Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 5:08:45 PM EDT
I just saw something about this on TV. Any word on how the are doing in Iraq?

M-1117 Armored Security Vehicle (ASV)

ASV M-1117 Armored Security Vehicle developed by Textrone Marine and Land Systems (Formerly Cadilac Gage) is a highly mobile, survivable and C-130 transportable 4X4 wheeled vehicle currently in production for the U.S. Army's Military Police. The vehicle uses modular, expandable, ceramic and composite appliqué armor, made by Simula (of the Armor Holding Group) to protect the front, rear and sides of the crew compartment with protection from .50-caliber armor-piercing ammunition.

Additionally, the ASV offers defense from 155mm artillery shell fragments overhead and 12-pound mine blasts under each wheel. Standard issues on US Army ASVs, are grenade launcher and machine gun. The vehicle costs about $600,000 each. The US Army ordered 69 vehicles, of which 63 are already deployed in Iraq by April 2004. With the new order of 28 vehicles, Textron now has a total order for 67 for these vehicles, which are planned for delivery this year.

In December 2004 Textron was awarded two follow-up contracts to deliver a total of 50 M-1117 ASVs for operations in Iraq, bringing the total vehicles ordered or delivered to date to 182. 77 vehicles are currently operational in Iraq. The company plans to accelerate production up to 36 vehicles per month by the end of 2005, if required.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, my unit at Ft.Hood got these in 02 and we tested the hell out of them.  It was decided that we didn't need them and that we would not be getting any more.  I'm off Active now and my buds say they did pretty good in Iraq and are suprisingly resistant to RPG hits.  It's a three man vehicle but it's very cramped and doesn't offer the crew a convenient way to escape in the event of a fire.  I did like the electric AC'd turret with the Mk19 and M2 .50 cal though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting out during a fire sounds pretty important.  How does the protection compare to an up armored Humvee?  What about compared to a Striker?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Better than a M114 but not as good as a Stryker from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Does the day crew have insight into this thing?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top