Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 3:23:23 PM EDT
and was totally unimpressed. She described him as "Smarmy".

(Pardon me for just a moment while I wipe a tear from my eye. "The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree", as they say. Or "The turd doesn't fall far from the bird", if you prefer.)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
and was totally unimpressed. She described him as "Smarmy".

(Pardon me for just a moment while I wipe a tear from my eye. "The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree", as they say. Or "The turd doesn't fall far from the bird", if you prefer.)

Smarmy, thats a good word. I would have said Herman.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF is smarmy? since i have never heard that in a sentence, i assume its a northern thing?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
WTF is smarmy? since i have never heard that in a sentence, i assume its a northern thing?

Maybe Yankee talk for "stuck up and full of himself"?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

smarm·y (smär'mē)
adj., -i·er, -i·est.
1 Hypocritically, complacently, or effusively earnest; unctuous. See synonyms at unctuous.
2 Sleek.

unc·tu·ous (ŭngk'chū-əs)
adj.
1 Characterized by affected, exaggerated, or insincere earnestness: “the unctuous, complacent court composer who is consumed with envy and self-loathing”.
2 Having the quality or characteristics of oil or ointment; slippery.
3 Containing or composed of oil or fat.
4 Abundant in organic materials; soft and rich: unctuous soil.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think I first recall seeing it used when I read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I don't know if it is/was a word before that. I take it to mean kind of "used car salesman/greasy, disreputable uncle"-ish.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
smarmy is used to describe the following personality traits: a smartass, know it all, superier to you personality. At home i most often hear it used to describe attitude, ie 'he had a smamry attitude"    

when i rolled my eyes at my mother (earning myself a backhand most often) i was refered to as acting "smarmy"
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Did she wear a Bush '04 pin?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What, did your parents only speak Bulgarian in the home when you were growing up or something?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
smarmy is used to describe the following personality traits: a smartass, know it all, superier to you personality. At home i most often hear it used to describe attitude, ie 'he had a smamry attitude"    

when i rolled my eyes at my mother (earning myself a backhand most often) i was refered to as acting "smarmy"

Pretty much. Think of a British guy lecturing you on grammer and pronounciation in the middle of a conversation. No offense to our smarmy Brits.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

No, it's not Northern.  Websters calls it "marked by a smug, ingratiating, or false earnestness."

That's my understanding.

Basically, it's when someone acts like they care about something, but seems to carry about a sign saying "I do this for everyone and I really don't give a ____."
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Think used car salesmen.  Smarmy means oozing the kind of false friendliness that barely hides the fact that the person is trying to con you out of something.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What, did your parents only speak Bulgarian in the home when you were growing up or something?

nope. I just never heard smarmy before.

and i officialy derailed this thread. you're welcome.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Sincerity is the key, once you can fake that, you have it made.....
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nope. I just never heard smarmy before.

and i officialy derailed this thread. you're welcome.

So anyway, where's the details?  What did the smarmy, uncutous guy do?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Did he have his boy with him ?

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Did she point and laugh uncontrollably?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

She said that guests had to pay for food and booze ("You'd think Teresa could afford to throw a birthday party.")

Kerry kept taking cheap shots at Bush, and came across as bitter and vindictive. She also thought he had an insincere aura about him.

She got the impression that Teresa was clueless about the important issues.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She said that guests had to pay for food and booze ("You'd think Teresa could afford to throw a birthday party.")

Kerry kept taking cheap shots at Bush, and came across as bitter and vindictive. She also thought he had an insincere aura about him.

The guests had to pay for food and booze??  How many guests were there?   Sounds like Kerry is smarmy and friggin cheap.  By the way, congrats to your daughter:  she seems to be both observant and an excellent judge of character.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Did she change her party affiliation afterwards?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Everyone missed the important question.

What the FUCK was your daughter doing at John Kerry's b-day party?

I'd have gone...  He's a has-been, and is no longer dangerous.   After all, it is a catered party...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#22]

I never met the guy and don't run in his type of social circle( I'm just a serf to "The Man"). But that is how he came across to me during the Presidential race. Just blowing enough smoke up our ass to get the "little mans" vote.

President Bush reminds me of a rich Texas frat boy who was given everything all his life and never had to really try because he could always go back to mommy and daddy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

She said that guests had to pay for food and booze

Where there is money, there are good looking women on the hunt.  Alexandra Kerry likely has some FINE friends, and she's not so bad herself.  You pie faced girl fans can have Jenna Bush.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#25]
This is excellent!!! It confirms everything I ever thought of the asshole!!! After all who else would throw a birthday party and then expect the 'guests' to pay for it!!!......
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I would have gone...

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
This is excellent!!! It confirms everything I ever thought of the asshole!!! After all who else would throw a birthday party and then expect the 'guests' to pay for it!!!......

Isn't that the liberal platform?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where there is money, there are good looking women on the hunt.  Alexandra Kerry likely has some FINE friends, and she's not so bad herself.  You pie faced girl fans can have Jenna Bush.

the bush girls are hot.  i'd stick both of em'.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Her boss scored her an invitation.

I would have gone if I had the opportunity.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Her boss scored her an invitation.

I would have gone if I had the opportunity.

You could have brought him the Gomco as a gift!  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Once upon a time, people had enough respect for the President to not say things like that about his family.

You think you could edit that post?

[/hijack]

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once upon a time, people had enough respect for the President to not say things like that about his family.

[/hijack]

Yeah, like you never said anything about Hillary in her pre-senator days, nor did you comment on Chelsea's trip from the top of the ugly tree.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

eh.  i've lost a lot of respect...  something about him letting dealers, killers, rapists, and terrorists into our country.

but since i'm in a good mood, i'll edit the hard nipples part(but knowing this place, i'm sure there will be more comments)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[/hijack]

Yeah, like you never said anything about Hillary in her pre-senator days, nor did you comment on Chelsea's trip from the top of the ugly tree.

Did I post pictures?

Was I even a member of arfcom when Clinton was President?

I didn't think so - but thanks for your concern.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.  Gathering from the definition, and what I know about Kerry, sounds about right.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I've never heard it used in real life, only on message boards
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#37]

So my daughter went to John Kerry's birthday party...

Rodent,

When I first read your thread title, I thought, damn, It breaks a fathers heart to have to
disown their child. I'm glad that's not the case

Job well done.

GM

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted: the bush girls are hot.  i'd stick both of em'.
That Marine is checking out Barbara Bush.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#39]
How many times did he remind the party guests that he served in Vietnam?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:57:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Did she point and laugh uncontrollably?

LOL.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'll use the word in a sentence for context.

I had chili for dinner last night and then went to the bathroom to take a huge smarmy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Oh, that's real class right there.

What a pair of shrill, bitter parvenus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top