Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 12:14:46 PM EDT
I use MS word for spell checking my posts.

Open Word.
Type a sentence or two
Close word.
Click NO for saving your document.
Now wait. (only happens if the window I am closing is in fact the only Word window open)

It takes 3-4 seconds for Word to actually close.  I am at work and have a 3ghz Pentium 4 with 1 GIG of RAM.

What in the name off all that is good and decent in this world is Word doing for 4 seconds when I click close that it can’t do without keeping the application open.

With my home computer, a AMD 3000+ 64 bit proc with 512MB of RAM, it takes 4-5 seconds for Word to close.

Why is it so hard to just Fing close the app!  If there is clean up to be done, get your farking screen out of my face and THEN do your cleanup you cock sucking bastards!!!

Rant over.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It takes a few seconds to send whatever you wrote to the Secret Pentagon Database...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Forget your pills today?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It takes a few seconds to send whatever you wrote to the Secret Pentagon Database...

I KNEW IT!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Speel cheack is for people insucre with there ablity to spell
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Forget your pills today?

Forget?  Or take some when I don't have any prescribed to me.

And you know what else is anoying!
 Sorry, you must wait 2 seconds before you can post again!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The speed of your computer means jack, what's your CPU and memory usage like? Do you use a lot of virtual memory? How full is your hdd?

Also, it's a MS program, what do you expect.

Now explain to me why it takes forever for Photoshop to load, and Acrobat Reader for that matter (although I use the trick that makes the splash screen load faster).
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#9]
This reminds me of the frustration of closing windows.

When I say "Shut Down", I do not mean "In three minutes when you have finished whatever menial tasks you were working on."  What I mean is, I want everything to zip closed, the screen to blank and the computer to shut off completely in less than three seconds.  

On my former work computer, I would generally tell it to shut down about five minutes before the end of the day, so that I would have a chance of it being shut off by three or four minutes after I was supposed to leave.  Since I didn't have admin power over the computer, I just started hitting the power button or shutting off the power.

A computer should not treat user commands as suggestions.  Shutdown means now, no prompts, no questions, no errors, no programs not responding, none of that.  Pull the rug out from underneath any application that's lagging, close out the disks and shut down immediately.

Jim

P.S.:  On my 1980s computer with Dos 2.11, shutdown took about 1/4 second--from when I touched the button to when the computer was off and silent.  On my (home) Windows XP box, it takes about twenty seconds.  

The XP computer processor is 140 times faster (clock) than the Dos 2.11 computer.  
The XP computer is 80 times slower.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's why I always go for the "hold power button down until the m-f'ing screen goes black" approach.

I mean really. Whose idea was it to cliCk "Start" to turn something off?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I always go for the "hold power button down until the m-f'ing screen goes black" approach.

Ammazingly for some reason, a guy who has a heck of a lot more money than we do.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even linux takes a bit to close down, but at least when you type "shutdown -h now" it starts the process and will just kill anything that protests.  I like that kind of assertiveness in an operating system.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]

The XP computer processor is 140 times faster (clock) than the Dos 2.11 computer.
The XP computer is 80 times slower.

Which means the software is 11,200 times slower.  Actually Microsoft is worse than that since the CPU does much more now per clock cycle.  I just don't have the patience now to deal with the slow and buggy Microsoft software.z
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Forget your pills today?

I told you those aren't pills! They're suppositories!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Forget your pills today?

I told you those aren't pills! They're suppositories!

-Foxxz

Is that why my throat gets so dry.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#16]
To be fair, when you tell Windows to shutdown, it writes a bunch of stuff to the hard drive before it actually shuts down. Things like updating the file system with as yet unwritten file system changes, etc.

My main PC only takes about 5 seconds to shutdown.

You could kill a PC running DOS via the power switch because it didn't delay writing data to disk like Windows does.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
To be fair, when you tell Windows to shutdown, it writes a bunch of stuff to the hard drive before it actually shuts down. Things like updating the file system with as yet unwritten file system changes, etc.

My main PC only takes about 5 seconds to shutdown.

You could kill a PC running DOS via the power switch because it didn't delay writing data to disk like Windows does.

Yes, I understand why the DOS computer shut down at the push of a button, just like a calculator or PDA.

My point was, while the technology has been pushed forward an amazing amount, simple issues of useability have been ignored or made much worse.

If Windows needs to write a bunch of stuff to disk before shutting down, why does it wait?  Why does a system that has been idle (no use) for an extended period of time still need to spend lots of time writing stuff to disk?

With Linux, at least I can watch the shutdown process.  It happens in an orderly fashion, you see it finalize and unmount the disks (quickly), close/kill running processes, and then zap the power.  

On the Word issue, I've considered pulling out my copy of Word 6.0 and seeing if it will run on XP.  I'll bet that would be BLAZING FAST compared to modern Word.  It was quite nice on my 486 DX/2 66, I wonder how fast it would be on a 1ghz PIII or 1.8ghz AMD Duron.

Heck, even Word 97 would probably be leaps and bounds better than what I have (Word 2000).  My wife's new (just delivered) computer, a P4-3ghz, has Office 2003 Professional.  I'll be curious to see how quickly it does tasks compared to my other computers.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Word 97 closes pretty much instantaneously on the machines I have it installed on, so I think you  suspicions would be born out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Get a good registry cleaner--CCleaner is decent and free.  it also cleans a bunch of other crap on your system. defrag once a week
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top