that they rip the giant monkey away from the island and then kill him when he simply acts like a monkey (gorilla, i know).  

The original was cool, but I don't need a remake.  

GIVE US NEW STORIES ALREADY!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds great!  I will definately see it, but it's 3 hours long right?  I start to get fidgety at around 2 hours.  Did the time go by fast?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I really don't like it that they rip the giant monkey away from the island and then kill him when he simply acts like a monkey (gorilla, i know).  

I have a hard time disagreeing with you...but, if you get the hankerin' fer a film this week.....give yourself a treat that you least expect and see this.....I was thinking exactly as you were....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sounds great!  I will definately see it, but it's 3 hours long right?  I start to get fidgety at around 2 hours.  Did the time go by fast?

No and yes, holy shit, yes and then no again and then yes.....

seriously.....it's a long film....and worth it....despite some of the drag, it sets the film up pretty well....not perfect, but very well, nonetheless.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#18]
"From the gorgeously crafted New York City of the 1930s, to the awe inspiring ( and VERY DAMN SCARY ) Skull Island...this movie BLEEDS beauty......in TORRENTS."

Did you really write this review???

Dem words are purty!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

THEY KILL THE MONKEY? Thanks, now that you gave away the effin ending I guess I'll go see the one about the 2 cowboys. I'm a big western fan. So don't ruin it for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"From the gorgeously crafted New York City of the 1930s, to the awe inspiring ( and VERY DAMN SCARY ) Skull Island...this movie BLEEDS beauty......in TORRENTS."

Did you really write this review???

Dem words are purty!

I am a pretty guy....well, for a guy who looks like this:  .
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really don't like it that they rip the giant monkey away from the island ue] and then kill him when he simply acts like a monkey (gorilla, i know).  

THEY KILL THE MONKEY? Thanks, now that you gave away the effin ending I guess I'll go see the one about the 2 cowboys. I'm a big western fan. So don't ruin it for me.

It's gay......
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Right. Gay cowboys. Pretty good joke there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really don't like it that they rip the giant monkey away from the island ue] and then kill him when he simply acts like a monkey (gorilla, i know).  

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll see it tonight  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'll see it tonight  Thanks!

bring a piss bucket....this movie is really long.....I had to keep using the damn bathroom ( do NOT drink a 44 oz gut buster followed by a large movie soda BEFORE the movie...just in case any of you were wondering )
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a hard time disagreeing with you...but, if you get the hankerin' fer a film this week.....give yourself a treat that you least expect and see this.....I was thinking exactly as you were....

Thanks for the review though dude.  I'll probably just see it anyway and close my eyes when the Konger goes down.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Don't listen to him. I'm sure someone like you will just LOVE the film!

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the review though dude.  I'll probably just see it anyway and close my eyes when the Konger goes down.  

I am tellin' ya............never mind....getting vehklempt.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#29]
It was definitly a nod to the original.
Jack Blacks character could have been better cast, the guy's a  B-comedy guy. Kind of like casting Adam Sandler in a serious roll. I kept realizing I could not take him seriously, and as mentioned before, his character was tiring to say the least.
But..the movie was good.
Oh, yeah, hats off to whoever was in charge of "creepy shit". They earned their money.
I thought it was great thay they gave a bunch of Katrina survivors from New Orleans parts as Skull Island natives, they saved a load on make up and wardrobe.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It was definitly a nod to the original.
Jack Blacks character could have been better cast, the guy's a  B-comedy guy. Kind of like casting Adam Sandler in a serious roll. I kept realizing I could not take him seriously, and as mentioned before, his character was tiring to say the least.
But..the movie was good.
Oh, yeah, hats off to whoever was in charge of "creepy shit". They earned their money.
I thought it was great thay they gave a bunch of Katrina survivors from New Orleans parts as Skull Island natives, they saved a load on make up and wardrobe

and they looked the part!!!

HELO...did you get the impression they were what was left of the original civilization gone bad???
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't listen to him. I'm sure someone like you will just LOVE the film!

LOL.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can you not know that they kill the monkey, its a 70 year old movie.

Have you seen the Passion?  if not, here is a spoiler for you - Jesus dies.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Did the movie open with pilots batting a baseball between their bi-planes in flight?

There was a Peter Jackson script for King Kong floating around the internet back when they were beginning filming LotR.  I read that scene and despaired for what this guy would do to the LotR.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Peter Jackson and his long movies has done more for the sale of Depends adult underwear than an AARP magazine full of ads.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Did the movie open with pilots batting a baseball between their bi-planes in flight?

There was a Peter Jackson script for King Kong floating around the internet back when they were beginning filming LotR.  I read that scene and despaired for what this guy would do to the LotR.  

Uhhhh, no....thank God....

there is some ridiculous stuff in the film but it is kept to a minimum

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#37]
No the monkey doesn't die.  He become Darth Vader.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No the monkey doesn't die.  He become Darth Vader.

He wakes up in bed next to Victoria Principal. It was all just a dream.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Saw the movie today.
The Skull Island parts of the movie were just incredible...the natives were beyond scarey, they were like something out of a Clive Barker film.  Very, very creepy.  The dinosaurs and Kong and all the other CGI work was excellent, and the action was great.

The movie was incredibly well-made, but I have to say that...I just didn't like it.  I didn't like the way everything was pussified and PC-ized.  I felt like I was watching a historically revisionist western:  instead of being a straight-up, well-respected movie maker, Denham is a loathesome, sociopathic, narcissist con artist;  instead of being a first mate on a tramp steamer---a rough-around-the-edges man of action---Jack Driscoll is now a "sensitive" playwright; instead of being a frightening monster, Kong is now a playful pet with a temper.  Give me a fucking break.  The original Kong wasn't about how Ann fell in love with Kong, it was how Kong was infatuated with Ann.  Having Ann be so concerned with Kong brought back unwelcome memories of the 1970s piece of shit remake.  

I feel a bit sad about the movie...it was so well-crafted and yet I think Jackson missed the mark here.    Very disappointing after the incredibly high bar he set with the Lord of the Rings movies.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Sounds like Godzilla with Mathew Broderick.

It also sounds like Kong is going to be the bomb at the box office.  I'll pass.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It's nowhere near as bad as Godzilla.  Don't get me wrong...it's not a BAD movie, the way Godzilla was.  It's an excellent piece of movie-making, it's just disappointing for me by comparison with the LOTR movies.  I was expecting a lot and he fell short in some areas.  I'd definitely reccommend you see it---the SFX alone are worth seeing on a big screen.  And I doubt it will be a bomb.  Some people are trumpeting that after a couple days' release, but the movie came out on a school night for God's sake...give it till after the weekend before declaring it a bomb!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's nowhere near as bad as Godzilla.  Don't get me wrong...it's not a BAD movie, the way Godzilla was.  It's an excellent piece of movie-making, it's just disappointing for me by comparison with the LOTR movies.  I was expecting a lot and he fell short in some areas.  I'd definitely reccommend you see it---the SFX alone are worth seeing on a big screen.  And I doubt it will be a bomb.  Some people are trumpeting that after a couple days' release, but the movie came out on a school night for God's sake...give it till after the weekend before declaring it a bomb!

The media is already starting to declare it a bomb.  It's way off on the box office numbers.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Why do we need another redition of King Kong?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Why do we need another redition of King Kong?

That's my feeling.  Just more proof that hollywood is brain dead and can't come up with an original idea.  I've seen it already.  Twice.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I also agree that this is one of the best movies I have seen in a while. My father and I went see it yesterday and he loved it.

The fight seen between Kong and the 3 TRex looking dinosaurs was absolutly fucking awsome Watching him nearly rip them in half by there jaws was great.

And it was also sad, but thats OK sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I like pie.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#47]
It looks mildly decent, but am I the only one thinks the entire idea of King Kong is just kinda lame?  I mean it's a big stupid monkey movie, WTF am I supposed to do, fall all over myself rushing to the theater to flop down $20 and see it?

I'm convinced the Hollyweird dopes are total fools.  $200 million dollar budget??  This is what Peter Jackson wanted to unload on us after LOTR??  

I'm going to download the stupid thing, screw paying money for it...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
It looks mildly decent, but am I the only one thinks the entire idea of King Kong is just kinda lame?  I mean it's a big stupid monkey movie, WTF am I supposed to do, fall all over myself rushing to the theater to flop down $20 and see it?

I'm convinced the Hollyweird dopes are total fools.  $200 million dollar budget??  This is what Peter Jackson wanted to unload on us after LOTR??  

So, I take it your not going on the official ARFCOM Skull Island Safari ??????  Well, looks like Dr. Frige is in.....he'll love Bug Canyon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Seen it today, Loved it. It had a couple of slow points but the action scenes were amazing. Best CG effects I have seen yet. If you don't nitpick it to death you'll love this movie. I could have used more of skull island and less of New York.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Nice  

Don't worry - with more and more people like you STEALING the movie instead of paying to see it, maybe the days of big-budget movies will come to an end soon.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top