Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 11:50:25 AM EDT
I'm taking a girl to see the Lion King on Broadway in January, we're taking the train in and we have to be there by 7 to get our tickets, but we're going in early so we can hang out in the city for awhile before the show.

Now I've been there a few times, but I'm not really a good tourist, when I go places I go to museums and historical places... And while this girl isn't dumb by any means, I don't think she'll enjoy the museums as much as 5th avenue...

So what kinds of things are cool to fit into a day trip?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw the Lion King here with the kids, everyone enjoyed it.

Metropolitan Museum of Art has a huge Arms and Armor collection. My 9 year old asked if he could live there. Their ancient Egypt collection is excellent, too.

Intrepid Air and Space Museum.

Museum of Natural History has lots of animals killed by Theodore Roosevelt himself.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Ever been to the top of the Empire State building?

If not, do it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Saw the Lion King here with the kids, everyone enjoyed it.

Metropolitan Museum of Art has a huge Arms and Armor collection. My 9 year old asked if he could live there. Their ancient Egypt collection is excellent, too.

Intrepid Air and Space Museum.

Museum of Natural History has lots of animals killed by Theodore Roosevelt himself.

+1

Quoted:
Ever been to the top of the Empire State building?

If not, do it.

+1
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Um, be careful?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There is also a "halloween" themed bar <i forget the name> that was just damned awesome. as i recal it was somewhere close to greenwich village <i may be wrong it's been awhile since i was there. a definate must do if you have the time.

You might be thinking of Jekyl and Hyde, on 6th avenue between 57th and 58th.  I don't know if they have a downtown location.

Romantic:  Walk up to Central Park South (59th street) anywhere between 5th and 7th avenue, take a carraige ride. (about 50 bucks with tip)

Top of the Rock, at Rockefeller center, rooftop viewing, not as tall as empire state building, but close to broadway area, and much less crowded.

Whisky Park, 6th and 59th, one of the largest selections of single malts you will ever see.

nyc tourism

any particular likes or interests?

central park zoo?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
honestly?  my vote would be get the hell out as fast as I can.  <shudder> i HATE cities...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Wander around Times Square, find a good restuarant like Gallagher's, Peter Luger's Steak house or Carmines.  If those don't tickle your fancy, get her a "dirty water" hot dog and a soft pretzel.  Go by Rockefeller Center and see the giant Christmas Tree, then walk by the Christmas window displays at the nearby department stores.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is also a "halloween" themed bar <i forget the name> that was just damned awesome. as i recal it was somewhere close to greenwich village <i may be wrong it's been awhile since i was there. a definate must do if you have the time.

You might be thinking of Jekyl and Hyde, on 6th avenue between 57th and 58th.  I don't know if they have a downtown location.

Romantic:  Walk up to Central Park South (59th street) anywhere between 5th and 7th avenue, take a carraige ride. (about 50 bucks with tip)

Top of the Rock, at Rockefeller center, rooftop viewing, not as tall as empire state building, but close to broadway area, and much less crowded.

Whisky Park, 6th and 59th, one of the largest selections of single malts you will ever see.

nyc tourism

any particular likes or interests?

central park zoo?

Ah, excellent idea, thank you.

I do have another question... I know there isn't a dress code for seeing Broadway plays, but am I going to blend in with casual clothes on or stick out like a sore thumb?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The Intrepid Air and Space Museum is pretty sweet
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
You will blend in casual if you wear something like kakhi's and a button down shirt or sweater, jeans are okay, but business casual looks nicer.  You'll see some folks in suits and maybe even a tux, more for dinner after the play. Personaly I'd wear something like a mock turtleneck or longsleeve henly, slacks and a sports coat, little more than casual (also warmer) without a tie, but not business or formal.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Make sure that if you just purchased a bag of sugar you don't trip and fall on the subway...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Vincent's in Little Italy, sit at the counter order the linguine with the medium sauce with buscuits dipped in garlic and oil. Do not try the Hot sauce, it is really spicy....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#14]
My favorite museum was the Subway Museum, you can actually ride a antique subway of the 3rd avenue EL...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're planning to go to the Empire State Building, don't be carrying anything that remotely resembles a weapon that will be picked up by the X-Ray or the metal detector, or they'll hassle you.  2" swiss army knives included.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to Grand central Station!   I was born in NYC but made it to Texas as fast as I could.  Admire the arcitecture in Grand Central
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget Ray's Famous Pizza!
Famous Original Ray's Pizza
77 Lexington Ave,   New York 10010
Corner of 26th St

If you don't go there your missing out.

Makes the rest of the pizza in this country taste like poo poo!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Ride the subway during rush hour.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#21]
In spring or summer, Tavern on the Green is very nice for taking a classy girl dancing.  Central Park, it's in.

Katz's delicatessen has been around since the 1880s or so.  Very authentic local.

Beretta gallery and the Holland and Holland store. Gun room's on the sixth floor. Want to fondle a $45,000 shotgun?  :)

Shopping - soho, but my wife knows better than I.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Don't forget Ray's Famous Pizza!
Famous Original Ray's Pizza
77 Lexington Ave,   New York 10010
Corner of 26th St

If you don't go there your missing out.

Makes the rest of the pizza in this country taste like poo poo!

meh, i've never thought it was anything special.  theres also one the the corner of st. mark's and 3rd ave.  my favorite is nino's on st. mark's and ave a...but for ny pizza to be any good just ask for a plain slice
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Go to Grand central Station!   I was born in NYC but made it to Texas as fast as I could.  Admire the arcitecture in Grand Central

We're taking the train right into there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Get there early, and seriously spend the 35 bucks each on the double decker bus tour.  Lots of fun, you cover the whole island, and a different guide on each bus.  Careful though you will buy a 24 hr pass, but the daylight tour ends at 5 pm
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i did a bit of wandering around last time i was there.

the art museum is a must we did it in about 2 hours or so without being rushed.
times square is a blast. you could spend a day there doing the various bars and attractions

some of the best times we had was buying a pass for the subway and randomly getting off different exits around lower manhatten. we'd get off the subway and wander around a few blocks and do it all over again. Got to see some really neat things that were off the beaten path.

jekyl and hyde is the name of the place...

your best bet is to check out

newyork.citysearch.com
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you're planning to go to the Empire State Building, don't be carrying anything that remotely resembles a weapon that will be picked up by the X-Ray or the metal detector, or they'll hassle you.  2" swiss army knives included.

I didn't get hassled back in September.  I sent a Gerber Multitool and a Benchmade through the xray machine. Maybe I got lucky.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Um, be careful?

These days most of Manhatten, particularly the theatre district, is very safe.

Rudy already put everyone in jail, I left in '88 and was surprized by the cleanup all over the city...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Hellfire Club.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hellfire Club.

not the same 'hood as the Ramrod? LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top