Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2005 2:36:47 PM EDT
What is the going price dealers are charging customers to do internet sale transfers?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
transfer prices are controlled by your local gunshop. The seller only charges shipping prices.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on which dealer you ask. In my area, I've seen it range from $5 to $25.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I pay $25 here in Mesquite, Texas. Store across town wants $45, so it varies from place to place.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]
My dealer gets $7 for one gun or $10 for more than one gun.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#5]
$25-$45. ...also depends on how many at a time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't mean to open a can of worms, but this happened to me today. Guy buys Glock on internet for $449.00 + $18.50 shipping, I charge him $25.00 for the transfer for a total of $492.50. I run a gunshop and sell my Glocks $519.99 which is a very fair price. If I am going to do the same amount of book keeping and only make $25 instead of my meager profit for selling the same item, why even sell guns?

1. Guy buys gun at cost from "wholesaler" cutting out middleman........
2. Has gun shipped to middle man anyway................
3. Goes to middleman to get gun, middleman does same paperwork...........
4. middle man only makes $7.00(as some do).................?????
5. Gun shop goes out of business for not making any money????

What the fuck is wrong with this picture!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to Auction Arms or Gun Broker and search "Find an FFL" they will give you a list of dealers who do transfers and how much they charge.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]
$25
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Go to Auction Arms or Gun Broker and search "Find an FFL" they will give you a list of dealers who do transfers and how much they charge.

Yeah I forgot about that one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I pay $25 here in Mesquite, Texas. Store across town wants $45, so it varies from place to place.

Tha Armory?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't mean to open a can of worms, but this happened to me today. Guy buys Glock on internet for $449.00 + $18.50 shipping, I charge him $25.00 for the transfer for a total of $492.50. I run a gunshop and sell my Glocks $519.99 which is a very fair price. If I am going to do the same amount of book keeping and only make $25 instead of my meager profit for selling the same item, why even sell guns?

The guy that does my $7 transfers is a pawn broker. He makes almost no money off of guns. He once told me that if anyone was cheaper he would match and beat there price. His main source of income is pawns.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah but what about the gunshops that are not pawnshops? Alot of people don't want to deal with that kind of clientel.

edit......why sell something you make nothing off of?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tha Armory?

Yep, thats the one. The $45 dollar one is B&S Guns in case anyone wants to know.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#14]
we charge $25
I haved shipped guns to cali and NJ and had the guys saying they were paying $75 to $100
some guys out there charge 10% of the guns value plus like $20-50
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yeah but what about the gunshops that are not pawnshops? Alot of people don't want to deal with that kind of clientel.

Why did you agree to do the transfer then?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Lowest was $15 at a local pawnshop.  Usual is $20-$25.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are not illing to do the paperwork for $25 then up the price or stop doing transfers. Although that course of action may get you labeled as a bad gun shop to do business with.

You should do the transfers and take the opportunity to make an impression on the customer that your a good , knowledgable , friendly guy and I would think you would see some of these guys coming back and giving you more business. I support the good local dealers, because I like them, even though I can get stuff cheaper online. IMHO
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#18]
One guy in town will do transfers . $25 if you do all the tracking down and payment and just send it to him . $50 if he makes the calls .

He also stocks the cheapest plinking ammo in town , and I spend the majority of my gun bunny cash in his shop .
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Even $7 (which is an absurdly low fee) for a transfer is about $28 an hour, and it's nearly free money for the dealer. He has no outlay for inventory, no money in shipping, no shelf or safe space tied up, and no money tied up in the inventory while waiting for someone who wants a Thompson Contender .700 Nitro Express to wander in.

While there are lots of people on this board who use dealers for transfers, you have to remember that in addition to being paragons of morality, sexual prowess, and intellectual rigor, we on Arfcom are also fairly sophisticated when it comes to firearms. While the amount of transfer business doubtless varies from shop to shop, I'd bet that overall a very small percentage of firearms transactions are transfers.

It can't be that bad a thing in any event. Remember, it's only the friggin federal government that guarantees them a toll on the transfer. How in the world do fishing tackle stores stay open????!!!!! After all, participants in the <VPC> largely unregulated multibillion dollar recreational fish-murdering industry can buy their tools of death </VPC> direct from manufacturers and private owners - even across state lines - without paying anybody to oversee it. Are the places that sell rods & reels going under?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That's why I wouldn't ever ask my local dealer to do a transfer unless it was some kind of an odd ball gun.  To ask a dealer to transfer a Glock that he probably has several of sitting in his display is a slap in the face.  If I were a dealer I would only do transfers on a limited basis, for odd ball guns and I'm sure I would do them for good customers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I wouldn't ever ask my local dealer to do a transfer unless it was some kind of an odd ball gun.  To ask a dealer to transfer a Glock that he probably has several of sitting in his display is a slap in the face.  

+1. The guys at "my" shop treat me right, so I try to treat them right. Now, if I find a truly great deal on a gun - even one they carry - they are tickled pink to do the transfer for me. OTOH, I would never walk in there (or anywhere else, in view of the kind of service they've given me over the years) to effect a transfer that would save me $25 or even $50 on a gun they carry. I'm willing to pay extra for the service, and I'm happy for fellow gun guys (whom I like) to make a buck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:48:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I wouldn't ever ask my local dealer to do a transfer unless it was some kind of an odd ball gun.  To ask a dealer to transfer a Glock that he probably has several of sitting in his display is a slap in the face.  If I were a dealer I would only do transfers on a limited basis, for odd ball guns and I'm sure I would do them for good customers.

That is a good pount . I have never and never will ask Phill to transfer something he has sitting in his case .
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I wouldn't ever ask my local dealer to do a transfer unless it was some kind of an odd ball gun.  To ask a dealer to transfer a Glock that he probably has several of sitting in his display is a slap in the face.   If I were a dealer I would only do transfers on a limited basis, for odd ball guns and I'm sure I would do them for good customers.

This is exactly what I was talking about. I totally agree. I don't mine the transfers at all, it bring revenue in in slow times and it is sort of "free money." To quote some one else, I also have the cheapest plinking in town beside wallyworld and I offer a wealth of knowledge which reflects my reputation. This is the first case like this I have ran across and did not know what I was transferring until it arrived. To top it off the guy DROVE 70 MILES TO GET IT!! He was not even local and passed several other gunshops to get to mine. I guess I need to start inquiring what is being transfered and price accordingly. Flat fee on odd/collectible and a percentage on new stuff.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even $7 (which is an absurdly low fee) for a transfer is about $28 an hour, and it's nearly free money for the dealer. He has no outlay for inventory, no money in shipping, no shelf or safe space tied up, and no money tied up in the inventory while waiting for someone who wants a Thompson Contender .700 Nitro Express to wander in.

While there are lots of people on this board who use dealers for transfers, you have to remember that in addition to being paragons of morality, sexual prowess, and intellectual rigor, we on Arfcom are also fairly sophisticated when it comes to firearms. While the amount of transfer business doubtless varies from shop to shop, I'd bet that overall a very small percentage of firearms transactions are transfers.

It can't be that bad a thing in any event. Remember, it's only the friggin federal government that guarantees them a toll on the transfer. How in the world do fishing tackle stores stay open????!!!!! After all, participants in the <VPC>

largely unregulated multibillion dollar recreational fish-murdering industry can buy their tools of death
</VPC> direct from manufacturers and private owners - even across state lines - without paying anybody to oversee it. Are the places that sell rods & reels going under?

May be free money but if the middleman still has to do the same work/paperwork/transfer as he does on one he has in inventory, why the hell do you even need inventory then if your not going to make nothing off of it? Don't take a brainiac to figure that one out!

tools of death, fish murdering??  You support guns but not fishing??
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Woot I pay nothing

I guess having a best friend for an FFL does have some perks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It can't be that bad a thing in any event. Remember, it's only the friggin federal government that guarantees them a toll on the transfer. How in the world do fishing tackle stores stay open????!!!!! After all, participants in the <VPC>

largely unregulated multibillion dollar recreational fish-murdering industry can buy their tools of death
</VPC> direct from manufacturers and private owners - even across state lines - without paying anybody to oversee it. Are the places that sell rods & reels going under?

May be free money but if the middleman still has to do the same work/paperwork/transfer as he does on one he has in inventory, why the hell do you even need inventory then if your not going to make nothing off of it? Don't take a brainiac to figure that one out!

tools of death, fish murdering??  You support guns but not fishing??

It's a joke. Google "VPC."
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Excuse my ignorance..............
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I charge $5-$25, usually $20 on a routine transfer.  I'm won't charge someone $25 to transfer a $100 gun or receiver.  I have the transferee do his own deal and mailing, etc.  My only work is receiving the shipment and handling the 4473 and background check.  I've never had anyone complain about my fees.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#29]
This was a unique occurrance that got me thinking. The gun business, as we all know is not the most profitable one to be in and we sure don't need to loose more money.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:05:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I pay $25.00 here in PA
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This was a unique occurrance that got me thinking. The gun business, as we all know is not the most profitable one to be in and we sure don't need to loose more money.

Actually all retail stores are losing money to internet sales, but the gun business is about the only one where you have to pick up your internet purchase at your local retailer.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I knew of one shop that did transfers for guns that they carried at $50, guns that they didn't have in stock but could order themselves for $30, and if it was a gun they could not easily get a hold of, free. I think they went out of buisness though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I think it would be fair to say $50 for new gun transfers and $25 for used/collectable/unique/receivers will become my new policy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I think it would be fair to say $50 for new gun transfers and $25 for used/collectable/unique/receivers will become my new policy.

Fifty seems a little steep. You may turn off customers who might buy other supplies while picking up a transfer in your shop.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fifty seems a little steep. You may turn off customers who might buy other supplies while picking up a transfer in your shop.

Not when they could have bought it from me instead of cutting out my profit for maintaining a place for them to get them to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the point.  They can go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not when they could have bought it from me instead of cutting out my profit for maintaining a place for them to get them to begin with.

It's a free market.  I don't buy anything at gun shops because the owners think they are doing you a favor with over priced goods.  I just go to FFL's who do business by appointment at their home.  At $10-$15 a transfer you can't beat it and they don't even have to leave their house.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

It's a free market.  I don't buy anything at gun shops because the owners think they are doing you a favor with over priced goods.  I just go to FFL's who do business by appointment at their home.  At $10-$15 a transfer you can't beat it and they don't even have to leave their house.

It is a free market and you can do exactly like you said.  I feel bad for you guys that complain about not having a good dealer near you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Charge?!? I thought the dealer was suppossed to pay you for the courtesy of frequenting his shop.

You should at least get a Free Coke.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Charge?!? I thought the dealer was suppossed to pay you for the courtesy of frequenting his shop.

Never understood why no one thinks a gun dealer is not supposed to make a FAIR profit. If you knew you were paying 200 -300 % profit on the clothes you wear would you kep buying them? Why are we any different and can't make 20 - 30%?  I am the cheapest and only gunshop in our town. I have Walmart beat on a large percentage of products but it comes at a cost of LOW, LOW profit!! Would be a pretty boring world if all you had to deal with was "basement dealers"!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never understood why no one thinks a gun dealer is not supposed to make a FAIR profit. If you knew you were paying 200 -300 % profit on the clothes you wear would you kep buying them? Why are we any different and can't make 20 - 30%?  I am the cheapest and only gunshop in our town. I have Walmart beat on a large percentage of products but it comes at a cost of LOW, LOW profit!! Would be a pretty boring world if all you had to deal with was "basement dealers"!

20%?!? I hope you are pointing a gun when you charge those ripoff prices.

Jesus Christ, 20%....on a $300 gun you are making like $60 you criminal. You should simply transfer ALL firearms AT dealer price + maybe $15 or so but only if you really go the extra mile on customer service and truly deserve it. If you really are a good dealer you will make it all up in volume.

I don't know WHAT makes dealers think they are entitled to make any more than say $10 on ANY gun sale.

God you are almost as bad as the local pizzeria. I went in there the other day with flour, sauce and cheese and simply wanted them to transfer it into a pizza and they wouldn't do it. Wanted me to buy what THEY had in inventory....fucking crooks just wanna rip people off....$9.00 for a fucking pizza that has like $5.00 worth of ingredients. Bastards.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus Christ, 20%....on a $300 gun you are making like $60 you criminal. You should simply transfer ALL firearms AT dealer price + maybe $15 or so but only if you really go the extra mile on customer service and truly deserve it. If you really are a good dealer you will make it all up in volume.

I don't know WHAT makes dealers think they are entitled to make any more than say $10 on ANY gun sale.

God you are almost as bad as the local pizzeria. I went in there the other day with flour, sauce and cheese and simply wanted them to transfer it into a pizza and they wouldn't do it. Wanted me to buy what THEY had in inventory....fucking crooks just wanna rip people off....$9.00 for a fucking pizza that has like $5.00 worth of ingredients. Bastards.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Are you guys immune to sarcasm or what?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Yeah, you sell your Glocks at 519 which is a decent price, but some other asshole is charging 650 for the same gun. People dont want to get shafted. Too many gun dealers try and rip people off every chance they get.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, you sell your Glocks at 519 which is a decent price, but some other asshole is charging 650 for the same gun. People dont want to get shafted. Too many gun dealers try and rip people off every chance they get.

Believe me I could not agree more. Most Gun dealers I have ever met are total assholes and wouldn't know one if they stuck their nose in one. I treat my customers with respect and honesty, that is why I have a great reputation as not ripping people off. We are very knowledgeable, more than most, but don't claim to know everything and I will certainly tell you if I don't know. Don't want to look like an ass telling you a bunch of bullshit which you know is not true or would find out later it's not. Poeple are not that stupid. I am always willing to learn and my customers teach me alot.
I just wish the gun industry could stick together for the better of all and not be a f*#k your buddy industry. But I guess that is the price of free interprise!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#47]
$25 maximium  any higher and the person is being a greedy prick.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
$25 maximium  any higher and the person is being a greedy prick.

I agree, that is a fair profit for a Barrett M82A1 at dealer price.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Mabe it's not a popular opinion, but I'm entirely in favor of price competition.  Local merchants are always complaining about Internet vendors stealing their profits, but I can't figure out why.

Consider that for any Internet gun purchase, the customer probably has to add at least $45 in expenses--plus they have to wait at least a week until they get their gun, and they don't get to see and handle it before they buy it.  On the other hand, to buy locally, they need to add sales tax. which will probably range $20-40 for a fairly inexpensive gun.

Notice that your price 'should' be slighter lower than the Internet merchant.  If it isn't, congratulations!  Someone else is selling the same product for less than you are!

One might think, "I charge more because I have to provide customer service and a storefront whereas an Internet merchant doesn't."  If this is the case, and if its leading to you being significantly undercut, consider not providing service.  Or perhaps you should sell only on the Internet as well; you wouldn't even have to get dressed to go to work.

So, I'm sorry that local merchants feel they're getting screwed, just like I'm sorry that horse carriage makers felt they were screwed by the automobile, like whalers by petroleum, lke armorers by gunpowder, like radio by the TV, like the music publishers by the Internet.  But this is the free market, and I like it the way it is.  For the rest of you, consider moving to China before they abandon communism entirely.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top