Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 4:47:33 AM EDT
I got a tungsten ring in January when I got hitched.  I'm still not sure how I got roped into that, bt that's a different thread.

Anyway, it was a nice ring when I got it, a little darker than silver, but polished and nice.  A few months later it gets hazy.  Now it just looks pitted and cheap and...  well, just shitty.  Has anyone ever had a Tungsten ring/jewelry?  Is that normal?

The company said I could send it back for free polishing.  Well, great.  Every 6 months I send my ring in for how long to get it polished?

titaniumera.com/uk/ordertungsten/dome.html
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#1]
My wedding ring is Tungsten, actually it looks pretty much identical to the one on your link. It cost a little bit less than that, but it came from a local jewelry store. It is holding up fine, not even a scratch even after working on my truck with it on.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#2]
you just had to be different, didn't you ...

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:55:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Mabe you can weld with it... Is is thoriated?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#4]
i have a spare Titanium ring for when we go on vacation, in case i lose it...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Titanium or tungsten?  

Be aware that it if the ring ever becomes stuck, it is nearly impossible to cutoff.

SRM
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a tungsten watch its shiny ..
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Titanium or tungsten?  

Be aware that it if the ring ever becomes stuck, it is nearly impossible to cutoff.

SRM

That's what a dremel's for!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Titanium or tungsten?  

SRM

It might get kinda hot
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Titanium or tungsten?  

SRM

It might get kinda hot

Big old +1
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Never heard of a tungsten ring.  They look pretty cool.

I've got a titanium wedding band.  Saved the four fingers on my hand from getting crushed.

I lost my first one swimming in the ocean while on our honeymoon in Cancun.

Didn't cry too much, as they only cost $90.

Wife ordered a replacement, and a duplicate in case I lose this one.

My ring is ultra light weight.  I bet the tungsten is pretty heavy.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've got a titanium wedding band.  Saved the four fingers on my hand from getting crushed.

Yeah my watch seems to weight a ton but it sure does look nice!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#12]
The only use for Tungsten I've ever heard of was X-Ray tubes...

Is it considered more or less precious than Titanium???

I always thought it went:

Silver, Gold, Platinum, Titanium.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Is titanium all that scarce?  They make parts out of it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is titanium all that scarce?  They make parts out of it.

Titanium isn't rare or scarce at all.

It is the 9th most abundant element on Earth.

edit:  Tungsten isn't rare or scarce either.  You can buy solid tungsten carbide cutting tools
(milling machines, etc) pretty cheap.  ~$20 for a large bit.  

Other metals are much more valuable.  

Heck, I think mercury is even more valuable than either of those.

Palladium is another precious metal, as is rhodium, iridium, ruthenium...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ti is not valuable.  Not at all, in the same way that gold is valuable.  It is durable and difficult to make into a ring, but other than that, much less 'valuable' than gold.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#16]
When I called, she said specifically that the ring is not tungsten carbide (a.k.a tool steel).  I got it because it is supposed to be scratch proof (at least as "proof" as it gets).  I like heavier stuff, too.

The link I posted is not the same company I bought mine from, but I think it is the same ring.  I should have guessed when it was engraveable that it wasn't top shelf stuff.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I think dpmmn has a Tungsten carbide ring...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When I called, she said specifically that the ring is not tungsten carbide (a.k.a tool steel).  I got it because it is supposed to be scratch proof (at least as "proof" as it gets).  I like heavier stuff, too.

The link I posted is not the same company I bought mine from, but I think it is the same ring.  I should have guessed when it was engraveable that it wasn't top shelf stuff.

I've never seen tungsten metal.
(I work at a metallurgical laboratory, and see lots of odd alloys)

Most tungsten alloys are powder metals, because tungsten is difficult to melt.

(mix tungsten metal, copper metal, etc. together, and compress/heat the hell out of it.)

Just for clarification, tool steel may have tungsten carbide in it, usually less than one percent.

Solid tungsten carbide is too brittle for most applications, and is in no way a steel.
(All steel alloys have a majority of iron, whereas solid tungsten carbide has very little, if any, iron)

I would imagine the ring would be nearly scratch proof.  
(but many abrasives are harder, and will scratch it.  Don't try sanding it)

Is there a risk of it shattering if you drop it?
I've seen tungsten carbide bits shatter.  I don't know how hard tungsten metal is compared
to tungsten carbide.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a tungsten carbide ring, has a thin strip if gold embedded into it.  Mine looks great, had it since April.  Made by Artcarved, cost almost a grand.  Maintainence free. Had it replaced once, dropped it on a concrete floor and put a small crack in it.  Very hard stuff, cant cut it off but in an emergency can give it a hard tap with a hammer and it will shatter.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Can you cut off a titanium ring if something happens to it?  I, too, have heard that you cant cut off a tungsten ring should the need arise.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Can you cut off a titanium ring if something happens to it?  I, too, have heard that you cant cut off a tungsten ring should the need arise.

Kharn

Depends on what is available at the hospital that is taking care of you. Because both titanium and tungsten are stronger than steel, the need may arise to cut your finger off in order to remove the ring.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't remember the URL, but the website we got my rings at showed a "standard"
hospital type tool used to remove rings, and it sawed through titanium fairly easily.

Must have been some sort of diamond saw.  Hand powered to avoid heat buildup.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Tungsten is brittle.  They suggest going at it with a pair of vice grips.  Just tighten them a little at a time until the ring cracks or shatters.

I do not know about titanium.  The_Reaper might have a better idea about that.

The_Reaper
I've never seen tungsten metal.
(I work at a metallurgical laboratory, and see lots of odd alloys)

I'm pretty sure tungsten is a metal...  right?  Atomic #74.  I realize it is alloyed with something.  I guess I'm not sure what you mean, you have never seen it pure?

Anyway...  That's all beside the point.  My wedding ring stinks.  I look like I am wearing a rusty beer can pull tab!  The pitting is so bad, you literally cannot see the engraving inside anymore.  I guess that's what I get for ordering from the internet, huh?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn't mind an electrum (silver and gold) ring. Or mythril (yes, it's real. Silver and steel alloy, sometimes white gold is added).
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yep, I do!!! and it looks just as good today as it did a year ago when I put it on. This ring still looks like brand new

The one I have has a lifetime warranty  against scrathes and etc.........

I work in a factory as a Press Brake operator, and I am hard on shit, so when I seen this I thought it would hold up pretty good.
My first wedding ring was gold and lasted about 6 months, I went 16 years without  one so this lasting over a year already is a plus
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I recently bought Movado's new Tungsten Carbide watch.  Damn heavy and always shiny, haven't had any problems with it yet.  People love it, it really attracts a lot of attention for such a simple design.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Depends on what is available at the hospital that is taking care of you. Because both titanium and tungsten are stronger than steel, the need may arise to cut your finger off in order to remove the ring.

Most ERs have a ring cutter which has a cheap steel wheel with diamond dust.

I can assure you, if the ring needs to come off, and the finger is too swollen to get it off, you may be SOL.

Read that as you may lose a finger. And I'm talking about level I trauma centers. They may be able to call an Emergency Services unit, but I'm talking metro NY area hospitals.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I do!!! and it looks just as good today as it did a year ago when I put it on. This ring still looks like brand new

I work in a factory as a Press Brake operator, and I am hard on shit, so when I seen this I thought it would hold up pretty good.
My first wedding ring was gold and lasted about 6 months, I went 16 years without  one so this lasting over a year already is a plus

I'm surprised they let you wear hand jewelry. I worked in the office of a company who used power presses...none of our guys were allowed hand jewelry. Although...it wasn't always that way: We had 20-60 ton presses..many the guys had rigged the smaller ones to overide the osha features ...well, one of said men lost his finger in a 22 ton Perkins.
No hand jewelry after that!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I recently bought Movado's new Tungsten Carbide watch.  Damn heavy and always shiny, haven't had any problems with it yet.  People love it, it really attracts a lot of attention for such a simple design.  

Those are beautiful I couldnt afford that one so I bought   diffrent tungsten watch the metal is probably one of the most beautiful metals I have ever seen. Almost looks like mica or onyx at certain angles
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, rub it in!   Sure, your tungsten stuff looks great, and you work in a machine shop, while mine rots off my finger at my desk!
BTW, I am a CAD designer at a machine & sheet metal shop.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Same here.

This is what mine looks like:

www.ringsforever.com/rings/b-c2.html

They're out of Clarkdale, AZ.  Good ppl, who did the maximum to overcome the aversion most ppl had to doing business over the intarweb several years ago.  Their website looks a little dated, but that is is almost exactly what it looked like back in 2002.

Check out their full catalog here:

www.ringsforever.com/C_Basic.html
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Its almost impossible to get the picture to show what it actually looks like

Crap those pictures are flipping big sorry let me try to resize them!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Titanium or tungsten?  

SRM

I hear the easy way to get the rings off is to remove the finger and then have it reattached later.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

and it saved him from getting his hand squished too
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and it saved him from getting his hand squished too

Yes it did, and it didn't scratch it either

But the ring held the weight of the "Ray Die"
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I want a big pimpdaddy one to put on if I ever gotta punch something
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm surprised they let you wear hand jewelry. I worked in the office of a company who used power presses...none of our guys were allowed hand jewelry. Although...it wasn't always that way: We had 20-60 ton presses..many the guys had rigged the smaller ones to overide the osha features ...well, one of said men lost his finger in a 22 ton Perkins.
No hand jewelry after that!

I was a bit leary at first, and my wife understood this.  There are no company policies against it,  common sense comes more into play on this.

When I used to do a lot of welding a few years ago, I would have never had a ring on.
The job I do now and that I have done for the last seven years, is forming flat steel. I operate a 350 ton Cincinnati Press brake, it is equipped with light curtians, so you cannot get your hand past a certian area.  The part that concerned me the most was getting  a corner of steel cought inbetween the ring and my finger. I haven't had a problem with it, but I can promise you this...........The first time I do, would be the last time I wear the ring
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Heard it used in AP ammo as well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I got a tungsten ring in January when I got hitched.  I'm still not sure how I got roped into that, bt that's a different thread.

Anyway, it was a nice ring when I got it, a little darker than silver, but polished and nice.  A few months later it gets hazy.  Now it just looks pitted and cheap and...  well, just shitty.  Has anyone ever had a Tungsten ring/jewelry?  Is that normal?

The company said I could send it back for free polishing.  Well, great.  Every 6 months I send my ring in for how long to get it polished?

titaniumera.com/uk/ordertungsten/dome.html

You might just take your ring to a local, reputable jeweler (the high-end, non-chain kind of store), ans ask them to polish ans rhodium plate the ring for you.  That should clean it up nicely as well as provide a protective finish, ans shouldn't cost more than $30 or so.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top