Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 6:48:10 PM EDT
I installed v1.5, with the impression that the lame-ass memory leak was addressed in this release.  20 minutes after starting it, I am using 210MB of memory, and the more tabs I open the slower it gets.  

I thought the whole point of 1.5 was to remove this leak, which has been there forever.  WTF?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Even with the memory leak its still miles better then Explorer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Just get Opera and be done with it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Plus a billion.  Mojira is OK but Opera did it first, and did it better.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I went to the opera once, not bad. Wife enjoyed it. But that the fuck does that have to do with surfing the internet. Are you implying just give up the internet all together?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Mozilla is at version 1.7.12

Why did you install 1.5??

Mozilla
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been using firefox and it's not too bad.  I haven't had a single crash yet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went to the opera once, not bad. Wife enjoyed it. But that the fuck does that have to do with surfing the internet. Are you implying just give up the internet all together?

Hope you're kidding... but if you're not, www.opera.com
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Firefox  <--- Click Me

Opera  <--- Click Me

Netscape  <--- Click Me
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope you're kidding... but if you're not, www.opera.com

*heh* I was kidding. I used Opera once, then switched to FireFox because it was free.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
ANYONE ELSE LOSE THIER bookmarks every now and then..?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Safari - the best browser there is.

Konquerer isnt bad either.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Mozilla

That's Mozilla, not Mozilla Firefox.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Maxthon. I cant stand FF.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]
PeteCO mentioned MOZILLA.
He did not say FIREFOX.
If he had said FIREFOX, then I would not have posted.
Next time, I will try harder to read people's minds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Mozilla

I meant Firefox.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Now you tell me!

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I dont recal anyone saying the memory leak was to be resolved with 1.5.

For me it a non issue though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm making this post from Opera.  It's a little clunky for me, but I am going to give it a shot.  

Is there any way to drag the tabs bar above the address/navigation bar?  I can't seem to find a way to do that yet, though I have already customized many of the buttons, etc.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Ugh.  I've discovered that Opera has one of the "features" of Firefox 1.5 that makes it so annoying - when I refresh a page, rather than just replace the old content with the new (like the old Firefox), both 1.5 and Opera insist on displaying a bright white screen and then reloading the document.  

Little stuff like that annoys the piss out of me.  Especially when browsing Arfcom, with its darker colors.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Firefox is great, but you found its Achilles heal.  It doesn't give RAM back to the OS so when, for example, I look at some of my large 200Mbyte reports, XP will die after looking at a few reports.  What you're seeing is not a leak.  It's a deliberate design decision.  There is a memory leak with certain versions, but it doesn't sound like the problem you're having.  Firefox's design plus XP's horrible handling of virtual memory is a disaster, as you are seeing.  I have to use MSIE to view larger reports since it frees-up RAM much faster.  For everything else though Firefox is great.

Thunderbird is a nice e-mail client, but has the same sort of problems.  Right now on my system Thunderbird is using almost 700 Mbytes of RAM.  Now that is ridiculous.z
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

*heh* I was kidding. I used Opera once, then switched to FireFox because it was free.

Opera is now free, no ads.

They changed that a few months ago.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

just happened to me last week
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#25]
what actially is a " memory leak"  and how do you check and see if you are having this problem?
i use mozzila firefox and don't have any problems.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I use Maxthon. I cant stand FF.

+1

I have been using it for a few months now.  Opera and FF both would take more and more memory the longer they ran and would slow way down.  I haven't restarted my computer since 12/5 and have 4 Maxthon windows open with 17, 14,10 and 7 tabs open.  Looking in task manager maxthon apps is using 21meg, 17meg, 11meg and 8meg of memory.  Usually with opera and firefox they would both be over 100meg by now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I use Mozilla, and am for the most part quite happy with it.

It is a much more mature, more sophisticated browser than Firefox.

Get regular Mozilla. It is the continued development of the original Netscape code. Every now and then Netscape takes the latest version of Mozilla, sticks their logo on it, and calls it "Netscape".
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:20:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Firefox is great, but you found its Achilles heal.  It doesn't give RAM back to the OS so when, for example, I look at some of my large 200Mbyte reports, XP will die after looking at a few reports.  What you're seeing is not a leak.  It's a deliberate design decision.  There is a memory leak with certain versions, but it doesn't sound like the problem you're having.  Firefox's design plus XP's horrible handling of virtual memory is a disaster, as you are seeing.  I have to use MSIE to view larger reports since it frees-up RAM much faster.  For everything else though Firefox is great.
.....z

So, how do you solve this?  English, please, for the non-techno-geeks among us (including me).

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:31:34 AM EDT
[#29]

So, how do you solve this? English, please, for the non-techno-geeks among us (including me).

I don't think there is a solution since it's not a Firefox problem.  XP just doesn't handle large amounts of memory very well.  I've got 3Gbytes in my system, but it swaps like hell when 1Gbyte of it is used.  At times Windows doesn't respond for 30-45 seconds.  Even the mouse cursor stops working.  On another system we have, when Battlefield2 is run on it, XP swaps sometimes even though BF2 uses only ~0.75 Gbytes of RAM and the system has a total of 2Gbytes.  When running Firefox under Linux it uses about the same amount of RAM on my big reports as it does under XP, but Linux handles it much better.  Firefox on Macs is schizophrenic.  Sometimes it's as fast as Linux and other times it's as slow as under Windows.

To put it a different way, the Firefox guys choose speed over size.z
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.....z

So, how do you solve this?  English, please, for the non-techno-geeks among us (including me).

Thanks,

Merlin

it only takes up that much memory if you leave the browser open for long peroids of time.    close the browser every half an our or so reopen it and you will be fine.  

my alternate browser in linux and windoz is opera
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
.....z

Thanks,

Merlin

it only takes up that much memory if you leave the browser open for long peroids of time.    close the browser every half an our or so reopen it and you will be fine.  

I leave my PC on and my browser open all the time.  Having to save the set of tabs I have open and then reopen them is a lame ass workaround.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
.....z

Thanks,

Merlin

I leave my PC on and my browser open all the time.  Having to save the set of tabs I have open and then reopen them is a lame ass workaround.

Having to close your browser every half hour IMO is not an acceptable solution...

If the folks working on Firefox have not fixed this problem by now it likely means they don’t know how to fix it, at least without breaking something else or doing a major rewrite. They have know about this problem for at least a year and still no fix… makes you wonder what is going on.

Give Opera a try.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just happened to me last week

Me too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#34]
And ill say it again. Give Maxthon a try.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:07:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
.....z

Thanks,

Merlin

Having to close your browser every half hour IMO is not an acceptable solution...

If the folks working on Firefox have not fixed this problem by now it likely means they don’t know how to fix it, at least without breaking something else or doing a major rewrite. They have know about this problem for at least a year and still no fix… makes you wonder what is going on.

Give Opera a try.

the last time i checked firefox is FREE.   they accept donations to further enhance the browser, and fix problems, if you haven't donated you have no right to bit*h!!!!  

you can also upgrade your ram, all my systems have at least a Gb of ram.   ram is cheap now adays
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:45:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Did you ever think that the reason there are so many browsers to choose from is because NONE of them have got it right, yet??

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a feeling that the memory problem attributed to firefox might be due to one of the extensions that is installed, or a combination of extensions. The extensions are usually written by people who just want to make things easier for themselves, and then upload them so that anyone can use them. I don't know how much testing is done on these extensions but I would guess very little.

There are just too many people that report the problem, and just as many who say they don't experience it. Some users seem to report that the memory problem gets worse when browsing sites that use a lot of JPGs. It may not be a firefox issue as the last I saw on their Forums, a couple of months ago, was that they have been unable to replicate the problem. I'm sure they are testing the native release of Firefox, without any extensions installed, since the extensions aren't their responsibility.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
what actially is a " memory leak"  and how do you check and see if you are having this problem?

Most modern programming languages allow you to dynamically allocate memory as needed. You don't have to declare all the storage you're going to need ahead of time. What happens - with bad programming - is that once the allocated memory is longer needed, it's supposed to be freed up. It's the programmer's job to unlink the unused memory and declare it so. What can happen is that the link to a memory element is lost, but the memory not declared free. As far as the system is concerned, it's still in use. Repeat this process thosands of times, and things go bad in a hurry.

[Edited to add] How do you check for this problem? A true memory leak will continue to eat up RAM. You can check for it that way. If the memory usage just swells and stays high (but doesn't continue to increase) then you just have a very memory-hungry application (either bad programming, or just a fact of life)
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Typically, it is when an application or program fails to release the memory after it is done using it. If you open task manager, and select the PROCESS tab. Keep it open and watch the MEM USAGE column for the firefox.exe program. Typically, firefox uses about 25,000-40,000K of memory, depending on the number of Tabs open. If after you've done some browsing, you see the amount of memory increasing, then you have the problem. Right now, after about 2 hrs of browsing, with 5 tabs open, my memory usage is 124,400K, which indicates that something in firefox isn't releasing memory after using it. This isn't a problem on the PC I'm using now, since it has over 1gb of memory installed, and wouldn't be a problem unless I try to open a number of other programs, or more tabs.

On my old laptop that only has 128mb of memory, after about an hour of browsing, memory usage increases from 30mb to over 70mb, and all programs come to a screaching halt as WinXP tries to use  virtual memory on disk. Using virtual memory will hang the PC while data is written/read from the disk. On my laptop, it can take minutes for this to happen and release control back to me once it starts, and anytime you click on anything, it hangs again while it writes/reads the disk.

ETA: Damn, Zhukov beat me to it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top