Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 6:53:19 PM EDT
Times Online   December 13, 2005

Big black and bad stereotyping
By Kwame McKenzie
King Kong feeds into all the colonial hysteria about black hyper-sexuality - read Kwame McKenzie's article and send your comments, below
Most black men I know will think twice about going to see King Kong. First because of the story, second because of Peter Jackson's other recent blockbuster movies.

The story feeds into all the colonial hysteria about black hyper-sexuality.  This imagery has a long history and is difficult to shift.

It was so pervasive and prevalent even in the 17th century that Shakespeare could write Othello knowing that his audience would understand the Moor stereotype.  As Kristin Johnsen-Neshati, Associate Professor of Theatre at George Mason University notes in her writing on the subject: "Moors were commonly stereotyped as sexually overactive, prone to jealousy and generally wicked. The public associated 'blackness' with moral corruption, citing examples from Christian theology to support the view that whiteness was the sign of purity, just as blackness indicated sin."

It is so pervasive that after fronting a pop psychology TV series a decade ago as a psychiatrist I was offered a 20 part series on sex.

The story also touches the raw nerve of the Darwin-based association between black men and apes. Though the monkey noises and the discussion about whether Africans are the missing link between apes and humans may be out of the classroom, it still has to be endured by black footballers when they travel to away games.

Peter Jackson used the same hackneyed stereotypes for the Lord of the Rings triology.  The most fearsome baddies were big black and just a bit too Maori looking, the good guys - well white.

So when King Kong unfolded and the 1930s New York crowd scenes were almost devoid  of black faces, rather than the 15 per cent you would have expected, and when the first black actors had small non-speaking parts - dancers and the only major black character was the strong caring second officer to the ship's captain - the good and dutiful slave stereotype - I was squirming in my seat.  If I had not been at a premier with my transfixed son I would have been out of the door soon after the wide eyed, homicidal, half dressed, blacker than black natives of Skull Island started cavorting one hour in.

I was lucky that my paternal instinct to stay and explain this to my son at the end got the better of me, because the next two hours were fabulous.

Though it was always impossible for the film not to endorse the black male stereotype, and one has to ask why Jackson so wanted to make King Kong as opposed to anything else, his attempt to shelve the lust angle and portray the relationship between Kong and Darrow (played by Naomi Watts) as owner and favourite pet - in that order - worked.  The cinematography was excellent and my worst fears were not realised.

But I could not help but feel that if Jackson had put as much thought into the rest of the racial imagery as he did into the relationship between Kong and Darrow this could have gone down as a much less offensive film. As it is it leaves a bitter sweet taste in my mouth and a complex discussion on negative stereotypes that I have had to have with my son.

It left me thinking, that if censors look at violence, sex, and sexual violence when giving a certificate why do they not look at negative racial stereotypes?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#1]
whatever
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
just saw it.  Great flick.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember when Return of the King was racist?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking it is more like the person who wrote that article is a racist.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
It is a remake.  he followed the original story line and just updated the graphics and sound.  What's the problem......

The movie is made to the book, just as in LOTR.  If you have a problem, take it up with the author.

This hypersensitivity is getting beyond rediculous.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#9]
attention whore
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Some people just live for something to bitch about
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#11]
When all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't seen this remake yet.....is Naomi Watts as good a screamer as Fay Wray was?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

By Kwame McKenzie

Kwame: Surely there is no bias in my opinion!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure if it's the same guy...

Kwame McKenzie is Senior Lecturer in Psychiatry at the Royal Free and University College Medical School. He is one of the founding members of the Social Capital Forum at King's College London and advises the World Bank on this subject. He is Assistant Editor of the British Journal of Psychiatry, having previously edited The Practitioner.

Another site listed him as a Senior Lecturer in Transcultural Psychiatry. Isn't that like guys that were born women in men's bodies or something?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Kwame McKenzie

Wonder if it is the same guy....

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Kwame McKenzie

Wonder if it is the same guy....

www.turner.com/planet/static/graphics/kwame.gif

Most likely.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I haven't seen this remake yet.....is Naomi Watts as good a screamer as Fay Wray was?

I don't know about the movie, but in my bed she is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top