Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 11:03:39 AM EDT
I want to put a locking drawer/compartment under the rear seat on my 05 F-350 Crew Cab.  Has anyone else done something similar?  Is there a companie that makes something like this?  I thought I saw one a long time ago, but I can't find it.

Thanks,
Dan.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Try these guys: www.handgunsafe.com

357mag
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
+1
If I ever get enough money, I'll have one of these "The Handgun Box"es welded onto my truck passenger compartment floor.  I have one now inside my house, and can't say enough good things about it.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  That one looks good.  I'm looking for something that can hold a shotgun or 3.  Maybe I can get an interier place to fab something up.  Since the rear seat bottoms fold up, I would just need to have under the seats boxed in I guess.

Thanks,
Dan.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good- one question, how thick in inches is "7 gauge"?

Never mind, it's this thick.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll never store a gun in a vehicle, safe or not.  Vehicle gets stolen > Safe gets stolen.  Safe gets stolen > Gun gets stolen.  Once it's in the chop-shop, it's a matter of seconds before they go to work on your fancy safe with a plasma-cutter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#6]
+1.

Don't leave anything irreplacable or fancy in your car.  Worry more about concealment than locking.

Only thing locking might help prevent is a gun from being stole if someone simply breaks into your car for the purpose of robbing it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not worried about a chop shop.  I'm not really worried about thieves.  Don't have much of a problem with either around here.  I'd just like to have a rather large out of sight place to keep a firearm or other stuff.  It is unused space in the truck.

Don't the police need a warrant to search locked compartents?  

Thanks for the help,
Dan.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Be careful with this if you do it yourself.  If you build a compartment inside your vehicle, do not make it appear as if it is a "hidden" compartment.  Welding a lock box under or behind the seat is fine but putting a compartment behind the dashboard or concealed beneath the vehicle carpeting could be a no-no.  It is against federal law to sell a vehicle that contains a "hidden" compartment.

It doesn't sound like you're after anyhthing like that , just thought I'd let you know about the "hidden" compartment dangers.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info. Good to know.

I think I will just have Tweeter audio make something if I can't find the locking drawer.  

Thanks for the help,
Dan.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Be careful with this if you do it yourself.  If you build a compartment inside your vehicle, do not make it appear as if it is a "hidden" compartment.  Welding a lock box under or behind the seat is fine but putting a compartment behind the dashboard or concealed beneath the vehicle carpeting could be a no-no.  It is against federal law to sell a vehicle that contains a "hidden" compartment.

It doesn't sound like you're after anyhthing like that , just thought I'd let you know about the "hidden" compartment dangers.  Good luck!

whoa!  Are you serious?  Link to that law...  that is messed up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I can try to find a link to it, I'll post it if I can find it.  The law was enacted to prevent "gangs" in the larger metro area's from building hidden compartments in vehicles and selling them to those who would use the compartments to transport large sums of money and narcotics.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1....

Within the last 5 or so years, LA State Patrolmen (surprise, surprise ) were confiscating desirable cars along I-10 for personal gain, using the part of the RICO statue that allows them to do so on the basis of hidden or potentiall hidden compartments enabling the driver to conceal drugs or drug paraphernalia.  Mind you, we're talking about citation of glove boxes & hub caps as PC.  It was blatant abuse, & typical of gov't workers, I don't think anyone was ever prosecuted for it.  But, you can see the potential if you put in a truly "hidden" compartment.

Bottom line: Don't do it.  You'll just be giving the po-po PC to ruin your life.  Remember, this isn't your father's America.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's one:
www.usdoj.gov/dea/programs/forensicsci/microgram/mg1203/mg1203.html
o
o
o
Possession of hidden compartments or "automotive safes," as they are known in commercial parlance, is not illegal in most states.1 Hidden compartments are illegal in only a handful of states to include California, Illinois, and Michigan.2 Penalties for possession of illegal traps vary from seizure of the vehicle in Illinois, to jail or prison time not to exceed 1 year in California. Conversely, trap fabricators in California, "shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for 16 months or from 2 to 3 years." There are several companies throughout the United States . . .
o
o
o
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here's one:
www.usdoj.gov/dea/programs/forensicsci/microgram/mg1203/mg1203.html
o
o
o
Possession of hidden compartments or "automotive safes," as they are known in commercial parlance, is not illegal in most states.1 Hidden compartments are illegal in only a handful of states to include California, Illinois, and Michigan.2 Penalties for possession of illegal traps vary from seizure of the vehicle in Illinois, to jail or prison time not to exceed 1 year in California. Conversely, trap fabricators in California, "shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for 16 months or from 2 to 3 years." There are several companies throughout the United States . . .
o

RICO is a federal statute.  If they want to leverage fed laws to bust your chops, they can do it, no problem.  Play dice w/ a gov't employee who knows he/she will get career bonus points by screwing up your life, & who has county, state, & fed prosecutors in their corner, & chances are, you'll probably be rolling snake eyes.

This is not your father's America.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Hooray for the war on drugs.

They made empty boxes illegal.  That is fucking INSANE.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#17]
From the article:

A difficulty in identifying these traps is that they often exhibit no signs of alteration and, therefore, may be overlooked by law enforcement officers during the course of a routine search at the scene of a traffic stop.

Isn't it nice to know that they see vehicle searches as routine at traffic stops?

357mag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top