Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 5:57:28 AM EDT

an older couple is looking to have a vehicle moved from PA to SC. commercial transport cost is about 650.00 door to door. since i have to get there anyway to visit my parents for the holidays, i'm thinking about just driving it down there for expenses plus airfare back to PA. this should cost them about 400.00.

assuming the vehicle is in good mechanicle shape and can complete the trip, are there any things to watch out for? insurance issues, etc. possible scam scenarios?

thanks..
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#1]
You need papers; registration card and proof of insurance. Make sure everything is current.

Check the car for drugs before you leave.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Never done it for an individual, always did it for a company. But here are somethings you have to have if you are pulled over.

Insurance - now in real life, it doesn't matter who's or who it covers, but I would be sure that they get something that covers you as a driver for that car. It should be cheap since it is only for a few days.

A letter stating ownership, and that you have permission to drive this vehical. I would even go so far as to get it notorized before you go.

I would check the title, though you don't have to have it with you, to prove that either the person getting the car or giving the car are the actual owners.

In addition, get a couple hundred bucks up front to take with you on the trip. You can sign something to the effect if it isn't used, you will return it or whatever, just cover yourself for a breakdown in the boonies, so that you have cash to pay for something. Especially with winter coming up, and having some redneck in a truck tow me out of a ditch for 20 bucks instead of waiting for the 60 dollar wrecker that takes credit cards.

And finally, you can save a few bucks on the ticket if you are willing to find and buy frequent flyer miles from someone. Typically it costs about 150 for a one way flight, 200 for a round trip that way. Even short notice flying.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
an older couple is looking to have a vehicle moved from PA to SC. commercial transport cost is about 650.00 door to door. since i have to get there anyway to visit my parents for the holidays, i'm thinking about just driving it down there for expenses plus airfare back to PA. this should cost them about 400.00.

assuming the vehicle is in good mechanicle shape and can complete the trip, are there any things to watch out for? insurance issues, etc. possible scam scenarios?

thanks..

The price is reasonable... I've done it several times. I wouldn't even think about it for less than $500.
I trailered a car from Reading, PA to St. Paul, Minnesota a few years ago, and most recently trailered one from Reading, PA to Bellingham, WA. The St. Paul run, I charged the guy for time off work, fuel costs, and hotel expenses. I think it was around $800 or so.
The cross country trip to Washington state, I charged $2250.
With fuel cost, and time off work, I think I just barely broke-even...

Another job I did, was hauling a 6600lb underground communications cabinet from Reading, PA to Reno, Nevada and back. Tyco Electronics (my employer at the time) needed it for a prototype show/convention. My job was to transport it to the show, set up the display, take it down afterwards and transport it back to the shop. I towed it with my '97 Chevy Dually.
Tyco paid all my expenses, my weeks wages, and wear/tear on my truck. Total cost for them was approx $5600 round trip. It was still cheaper than the quotes they were getting from trucking companies... The trucking company quotes also didn't include transport off the loading dock or out of the terminal to the show....

Edit to add:
Another thing to consider is... How safe/reliable is the vehicle ? How bad would it suck if the car broke down halfway there ?
In the 6 years my brother has been traveling back and forth from his home in Mooresville, NC to Mom's home here in Reading, PA, he has lost two vehicles to mechanical breakdowns. Both had to be left behind and later retrieved with a truck & trailer. (me)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:05:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an R.V. I need brought up here from Mexico...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
torstin, there is your "Plan B"!

excellent plan!!

actually, i just got back from picking up the vehicle. a 1984 oldmobile toronado. a monstrous front wheel drive luxo crusier. not something i would ever own, but should make for good highway driving. looks to have been very well maintained and garage kept. engine is immaculate. and interior not much further behind. i was really surprised.

it has every possible power gizmo and digital display item. guess that was the trend in the 80s. white with grey leather interior. the perfect retiree or pimp car which im sure will fit right in south carolina.

the owner faxed me the registration, insurance policy# and a letter authorizing transport. my mechanic is going to check it out tomorrow for an oil change and any potential problems. i'll tool around in it over the weekend and see how it goes. if everything is in order, i'll be heading out of town early part of next week.

hopefully i wont need any backup beyond an aaa card and some cash.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Moving (1988) with Richard Pryor as a family guy moving across the country, and a then-little-known Dana Carvey as a college kid who is hired to drive Pryor's Saab 900 convertible cross-country. Funny fucking movie! See it befor you embark on this adventure, torstin!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have an R.V. I need brought up here from Mexico...

Where in Mexico?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a dirty bomb I need brought up here from Mexico...

Where in Mexico?

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I work part time for a company in Mexico, I just take a bus down and they give me a car to drive back. It's a very easy job and I get $500 for delivering the car to whatever address they give me here in the US.
I don't know why...... It must be cheaper to buy the car down there because they sure sell alot of them. The only part that sucks is They make me drive certain roads back and their in the middle of nowhere, nothing to see, nothing to do, It gets pretty boring, and I worry about getting a flat out there cuz they never give me a trunk key....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Does it count if the person didn't know I was "transporting" it for them?

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Rule One: Never change the deal.
Rule Two: No names
Rule Three: never look in the package
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#14]
i was just offered $250 to fly to houston, pick up a kenworth t300 with 365,000 miles on it and drive it 3 hours back here

365,000 isn't alot for a truck, but it is sight-unseen

i'm still pondering but the m1 carbine i have in my sights may sway me
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Moving (1988) with Richard Pryor as a family guy moving across the country, and a then-little-known Dana Carvey as a college kid who is hired to drive Pryor's Saab 900 convertible cross-country. Funny fucking movie! See it befor you embark on this adventure, torstin!

+1.  Great movie.

"Too bad, we're taking it with us!"
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Rule One: Never change the deal.
Rule Two: No names
Rule Three: never look in the package

Ain't that the truth!

Another great movie, BTW.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top