Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 5:06:37 PM EDT
how big a deal is this? Curious
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]

It depends how screwed up the alignment of the scope mounting holes on your receiver are for the most part. It is always a good idea if you are putting together a "keeper" rifle that will really shoot. Burris makes rings with inserts that do the same thing by just installing them and allow you to shim the scope if you need to with different size inserts. Signature rings.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
how big a deal is this? Curious

Might as well ask about breaking in rifles.  Some folks swear by it, some say it's unnecessary.

I do it to all the rifles I put together.  You'd be surprised at the variance this process shows in bases/rings. Even high end ones.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I got my ring lapping kit in the mail yesterday and I dragged a couple of rifles out of the safe.
I did the rings on my AR and I like how it came out, cool
I remove the scope from my 10/22 and I check the alignment and holy crap the alignment is off, way off. I play around with it for a few minutes and there is no way to fix it.
That's what I get for cheap rings.
My next buy is better rings.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I once lapped the rings on my rifle.... but the lapping removed the anti-corrosion coating for the rings and they rusted like a cheap nail.  It doens't hurt performance, but how much it helps is a matter of opinion.  YMMV.  I would do it again, but only on Aluminum rings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top