Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 3:52:29 PM EDT
So I drop into the Home Despot [sic] nearest my work tonight to return about $10 worth of stuff.  This is not the store from which I purchased the items but it's more convenient than any of the other stores.  So I set the stuff on the counter and this older fellow saunters over and scans my receipts and says "Huh, not from our store."  

Me: "Does that mean I can't return it here?"
Him: "No but I don't like it.  It takes away from my profits and my bonus."
Me:
Him:  "I guess we're in the right place for returns but not for purchases"
Me: "Wow, you're right.  Look at all these people with carts full of returns from other stores."

Against my better judgement I buy a $15 toolbox.  I hope that he gets his full bonus percentage of that $5 difference.

Asshat.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]

My wife is meeting with one of the EVPs of Home Depot tomorrow - you want me to make a call?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you expect for a $7.00 an hour cashier?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
What's it matter to the guy working the customer service counter which store you got it at?  How exactly is it gonna affect his bonus that he took a return from another HD store?

Looks to me like the guy is simply trying to get you to go to the original store to do the return so he doesn't have to work the cash register.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Should have talked to the manager, I know if I had pulled some stunt like that at my job my manager would have fired me on the spot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't sound like a real HD employee!    Possibly a zombie.

You should have asked for the manager because that's just uncalled for.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
You're alot nicer than me.

I wouldn't have bought a toolbox and my reply to his surly-assed attitude woulda been "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, You wanna give me my fucking refund please?"

But that's just me.

SG
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Doesn't sound like a real HD employee!    Possibly a zombie.

You should have asked for the manager because that's just uncalled for.

Or have gone to the shovel isle, that's the place to find a good implement for dealing with zombies.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What's it matter to the guy working the customer service counter which store you got it at?  How exactly is it gonna affect his bonus that he took a return from another HD store?

Home Depot stores work on a profit margin.  
If the store sells an item the store turns a profit.

If the store takes an item back (for whatever reason) that was purchased at that specific Home Depot store it's a wash.

If the store takes an item back (for whatever reason) that was purchased at another Home Depot store then the store loses money (until that item is resold).

Home Depot employees get a "bonus" based on how much money their store makes over their sales plan.

Enough returns from other stores can affect a stores bonus.

The guy was an asshat, but he didn't bother you enough for you to talk to his supervisor or the store manager, or to tell him to shove his bonus up his ass, walk out of the store after you got your refund and not buying the toolbox, or to strip naked, grab your AR15 with a loaded 30 round mag and run around the store bump-firing it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I know when I worked at radio shack a few years ago. If somone returned somthing from aother store it would go aginst us and lower our pay check for the week, but we would get it back the following week. If it was small stuff we didn't worry about it, but when a computer or stereo system would come back. We would make the manger take care of it so it wouldn't go against our pay(sales people).
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The guy was an asshat, but he didn't bother you enough for you to talk to his supervisor or the store manager, or to tell him to shove his bonus up his ass, walk out of the store after you got your refund and not buying the toolbox, or to strip naked, grab your AR15 with a loaded 30 round mag and run around the store bump-firing it.

Damn it!  Where were you when I could have *used* this advice?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top