Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 1:42:28 PM EDT
We had a minor situation at work last week with a piece of computer hardware that had a problem. We contacted tech support on the issue, and they resolved the problem but were not able to give us an explanation as to what caused the problem. The tech support people sent a bunch of information to the product engineers who are attempting to determine the cause of the problem. Well, the project manager just walked into the conference room that I have been stuck in and announced that "No one is going home until we have some answers on this".

Sorry to break the news to you pal, but there is nothing I can do to make the vendor's engineers peddle faster. It's not like he doesn't fully understand this fact either. But hey, if he wants to watch me sit here and collect $50 an hour then that's fine by me.

Anyone else work with folks who have too much acting in their blood?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We had a minor situation at work last week with a piece of computer hardware that had a problem. We contacted tech support on the issue, and they resolved the problem but were not able to give us an explanation as to what caused the problem. The tech support people sent a bunch of information to the product engineers who are attempting to determine the cause of the problem. Well, the project manager just walked into the conference room that I have been stuck in and announced that "No one is going home until we have some answers on this".

Sorry to break the news to you pal, but there is nothing I can do to make the vendor's engineers peddle faster. But hey, if he wants to watch me sit here and collect $50 an hour then that's fine by me.

I don't know if you intended that pun, but it's funny as all hell!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any women in my department anymore, so I haven't had to deal with needless drama for quite some time!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"No one is going home until we have some answers on this".

What a daring display of leadership.

He'll be bragging about that line for years.

Go and tell him right now, some random guy on the internet thinks he's a chode.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
what company do you work for? any openings for electrical or software engineers? I can get paid to do nothing...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I work in an office full of wimmen.  "Drama Queen" is a pretty accurate label for 90% of them.  There is always some sort of feud going on, catty remarks, back-stabbing.  It's like a damn soap opera.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, the solution sounds simple enough: Make something up!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

................Anyone else work with folks who have too much acting in their blood?

Oooooooh yeah. As soon as you learn how to ignore him the better off you'll feel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]
That sounds like a great time to go take a shit on company time.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've isolated your problems for you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Just tell him, "Let me know how that works out for you," and leave. What an ass.

When I worked at a dot-com there was a CEO who was always full of shit like that. He once demanded some PeopleSoft consultants spend an entire weekend (18 hour days) writing this one complicated report.

They stuck it out (at $225/hour) and got the report done. The CEO glanced at the report for the next two consecutive weekly meetings then never asked for it again because the numbers were so shitty.

I hate princess leaders who throw down their gloves at the smallest inconvenience or obstacle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Leave for a day or two, come back for one, then leave again. When he say's "you have been missing a lot of work lately" you reply "well, I wouldn't exactly say I was missing it"...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Tell him that you believe he has your stapler.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#13]
New product being rolled out at our overseas sub contractor. One part does not fit so our manufacturing engineer sends out an email saying my group screw up and nothing can ship.

After a day of running around we find out the parts were not made to the print. No one overseas took the time to see if the part matched the print.

The fix took about 5 minutes per part (2 hours total) to fix the problem.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Try carting around a bunch of haggard flight attendants wherever you go....Jesus.  At least we can close the bulletproof door for some occasional physical separation.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to work for an asshat 'director of engineering' that didn't know what a crossover cable was, didn't know if the black wire went on the brass or zinc screw of the outlet.  Wanted me to install all telcom jacks and cables before the dry wall was installed, etc.  He knew the buzz words and the General manager thinks he is a god.  

What someone else said.  Make something up.  Probably just needs an answer to put in his TPS report for the next clown up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:12:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Say "I have to use the toilet", leave, and take the rest of the day off. Or make yourself scarce somewhere, doing something "important"...

What an ass of a boss.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:37:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I work in an office full of wimmen.  "Drama Queen" is a pretty accurate label for 90% of them.  There is always some sort of feud going on, catty remarks, back-stabbing.  It's like a damn soap opera.

Same here and it gets old. Of course if I would ever get my fat lazy ass in the academy it solve my problem.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a supervisor once who told a room of detectives and their supervisors (in an effort to get them fired up over an investigation he thought was important) "If you want a wiretap on this guy or any of his associates, we'll get you one, no problem!" [stupid boss/coach-type Grin of Manly Enthusiasm]  My eyes popped about 3" out of my skull, I being the only .gov employee within 100 miles who had written a wiretap in the preceding 3 years.

That's sort of like saying "And hey, if you want, we'll translate the King James Bible into Romanian and then back into Greek & Hebrew, no problem!" [stupid boss/coach-type Grin of Manly Enthusiasm] It can be done, but it's complex, time-consuming, governed by rigid and arcane rules, and. of course, the jackass making the promise has no idea how to do it himself.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#19]

He once demanded some PeopleSoft consultants spend an entire weekend (18 hour days) writing this one complicated report.

That's annoying, but more annoying is when the little drama queen starts a rant about not being there at 8AM the next morning.  I've had several jobs like that.  The worst time was working 37 hours straight programming a loom controller for Springs Industries one weekend to minimize downtime for a few dozen expensive looms.  At 2AM Monday morning I told my manager I wasn't going to physically make it back to work for Monday.  A VP of the company fired me at 10AM for not being there.  Of course that was after the moron called my house to demand that I come-in.  So I got dressed, almost had a wreck on the way there, then was immediately fired as soon as I walked in the door.  The jerk had nothing better to do but stand by the door for a half an hour to wait on me to fire me.

Since the current owner of the company I work for got a quote from IBM Global Services for them to handle what I do on a day to day basis just in case something happened to me, I can get away with murder.  IBM wanted 38 times as much as what he's paying me.  Plus I've been here three times longer than anyone else so it would be disruptive to the customers.  There is no drama from him any more.  I don't make much money and I have to work a lot of hours, but it's nice not having to answer to anyone.z
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:16:49 AM EDT
[#20]
You need a guy like "Milton" working there. He'd know how to handle the situation!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Guy,  you are in GD.   It does NOT stand for 'General Discussion" .
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:42:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Tell me about it, at one of my last jobs I had a hot 18 year old chick as my boss, who only got the job because she was friend with the manager.  She made me stay late and have sex with her, it was terrible.  I'm glad that's behind me.

Abe
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:50:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just tell him, "Let me know how that works out for you," and leave. What an ass.

When I worked at a dot-com there was a CEO who was always full of shit like that. He once demanded some PeopleSoft consultants spend an entire weekend (18 hour days) writing this one complicated report.

They stuck it out (at $225/hour) and got the report done. The CEO glanced at the report for the next two consecutive weekly meetings then never asked for it again because the numbers were so shitty.

I hate princess leaders who throw down their gloves at the smallest inconvenience or obstacle.

Personally I love those kinda people. You can pay me 50 bucks an hour all night long. And since your keepingme, better call in some pizza too. Cant be overtime!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top