Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2001 3:05:04 AM EDT
I've been looking for a new pair of workboots.

I work in swamps, Briars, woods, roads montains...
You name it I am there, For I am the Professional Surveyor.

Boots must be rugged and built to last.
And able to withstand rough use.
Must be Goretex. No Steel toes.

I have had good luck with Wolverines, Rocky and Black Rock's.

TIA,
Delmarksman [:)]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Danner Acadia boots. Gore-tex, vibram lug soles, full grain leather and cordora nylon.  They absolutely kick ass. Great tactical boots, and would perfect for the environment you work in.  Built to last a life time, and made here in Oregon!  A little expensive, but well worth it.[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.redwingshoe.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:31:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Rocky's
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd have to say for all around toughness, go with the Redwings.  That's about all I buy anymore, as the other brands won't hold up to hard use.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:15:50 AM EDT
[#5]
That's two votes for Rocky's from Dugger!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]
For work boots, go with [b]USGI full leather boots[/b]. Like the ones you get from surplus. I used to work with a guy way back that used them . He said they last forever and we worked as mechanics on heavy equipment. Oil and everything used to get on our boots. I went through several pairs and he never wore his out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Belleville, model 700 TLS. Official U.S. military issue. Very comfortable and reasonably priced.

www.bellevilleshoe.com.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For work boots, go with [b]USGI full leather boots[/b]. Like the ones you get from surplus. I used to work with a guy way back that used them . He said they last forever and we worked as mechanics on heavy equipment. Oil and everything used to get on our boots. I went through several pairs and he never wore his out.
View Quote

But these are NOT waterproof and would suck if used in a swamp for work.
I place another vote for [b]Danners[/b]. I prefer the Acadias or Ft. Lewis Go Devils for a full leather 11" upper version. Yes they'll cost you about $180, but they last forever, have a good warranty, and danner can also resole/refurbish them with a fairly fast turn around.
These are both Goretex as you requested and can be had with or without a steel toe and with or without insulation. (200gm thinsulate)
Good luck!
CS
[url]www.danner.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been wearing a pair of Danner Acadias at work now for the past year and am fully impressed.  They show very little wear and can be resoled for a couple of bucks when the tread does wear out.

The Acadias are all black so it might not the color you are looking for but Danner offers many different styles, all of which are Gore-Tex lined.

My only complaint, a small one, is that they seem to made a little narrower than my last work boots (Rockys, Timberlands, and Altamas), so if you have a somewhat wide foot go for the EEs.

[url]www.danner.com[/url]

Edited cause I am buzzed
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Caterpillars.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[url]www.redwingshoe.com[/url]
View Quote

Check out the picture of the size 24 10E custom boots made for "Igor": holy Sasquatch! [:O]

[img]http://www.redwingshoes.com/images/news/igorShoes.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I have to go with RedWing boots. They are durable made, and made to fit properly. All RedWing dealers are trained to properly fit your foot. From my knowledge RedWing boots got their start from coal miners using them for their durability.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#13]
The Marine Corp issue combat boot, Matterhorns are lighter than Danners. They also cost a lot less. I have had both, and prefer the Matterhorns because of the weight. When you walk a lot, a few ounces makes a lot of difference at the end of the day. Ranger Ricks had the best price on them I have seen. BTW, they are waterproof with GoreTex, and they breath well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't buy la cross. I have had my $100 pair for 5 months for work and the soles have cracked right where they bend when you walk. It happened on both shoes and the cracks go all the way accross and all the way up to the liner. They still have tred, but don't step in a puddle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#15]
D-marksman-- Go with what you have found comfortable in the past.  AND INVEST IN A PEET'S BOOT DRYER!  There is nothing so awesome as dry feet in the morning.  Morning wet boots suck ASS.  Misery!!!

If you are surveying, go with what has worked for you in the past.  I would also recommend carrying a spare pair of socks in the back of your vest to switch over to at lunch.  Your feet will thank you for your efforts.  Don't forget strong foot powder.  

I remain unimpressed by all available boots.  Maybe it's because my feet are sweaty cesspools.  My feet are f@$king wretched after an 11 hour shift!  And I defy anyone to find me a pair of boots that "breath well."  

I have had two pair of Danner Rainforests, which are the relatively heavy Danners with the block heel Vibrams.  Street price $209.  I have used them for about 2.5 years on a daily basis.   Thats about 700 days.  Work has been in concrete pits with 6" of hydraulic fluid, cruising timber on fairly steep Western forests, and bucking logs on landings.  

The Danners are not bulletproof for the kind of work I have done.  The hydraulic fluid seems to degrade the leather quickly.  The Goretex liner does not last.  But they are good, comfortable, supportive boots.  

Take care of your feet.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use Danner Acadia boots. Gore-tex, vibram lug soles, full grain leather and cordora nylon.  They absolutely kick ass. Great tactical boots, and would perfect for the environment you work in.  Built to last a life time, and made here in Oregon!  A little expensive, but well worth it.[>]:)]
View Quote

I'm in the portland area and lookin for a new pair of boots too. Where would one find a pair of Danner Acadia boots?

thanks,
Dan
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Danners are definitely great boots and can be re soled many times.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#18]
The Marine Corps issue boot, the ICB, is the Belleville Mod 700 TLS.

Matterhorn claims their "Marine Boot" is an issue item, but I have yet to meet a Marine they were issued to.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Dan--

Danner Shoe Company should be in the Yellow Pages, but it is within 10 mi of the PDX airport, and in fact is on airport way, not far from the Leatherman factory.  

You should check out the outlet as it generally has blemished boots, with inconspicuous scuffs etc for about 50% off street prices.  This is a great deal for boots that you intend to beat up, and I wouldn't buy another pair of Danners for full price.  

Be advised:  The blem items have NO warranty.  In my possibly mistaken view, with Danners, much of the high price is to pay for the quality control.  

You also might be able to call Danner up and sweet talk one of the people into mailing you a pair of blemmed boots, but there is no return, so you need to know what size you are.  For me, it's 10-1/2D, no problem.  

With all these synthetics out there, I am still a huge fan of cotton for the summer and wool for the winter.  Everything else is an imitation and leads to my feet decomposing in a sea of filth.  

Like I said, my feet are bastards.  Lucky I don't get blisters or I'd consider amputation and getting protheses ;)  
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#23]
RED WINGS!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Red Wings man. They are the most comfortable and toughest boots I've ever worn.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#25]
HiTec Leather Magnums w/steel shanks and toes for work, incl zippers for easy stepping in when on call.

Freetime, Belleville USMC combat boot

When on the range, my old Dutch army combat boots.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I only buy Cabela's boots. Probably because they are one of the few companys that offer narrow sizes.  But I've had a pair of 'all-seaon' hunting boots from them for 12 years now and they are still going strong.  I use them for everything from deer to dove hunting.  Their quality is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I like my Wolverine's!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I like my Justin's.

Reverend73
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been very impressed by my Adidas GSG-9's. Only beware not to get the nippled profile.

Cheers,
RG.nl
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm a UPS driver in Northern Wisconsin and three seasons a year I'm slopping through rain, slush, snow and mud (not to mention all the salt residue from salted pavement). I haven't tried every brand out there but I have yet to find a pair of gore-tex boots whose membrane can hold up to the abuse and sustained soaking being on your feet 8 to 10 hours day in and day out produces.  The Rockies and Brownings I've owned also lacked the cushioning and arch support I need.  For the past three years I've used nothing but Hi-Tech Magnums (non-gore-tex) over a gore-tex sock and another sock (cotton, wool, or polyprop. depending on temp).  I only get about a year or so before the sole wears through but think it is a worthwhile trade off for the increased traction a semi-soft sole provides over some of the harder, longer wearing soles competitors provide.  Also, ever picked a pair up?  They are oh so light and feel like a pair of athletis shoes when you put them on.  Use a boot drier over night!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought these Danner boots in April.  They're Gore-Tex, very nice, but I wouldn't wear them in swamps.  
[img]http://www.danner.com/images/products/detailed/38000_Radical_45_Tan_GTX.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#32]
As a daily 'service' boot, here in Australia, yr round, I wear the US tan desert boot (Desert Storm fame)RO SEARCH Panama sole type.

Wear em every day. Got two pair. They are an excellent boot! As for the issue Aussie general issue ones, just one word, cripplers. Been wearing them for about 7 yrs now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Danners first, Redwings second.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had Red Wings, Wolverines and Hermans.

The Red Wings are painful during break-in, but take a long time to wear out the soles.  The uppers damn near last forever.

Wolverines are maybe a little more stylish than the RWs, and I haven't seen Hermans in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Danner and HI-TEC are my choices.
Get catalogs and check out the websites.
There's a model for you in there somewhere.  Maybe even two.
Good Shopping.

OH, YEAH! Don't scrimp on SOCKS, either!
I've been using the Thorlo padded/cushioned bottom socks, and, brother, they DO make a difference.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Summer time GSG9's, Winter time Browning 1000's.

Ai
View Quote

Ai,
Can you supply me with a link for the GSG9s?? Anyone?? Thanks

Also, resole on a pair of size 10 Danner Acadias runs about 70 bucks (plus shipping) at the factory. FYI My "in the forest only" pair have 90% + sole remaining after 3+ years, but the "concrete/miscellaneous" pair were worn to the midsole in less than a year.
Regards,
C6
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm sticking with ROCKYS. I have no reason not too. Its funny how attached people get to their boots...I think it has to do with "unlacing"them after work or something.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Went with a pair of Magnums.
They were $90.
Bought them at the local Army Navy store.
I don't like ordering boots through the mail,
I want to be able to try them on.
I have had to return boots through the mail and that bites.
Plus extra money spent and time lost waiting.

We shall see what they can handle. heheh [;)]

Thanks to all who responded.

Del
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I work in swamps, Briars, woods, roads montains...
You name it I am there, For I am the Professional Surveyor.

Delmarksman [:)]
View Quote

Hell, if you are a surveyor in [i]Delaware[/i], all you should need are some Nike sneakers.  [:)]  There are swamps and woods actually left in The First State?!

Maybe it's just the Newark area....
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#40]
[url]http://www.emocs.com/buffalo.htm[/url]
Danner, Redwing, Wolverine.
If you don't own a Peet's Boot Dryer you are not taking care of your feet!
[img]http://www.emocs.com/images/peet4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#41]
[b]Caution[/b] to all of you who have cesspool-sweaty feet!!
I tried Magnums and their short, little steel shank rusted through, broke in half, tore through the footbed, and cut my thorlos up in about 3 months time (daily use). Luckily, my feet were spared. They were comfortable otherwise, but wouldn't hold-up in harsh outdoor conditions...no way.
CS
P.S. Thanks for the info Ai
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Coversix here ya go for the GSG9s.  Botach sucks for shipping times and is out of stock too much but when you can get stuff from them the prices are pretty good.

Wait for a sale if you are going to buy though as the GSG9s go on sale for $165, I almost bought a pair but I heard they wear out quick.

[url]http://www.botachtactical.com/adgstacboot.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#43]
The last pair i bought were Duckhead for $20 on some type of sale at A&N. They were $80 Boots!!

Lasting about 9 months now and still ok. Sole is wearing out. Concrete for 8 hours a day will do that.

Oh yeah I weigh 250lbs.

Bought a lot of 29 and 39 dollar boots at Walmart. They never last more than 4-5 months. Laces are shitcaned after 2 months.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Belleville Tropical Combat.
[^]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought a pair of Zamberlan Civettas about a year ago from REI.  I've torn up more than a few pairs of boots over the years and so far these are the best I've ever had.  

Here's a cut and paste from REI.com:
Built in the tradition of fine Italian footwear, durable Civettas offer waterproof, breathable comfort for hikers and backpackers.

One-piece nubuck leather uppers provide excellent support and protection for your feet; Gore-Tex® linings keep them dry and comfortable
Innovative Vibram® Bifida outsoles feature self-cleaning lugs, dual-density rubber cushioning and forefoot grooves for natural flex
Durable polyurethane midsoles cushion and protect feet; shanks supply the support you need on rough, uneven terrain
Padded ankle collars and padded gusseted tongues protect feet while keeping out trail debris
Toe and heel counters are made of a thermoplastic reinforcement to protect the boots from the bumps and bruises of the trail

3 lbs. 7 oz. based on an average size 9
[img]http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1h/gallery.rei.com/largeimages/649655.jpg[/img]

BTW, unless you have a MAJOR odor problem you shouldn't be using foot powder.  It clogs the Gotex and just about any other inner liner and just adds another form of abrasion to your feet.  Once the Gortex is clogged, it doesn't breath and you might as well be wearing plastic bags for socks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Being a forester, I feel I have much to add in this topic.  I use rocky super bruit.  They don't last long at all, I usually go through a pair every 10 months but they are very very comfortable.  They also offer good ankle support. Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#47]
"I work in swamps, Briars, woods, roads montains...
You name it I am there, For I am the Professional Surveyor"

Been there, done that, got the chiggers.

I used GI issue jungle boots, but only because I already had them. Redwing makes a good product.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Red Wing
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Danner Acadia for this time of the year. Danner "Special Forces" in the fall. Danner "Canadian" and "High Country" for hunting. Thorlo's GI Combat sock is AWESOME. A little pricey but I've been rotating 6 pair for over a year now and still NO WEAR!
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"I work in swamps, Briars, woods, roads montains...
You name it I am there, For I am the Professional Surveyor"

Been there, done that, got the chiggers.

I used GI issue jungle boots, but only because I already had them. Redwing makes a good product.
View Quote

Hate chiggers. Worse than a Rattle snake!
At least he will let you know you are going to get bit.

Stubbs,
South and east of Newark is inundated 3\4 of the year. Except when we are in drought.
Most of DE is at 10-50 feet above sea level.

The state is going nuts with Wetland Preservation work and I get a lot of it.

No business or subdivision is built now
without a pond of somesort for stormwater drainage\storage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top