Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2005 6:21:01 PM EDT
Flintlock Mountain Rifles

Flint Fancy

Flint Select

Can anyone recommend them?

And can anyone explain why they have double triggers?!?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know anything about the brand other than they look well made,, but I would guess that the double triggers work the same as the Sharps rifle setup. Squeeze the back one and it makes the front into a "hair" trigger.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I dont know anything about the brand, but I would guess that the double triggers work the same as the Sharps rifle setup. Squeeze the back one and it makes the front into a "hair" trigger.

I'm just wondering why they'd bother with set triggers on a round ball flintlock? It's kinda like power steering on a grocery cart.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Usually rear trigger is used to set tfront rigger.Front trigger can be used as is-usually higher poundage.By "pulling" rear trigger after cocking hammer,front trigger becomes set-ie-LOW poundage-usually ,1 lb pull. I think mine is about 10 oz.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
hehe, explaining a set trigger to steyraug
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yeah, I didn't make myself clear originally.

I know what set triggers are. I just don't understand why they are on a musket.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont know anything about the brand, but I would guess that the double triggers work the same as the Sharps rifle setup. Squeeze the back one and it makes the front into a "hair" trigger.

I'm just wondering why they'd bother with set triggers on a round ball flintlock? It's kinda like power steering on a grocery cart.

What... those rifles in capable hands could kill with aimed shots in excess of 300 yards. Round ball flintlock can be extremely accurate rifles even at long ranges.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I didn't make myself clear originally.

I know what set triggers are. I just don't understand why they are on a musket.

It is not a musket it is a rifle. Mountain rifles were designed as a dual purpose weapon that could be used for self-defense and for hunting big game at long ranges the set triggers make perfect sense. The Hawken rifle was designed with Indians, elk, bison, and even grizzly in mind it had to be a all purpose weapon.

Set triggers were pretty common on Pennsylvania/Kentucky/Tennessee/Mountain rifles
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#8]
A&H's are very nice setups, Good quality all around. I have a TC Hawkens 50 cal Rifle that I use to hunt Elk with each year.

With a Miniball you looking at 1-2 MOA. A well patched round ball, 2-3 MOA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What... those rifles in capable hands could kill with aimed shots in excess of 300 yards. Round ball flintlock can be extremely accurate rifles even at long ranges.

While some "famous" incidents exist...a round ball....smooth bore rifle has finite limits on it's inherent accuracy and as a result things like set triggers are pointless.

ETA: To clear up further confusion...I was looking at the round ball version which I though was not rifled.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A&H's are very nice setups, Good quality all around. I have a TC Hawkens 50 cal Rifle that I use to hunt Elk with each year.

With a Miniball you looking at 1-2 MOA. A well patched round ball, 2-3 MOA.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

While some "famous" incidents exist...a round ball....smooth bore rifle has finite limits on it's inherent accuracy and as a result things like set triggers are pointless.

ETA: To clear up further confusion...I was looking at the round ball version which I though was not rifled.

You've got a rifle with a relatively long hang time. Anything that can speed the time from when your brain tells you to fire, to the time the ball leaves the bore, is a good thing.
Even my Lyman Great Plains flintlock,which pales before the quality of the Austin and Halleck, has a set trigger. It definitely helps my accuracy. Dragging a long heavy trigger back certainly doesn't help shoot a rifle with a long lock time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brain fart?

I know you of all people know better... a smooth bore is NOT a rifle. No such thing as a smooth bore rifle.

Washington’s riflemen were expected to make 200 yard head shots. Washington put on a exhibition during the Revolution in Philadelphia in which his riflemen were shooting at 7 inch plates at 200 yards and making hits while doing quick march.

BTW those are very nice looking rifles and not a bad price.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Those were the sniper rifles of their day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Flintlock rifles are the bomb.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#15]
My cousin is a sponsored shooter for them and uses the flint locks.  He likes em a lot.  But then again, they're free for him
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The triggers are double set, so you can still fire the gun with the forward trigger if you need a quick shot.

There are several owners at muzzleloadingforum.com

The A&H's look pretty good for the price.  A Lyman is just as good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brain fart?

I know you of all people know better... a smooth bore is NOT a rifle. No such thing as a smooth bore rifle.

Washington’s riflemen were expected to make 200 yard head shots. Washington put on a exhibition during the Revolution in Philadelphia in which his riflemen were shooting at 7 inch plates at 200 yards and making hits while doing quick march.

Your are right, but do you know what a "Smooth Rifle" is?

That would be gun that looks like a rifle, but has a smooth bore; common in the early days of the Nation.

At any rate, none of these are reach out and touch them firearms unless you shoot specialty guns set up for long range, with fast twist bores (say 16 inch twist in 45 caliber) and long heavy conical bullets (520 gr class in .45 caliber) that are probably paper patched.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just like in AR's the heavier the bullet the faster the twist.  Typically a round ball rifle will have a twist of 1 in 60" to 1 in 72" whereas a slug gun will be in the 1 in 24" to 1 in 36" twist range.  Why not use a fast twist on the round ball gun?  The round ball has so little bearing surface that it will strip the rifling rather easily at max. loads.  Since the projectile is so short, it requires very little twist to stabilise it.

Kent
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Your are right, but do you know what a "Smooth Rifle" is?

That would be gun that looks like a rifle, but has a smooth bore; common in the early days of the Nation.

At any rate, none of these are reach out and touch them firearms unless you shoot specialty guns set up for long range, with fast twist bores (say 16 inch twist in 45 caliber) and long heavy conical bullets (520 gr class in .45 caliber) that are probably paper patched.

I am aware of the “Smooth Rifle” term, a mid 18th century smooth bore musket made to look like a more expensive rifle but which is not a rifle. Still there is no such thing as a smooth bore rifle.

It is relative comparison... 200+ yards is a reach out and touch them firearm especially when the predominate weapon on the battlefield had an effective aimed range of 50 yards or less.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brain fart?

This will be my first foray into blackpowder and the damn thing isn't HK so I'm still kinda lost in the woods. I am catching up though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top